Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 29 Jul 18, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Cancelling Sanibel - where can we go for 2 nights?

Has anyone got any suggestions for where we can spend 2 nights on the way from Miami to Orlando? We were going to have 2 nights on Sanibel island in a few weeks, but the reports of the Red Tide are horrendous and we don't think it's worth the money to stay right on the beach if we can't use it

We are coming back down the East coast after Orlando (Cocoa Beach, then somewhere else on the way to 3 nights in Key Largo) so not sure if we should go up the East coast now or stick to the West coast even though the beaches are a no no.

It's just us and our 10 yr old - anyone got any ideas?
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marciehatter View Post
Has anyone got any suggestions for where we can spend 2 nights on the way from Miami to Orlando? We were going to have 2 nights on Sanibel island in a few weeks, but the reports of the Red Tide are horrendous and we don't think it's worth the money to stay right on the beach if we can't use it

We are coming back down the East coast after Orlando (Cocoa Beach, then somewhere else on the way to 3 nights in Key Largo) so not sure if we should go up the East coast now or stick to the West coast even though the beaches are a no no.

It's just us and our 10 yr old - anyone got any ideas?
I am in St Augustine at the moment and it's a really nice place, lovely. I normally go to Naples and Sanibel area but I'll be back here. A good place to stay is where we are, any property on the A1A. We are directly on the very nice beach. A short drive over the bridge to the Old Town. Not built up at all, all buildings only a few stories. Lots of restaurants and supermarkets about. It's perfect and the old town is really lovely.
Old 29 Jul 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you go further up the West Coast, the Red tide doesn’t seem too bad. The area of St Pete’s seems to be clear

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for the replies - would love to go to St Augustine some day but it's a bit too far up for this trip - same for St Pete's really, we've stayed around there a couple of times before and really liked it, but we need somewhere around half way between Miami and Orlando ideally.

Maybe a night in Naples, then Sarasota? Don't know what there is to do there without visiting beaches as we haven't been before. Or on the other coast, maybe Fort Lauderdale or Juno/Jupiter beach? Help!
marciehatter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I'd stay at Breakers Palm Beach, love it there
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you considered staying at South Beach, Miami and just collecting the car a couple of days days later?
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Have you considered staying at South Beach, Miami and just collecting the car a couple of days days later?
I'm a bit scared of South Beach (!) - it looks a bit noisy as well, we like our peace and quiet! Have thought about staying in Miami but booked the car with BA and not sure we can change that now. Was looking at airbnb places with parking but not feeling very brave!
Old 29 Jul 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
singerella
Excited about Disney

oh no, we're due to stay in Sanibel at the end of August and I hadn't heard anything about red tide?!
singerella is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
marciehatter
slightly serious Dibber

I've been looking on the Sanibel forum on tripadvisor and it sounds awful - think we're going to give the gulf coast a miss this trip. We've been to Clearwater and Indian Rocks before and loved it
Old 29 Jul 18, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sara_toga
VIP Dibber

I am concerned and we don't go until September. We have four nights booked right on the beach at Fort Myres beach.

After having to cancel the Gulf Coast part of our trip last year due to Irma this is the last thing I want