Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 5 Oct 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
We'll always use the official port parking, more expensive but worth it for less hassle factor we think

Like how in Miami we could literally park the car more or less alongside the ship, walk across a small road and be on the ship itself. We could see our car from on-board, from our cabin balcony!
Thanks - especially being our first time, the less complications the better!

So up for this cruise!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I am really not sure I can justify paying hire charges and parking charges for a car I'm not even in the same country as.
Our experience (at Port Canaveral) was so easy ... we dropped the car, straight onto a shuttle to the ship ... same in reverse. No hassle , no waiting. The only advantage I can see is if you want to do early disembarkation and carry your own bags off the ship if you have somewhere you need to be. For us we tagged our bags the night before and had them collected so morning was a leisurely breakfast and we sat on deck before strolling off ship, picking up our bags fort a queue free customs and immigration. I'm on holiday ... I'm in no rush.
Obviously I realise not all ports may be so easy (as I'm currently eying up a cruise from Miami maybe I should find out)

It really wasn't complicated ... and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to join the queues to get off at the expense of breakfast and a little more relaxation. Save your money and take your time rather than join the lemmings rushing to get off They have to get back to work... you don't !

Edited at 10:48 AM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

So, kinda related to parking...

Out ship sailing time is 4pm - when should we board - read you can get on earlier than the boarding time to enjoy more of ship.

Ditto disembarking - says we dock at 6am - so I was assuming it was straight off then... no time for b'fast...not sure how that works...
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by stupet11 View Post
So, kinda related to parking...

Out ship sailing time is 4pm - when should we board - read you can get on earlier than the boarding time to enjoy more of ship.

Ditto disembarking - says we dock at 6am - so I was assuming it was straight off then... no time for b'fast...not sure how that works...

When you do online check in you'll be given a board time it'll probably be noon or 1pm ish ... once on board the buffet will be open and you'll be free to eat and explore the ship , have a drink etc , depending on what time you board your cabin may or may not be ready , about 1.30 is normal. Your bags will be taken to your cabin so you just get to start the fun !

First disembarkation is at around 7 if you want to carry your own bags off ... but you don't have to (see my post above) linger over breakfast , catch a few rays and disembark at 9 or 10 avoiding the crush.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Thanks.

That's interesting you can stay on board after cruise for a while.

I guess we can tag bags regardless of where we park? It's only a 3 day cruise so parking cost not an issue maybe Ł30 more to park at terminal?
Old 5 Oct 18, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Thanks.

That's interesting you can stay on board after cruise for a while.

I guess we can tag bags regardless of where we park? It's only a 3 day cruise so parking cost not an issue maybe Ł30 more to park at terminal?
No idea of the cost (extra days hire as well don't forget) but I just couldn't see any benefit to it .
People seemed to be queued up to leave the parking area whereas we just drove straight out of the carhire compound. It seems to me it's not worth it.
We also changed our car size before and after the cruise though. We had a 7 seater as we had other family with us in Orlando who flew home before the cruise so we switched it for a Mustang for after
Old 5 Oct 18, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
No idea of the cost (extra days hire as well don't forget) but I just couldn't see any benefit to it .
People seemed to be queued up to leave the parking area whereas we just drove straight out of the carhire compound. It seems to me it's not worth it.
We also changed our car size before and after the cruise though. We had a 7 seater as we had other family with us in Orlando who flew home before the cruise so we switched it for a Mustang for after
That’s our way of doing it - some folk seem so stressed on disembarkation day! We always drop the rental car off and pick up a new one post cruise - however we do cruise for 10 to 14 days so that does make a difference financially, but for a 3 day cruise I can see the point if folk want to park up and leave non-cruise stuff in the car.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 18, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
but for a 3 day cruise I can see the point if folk want to park up and leave non-cruise stuff in the car.
Oh, hadn't thought of that - we could do that!
Old 5 Oct 18, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Oh, hadn't thought of that - we could do that!
We do that! Handy not to have to drag all your stuff on the ship, makes it easier all round
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List