Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 13 Nov 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

By the end of 2018, 100% of our own brand food will contain no palm oil. We are the first UK supermarket to commit to removing palm oil from all own brand food.

This is what they are aiming for !
I used to work for a food manufacturer and Iceland have always been very ethical. Im sure they were one of the first to ban GM foods.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We have shared it on Facebook and also a lot of our friends, so most probably a lot more people are seeing it.

Well done Iceland.

Melvin and Lesley
Old 13 Nov 18, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I found it really upsetting, but feel it should be shown, possibly after 9pm watershed. It may be political but it’s an important message which we need to be aware of. I congratulate Iceland on banning palm oil from their products, and hope others will follow their example. Since seeing this we have been looking at labels more carefully and are saddened to see how many things include palm oil.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Lets just face it Iceland knew what they were doing.They have everyone talking , lots of publicity and are creating a great talking point and removing palm oil prom their products.
Overall very successful the message is 'louder' and publicity has been 'greater' overall a win win.

Just to clarify if they had said green peace had made it would then it have been allowed ?
why spend millions of pounds putting it on television when they can just go viral due to it being "banned"

i bet iceland's marketing team are getting a nice big christmas bonus from the money they "saved"
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
sparklegirl
VIP Dibber

I was watching the guy from Iceland being interviewed this morning and I have no issue with the message or the advert however Iceland ethics only exist as far as their own branded products it does not extend to other brands they carry so they still profit from products containing palm oil. They are not fully putting their money where their mouth is so whilst I applaud their sentiments and the raising of the issue they are not quite as ethical as I think they want folks to believe. Very very clever marketing i would say.
sparklegirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 02:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sparklegirl View Post
I was watching the guy from Iceland being interviewed this morning and I have no issue with the message or the advert however Iceland ethics only exist as far as their own branded products it does not extend to other brands they carry so they still profit from products containing palm oil. They are not fully putting their money where their mouth is so whilst I applaud their sentiments and the raising of the issue they are not quite as ethical as I think they want folks to believe. Very very clever marketing i would say.
But they are doing something which is better than nothing. I’ve got to applaud them for at least making a start which others will hopefully follow. If they refused to stock products which palm oil is in their shelves would be pretty empty. It’s scary how many items it’s used in. But, as you said, very clever marketing and I hope they carry it on and it has a positive effect.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

I believe change starts with education and this advert is educating people to the catastrophic destruction happening. I try to avoid all products containing palm oil but it isn't easy.

I too have shared the facebook page.
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Lets just face it Iceland knew what they were doing.They have everyone talking , lots of publicity and are creating a great talking point and removing palm oil prom their products.
Overall very successful the message is 'louder' and publicity has been 'greater' overall a win win.

Just to clarify if they had said green peace had made it would then it have been allowed ?
No.

It is purely BECAUSE it is a Greenpeace film that it has been banned.

Greenpeace is a political organisation :“An advertisement contravenes the prohibition on political advertising if it is:
An advertisement which is inserted by or on behalf of a body whose objects are wholly or mainly of a political nature
.”
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Has anyone seen various online adverts from Chester Zoo? Or infomation from the WWF and others?

They advocate that a ban on all palm oil is not the way to go. All that boycotting palm oil does is increase demand for other less efficient edible oils which can have an even greater negative environmental impact.

Instead, they want consumers and companies to switch to sustainable palm oil, not to boycott palm oil.

chesterzoo/support-us/palm-oil

wwf.uk/updates/transforming-palm-oil

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Anything to save our planet and raise awareness has to be good , better than a dog jumping on a trampoline anyday.
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List