Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 14 Sep 18, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

DAS pass for mild issues

My 8 year old has a combo of dyspraxia and hyper mobile joints. Day-to-day it’s not a massive issue but he really struggles with walking long distances and his legs tire quickly (and he gets upset) if he’s on his feet for more than an hour or so.

I really don’t want to end up hiring some sort of buggy/chair for him as he’ll want to be in it all the time. Plus avoidng walking is not the message we should be sending to him as we are meant to be working on improving his muscle tone and strength!

I’m wondering if he’d qualify for a DAS pass? My understanding is that you don’t ‘gain’ anything on queuing time with these, more you mark your place in the queue and then sit down and have an ice-cream or whatever before returning after a period of time equal to the queue time. This would suit him really well I think. I’m not sure we’d even use it all the time but towards the end of the day I think it would make a huge difference to him (and therefore us all).

Having said all that I don’t want to take advantage if this system is intended for people with moderate to severe disabilities. Anyone had any experience of using DAS pass for milder issues? Grateful for any thoughts.
HelenLime is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

The das is not for mobility issues, which i think this would fall under. Maybe worth taking time out to sit more within your day if walking is the issue, and standing.
Maybe if the mobility is an issue hire a wheelchair, the lines are wheelchair accessible, and that may work better for you .

Jules
signtalker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks for the reply.
hmm...perhaps it’s a case of just taking it really slowly. We’re staying onsite at universal so those days will be easier as we can pop back for a rest. It’s the Disney days that have the potential to be a bit too much for him.
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

My daughter has autism as well as hypermobility and we got DAS and similar at other parks for her to benefit from, I think it was given more on her autism though than her hyoermobility but others with children in a similar situation may know more, we take the parks at lillys pace but it amazed us how she rarely complained of pain and tiredness, think she got easily distracted by so much going on around her but when she wanted a rest we did so, any excuse for a drink or snack. We found with fast pass and this things worked beautifully together, we only used the DAS or other assistance passes at other parks on a handful of occasions as at Disney fast pass was the biggest help to us.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
dismadbrit
Imagineer

dismadbrit's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I wouldn't dispel the idea of a wheelchair totally, just the walk from the parking lots to the gates can be quite a distance and despite plenty of rests you will be walking literally miles.

I'd play it by ear once you get there but you all might have a less stressful holiday (all of you) without a tired and upset child.
I saw a post on another site and her average walking distance per day in the parks was 7 miles, not sure how accurate this was but add the heat factor and it could be long tiring days.
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I would hire one of the larger pushchairs/ wheelchair. You should be able to keep him in it for the queue and it'll be a good place for you to lean on
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 18, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
HelenLime
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks all - really helpful advice and suggestions.
We’re working hard to increase his stamina but I know that a few miles in the English autumn weather has nothing on 10 miles in Florida. He may surprise us but it’s good to have some back-up strategies to employ 😊
Old 14 Sep 18, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
If you can, plan your days around the shows & rides?
Walk to a ride, use a FP, then find a show nearby where you can sit down for a while (and it won't seem like you are just sitting to rest),then try another ride, then show. See if that can break the day up a bit.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I have Hypermobility Syndrome. There are varying degrees of it. I always get a DAS. Hypermobility doesn't just affect joints, it can have all manner of different problems that come with it.

I take a wheelchair and crutches. I HAVE to alternate between using the wheelchair, using my crutches and walking unaided. If I don't I seize up by being in the wheelchair and the pain becomes unreal. If I just use my crutches my shoulder dislocate and I end up in a heap on the floor - which I then can't get back up from. If I just use my legs - we can last a couple of hours at most.

Hypermobility can also bring about fatigue, anxiety, dizzyness/fainting, digestion issues. Thankfully I only suffer from fatigue, anxiety and dizzyness which we have slowly over the years realised is connected to my Hypermobility.

Generally when I speak to them in Disney about needing the DAS I explain that it's not suitable for me to be in a wheelchair all day and that's fine. I've also had the DAS every year we've been. I can't do full days in the parks, I need to go back to the hotel and sleep in the middle of the day. I get really stressed when I am in pain and just sitting in the wheelchair for a bit will not relieve the pain - I need to be able to do a mixture of things, click all my joints, dislocate my shoulders (normally repeatedly until they sit correctly - correctly for me, incorrectly for anyone with normal joints) stretch, lie down, walk, move, sit - the list goes on. When I get pain in the top of my neck it's game over for a few hours at the very least. That's a hot water bottle, pain killers and cool and sooth patch job as it gives me the mother of all tension headaches!

Just because it is a mobility issue doesn't mean the DAS isn't right for you. Without it I wouldn't be going back to Disney. There's absolutely no way. I always build up a panic about getting it because one year in AK one cast member was adamant that I wouldn't need it. But after crying and explaining everything for the millionth time she gave in.

I had no problems at all on the other trips and I was prepared for another fight, but honestly the cast members were amazing. I am worried again because of that experience with the one cast member in AKL but fingers crossed I won't see her again!

I don't know if you're doing universal - but in previous years they have been fantastic with me - simple process and takes a couple of minutes.

I know Florida is hot - but take a hot water bottle. When my joints are inflamed it's the only thing that will help - I don't find ice works.

Apologies - that was longer than I had anticipated - but Hypermobility isn't always as clear cut as it seems! If you saw me in the parks on a morning when I didn't have my crutches/wheelchair - you honestly wouldn't know there was an issue until it gets really bad. Annoyingly I can go from not being in any pain, to being ready to remove my legs within the next 30 minutes.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

One of the teens in our family has ADHD. We go to guest services and always take the letter from the Consultant with us (have not been asked to produce it) and we get (I cannot remember the name of the card) but you show it to the cast member at the ride, and they give you a time to come back for the ride. This means you can walk around, have a snack or a sit down then come back when you time is ready. This I believe has been seriously cut back over the past 3/4 years, as people began to abuse it, I suspect by not having the disability they said they did. We have found this invaluable so that all in the family enjoys their WDW days with no real issues.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List