Notices

Old 3 Aug 18, 02:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

New England Summer 2018: Day 6 - Ben & Jerry's Tour And Warren Swimming Hole

It has been an amazing day!

Again, we were awake early! 5.30am for J, 6.30am for the rest of us!

F made us pancakes for breakfast - and we used the maple syrup that the owner had left us. Delicious! Today was Ice Cream Day!

It was about a 30 minute drive to the Ben & Jerry's Tour. We easily parked up and headed in via the photo opportunities outside!

We were just on time for the 9.20am tour led by Alison.

We first watched a film on the history of the company and then headed up to the mezzanine overlooking their factory set up. No photos were allowed but as usual someone didn't think that instruction applied to them...

After the explanation about how the ice cream is made, we were taken downstairs to try some! The sample today was Gimme S'Mores. It was delicious! They had an extra pot and offered it up! F waited yo see of anyone jumped in but as they didn't she did!

It was one of the nicest of their ice creams I had tasted!

On the way to the graveyard, we passed their vats! Interesting that the sugar vat was the biggest one!

The graveyard was funny. Some odd flavours! You can see why they didn't work.

You can see how it really is in the mountains!

We headed back to the gift shop where magnets were acquired. And as we hadn't had enough ice cream we ordered more. The only rule was that it had to be a flavour we couldn't get at home.

My cinndoughrella was a big hit!

In total we were there about 1 h45. For the $4 each it cost it was worth it as we were so close to it. I wouldn't go just for it but if you are in Vermont, it is a good activity.

We then headed south along Route 100 to Warren which took about 40 minutes. Just after the town, there was a carpark for the swimming hole.

It was a 5 minute walk from the car. J and the kids got changed into their swimsuits.

O and J were in their element jumping from the rocks. F was less do - she didn't like the water up her nose.

But she gave it a good go!

She was happy to sit in the rocks adding to the swirly dam!

The boys just kept on jumping - no doubt it exhausted them as they both fell asleep on the way back!

We were here about 1h45. Both boys were getting cold! O asked if we can go back! Simple pleasures!

We headed back, had a quick sandwich then F got Meghan ready to go on a ride. I was the nominated adult to accompany her!

Meghan is another big horse - F is more used to ponies but coped perfectly.

We went on a track through the centre's land. In one area F and Meghan had a lot of fun cantering around. The scenery was spectacular!

We were out about an hour. F loved it. Once we got back she put everything away and cleaned up Meghan. Indeed, most of the evening she has been up and down to see the horses! She is so thrilled and the owners are so flexible!

O and I went out to get some salmon - we all fancied that for dinner. We saw these goldens in the car park!

Fish bought, I made a maple syrup marinade. Once it had marinated, I grilled it. We had it with rice and roasted veggies!

So we are all shattered! It has been such a lovely day!

Edited at 03:07 AM.
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 3 Aug 18 3:03 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Mmmmm the ice cream sounds delicious. The scenery around you is so stunning. And how brilliant to be so near the horses for F.
Old 3 Aug 18, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

So excited for your report each day! We will be in Vermont next Friday and will be at Ben and Jerry’s that evening - I’m liking the sound of your ice cream flavours! Yum! 😊
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 18, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a lovely day

Joan
Old 3 Aug 18, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

Looks like a lovely day.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 18, 07:37 PM  
Link to this Post
i love jack
Apprentice Imagineer

Mmm Ben & Jerry’s s’mores sound amazing and the scenery looks beautiful.
Old 11 Aug 18, 06:09 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Another perfect day, loving it all the factory tour, swimming hole and the riding. Such a great mix !
WileyCoyote is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 18, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
What a bargain for the tour of the ice-cream factory. Loved the photo of the graveyard of past flavours.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 18, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Mmmmm the ice cream sounds delicious. The scenery around you is so stunning. And how brilliant to be so near the horses for F.
I was impressed with the tour! And the ice cream was delicious! And all in such a great environment!

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
So excited for your report each day! We will be in Vermont next Friday and will be at Ben and Jerry’s that evening - I’m liking the sound of your ice cream flavours! Yum! 😊
Did you have fun too?

Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a lovely day

Joan
It was - one of my favourite days of the trip!

Originally Posted by Libby View Post
Looks like a lovely day.
It was

Originally Posted by i love jack View Post
Mmm Ben & Jerry’s s’mores sound amazing and the scenery looks beautiful.
I wish we could get the smores ice cream here but I don’t think the French would get it

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Another perfect day, loving it all the factory tour, swimming hole and the riding. Such a great mix !
The swimming hole was probably O’s favourite activity. He would love to have one near home!

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
What a bargain for the tour of the ice-cream factory. Loved the photo of the graveyard of past flavours.
Some of the past flavours were funny! I could understand why there were no more!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List