Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 29 Oct 18, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
tillymoon
Excited about Disney

we stayed on madeira beach , easter 2017, it was amazing , we stayed in condos literally across the road from St johns pass had a beach front condo (used sun host resorts) the views are breath taking! we had dolphins swimming past our balcony!

have a google of sun host , they have a lot of properties at St johns pass to choose from, i would go there again in a heartbeat, but with so much of Floridas beautiful coast to see i think were going to try AMI or further down next time.

100% recommend Madeira/st john pass, we liked not having to use the car of an evening, having a walk around the boarwalk, having a drink, something to eat or even just getting pizzas for a chilled out night in the condo watching the sun set with a glass of wine, magical!

DLP 2012
WDW, SSR, RPR and Gulf coast 2017
next trip WDW, US, DS, SW -Easter 2020 !
tillymoon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 18, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tim17 View Post
We're staying in IS in a couple of weeks time and have rented a townhouse via VRBO. I did the same checks as Scooby and have had direct contact with the owners so am as confident as I can be that everything's legit.
Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
We've used VRBO (part of the Homeaway group) for our rentals in Indian Shores; our first rental was around 10 years ago & we've stayed in 4 separate condo locations in IS with them; all our rentals were as advertised & per the description/photos.

In terms of ensuring the property is real, I guess, we did the usual; checked Google maps, checked if the properties were listed on other rental sites & that the rental calendars on each matched up in terms of bookings, avoided those with empty/near empty calendars or calendars not updated (why?), avoided those whose price sounded too cheap compared to similar properties, looked at reviews (how many & do they sound real, e.g., mention of owner by name & contact with them, mention of what they did locally, mention of good and any minor 'bad' points of the property) & paid via credit card.

We now stay in the same condo 3 times a year so no need to look at other condos; we rent & communicate directly with the owner who gives us great prices, far lower than the advertised rate, holds 'our weeks' for us until we can confirm definite dates & has given us our own closet space so we can leave our beach stuff, toiletries, hairdryer & shoes etc there.
Originally Posted by tillymoon View Post
we stayed on madeira beach , easter 2017, it was amazing , we stayed in condos literally across the road from St johns pass had a beach front condo (used sun host resorts) the views are breath taking! we had dolphins swimming past our balcony!

have a google of sun host , they have a lot of properties at St johns pass to choose from, i would go there again in a heartbeat, but with so much of Floridas beautiful coast to see i think were going to try AMI or further down next time.

100% recommend Madeira/st john pass, we liked not having to use the car of an evening, having a walk around the boarwalk, having a drink, something to eat or even just getting pizzas for a chilled out night in the condo watching the sun set with a glass of wine, magical!
Great thanks guys, will check out VRBO and also follow the recommendations to check that it's real! I do usually do some checks as much as I can but I still worry! I will also check out Sun Host.

We are not doing Orlando at all next visit and are planning a week at AMI (which we do every time now as we love the place) and then we were wanting to do some other costal places as well but we don't want to move about too much. So far on my list now is Indian Shores, Naples, Cape Coral & possibly south Fort Myers Beach (we stayed there this year for 2 nights but the prices for the same place have increased a fair bit this time so it might be off the cards!)

Edited at 10:19 AM.
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
Great thanks guys, will check out VRBO and also follow the recommendations to check that it's real! I do usually do some checks as much as I can but I still worry! I will also check out Sun Host.

We are not doing Orlando at all next visit and are planning a week at AMI (which we do every time now as we love the place) and then we were wanting to do some other costal places as well but we don't want to move about too much. So far on my list now is Indian Shores, Naples, Cape Coral & possibly south Fort Myers Beach (we stayed there last year for 2 nights but the prices for the same place have increased a fair bit this time so it might be off the cards!)
We stayed in Naples for 4 nights this year and loved the place so heading back there for 12 nights next year. We have a beautiful villa booked on Lely Estate sort of between Naples and Marco Island. Great shopping, some cracking restaurants (Brooks burgers and Citrus Seafood to name a couple) and will venture into the Everglades again to spot some gators. I also want to post a postcard for my dad from the smallest post office in USA which is close to Naples. We too are looking for somewhere to stay between Tampa and Naples for our other 4 nights. Was contemplating Anna Maria Island but struggling for accommodation for nights. Will keep checking on this thread for ideas.
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 18, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
We stayed in Naples for 4 nights this year and loved the place so heading back there for 12 nights next year. We have a beautiful villa booked on Lely Estate sort of between Naples and Marco Island. Great shopping, some cracking restaurants (Brooks burgers and Citrus Seafood to name a couple) and will venture into the Everglades again to spot some gators. I also want to post a postcard for my dad from the smallest post office in USA which is close to Naples. We too are looking for somewhere to stay between Tampa and Naples for our other 4 nights. Was contemplating Anna Maria Island but struggling for accommodation for nights. Will keep checking on this thread for ideas.
Venice?
Would continue the Italian theme! 😃
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
OLS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MinniMouse View Post
Good to hear your experience of naples. I have looked at some properties on the Lely Estate I think (is that the one with the extra charge for the club level access?)

I think if you look on here for Anna Maria Island thread there are quite a lot of recommendations for 2+ night stay places, as you are correct a lot of the villas have a min 7 night stay. so far we have always used annamaria/vacation-r...w-all-rentals/ (not on purpose it just so happens every time we pick the perfect villa for us it's with the same company) and they are super helpful - if you email them your dates they will let you know what properties are available (if any) for the 4 nights
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 18, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
clyde/seymore
Serious Dibber

I like both but we usually stay in Madeira. Only got back a couple of weeks ago. It’s great as we’re in walking distance to Johns Pass so it’s nice for my husband to not have to drive.

We’ve never found the beach or johns Pass to be that busy but could be the time of year when we go. The beach is beautiful, I find the beach further up towards reddington area not as nice sand wise, too much crushed shell.

I’m sure you’ll like either area though!
clyde/seymore is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 18, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
dippy lippy
Excited about Disney

To add to suggestions - Ive just returned from a weeks stay at Treasure Island Beach Resort - on Treasure Island just a short distance from Maderia and Indian. Would highly recommend. Lovely new hotel with suite facilities and views of the gulf. On the beach, which is huge so never felt busy/crowded at all. Short drive to St. Johns Pass - also very good restaurant at the hotel and one just over the road also.
Have fun choosing
dippy lippy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List