Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Nov 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

i find packages tend to be cheaper may and june, never found them cheaper in school hols. we also like to personalise, lots of hotels. locations etc which isn't always possible with a package, check out my signature, could never do that with a package
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22

Edited at 08:05 PM.
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Nov 18, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
mydogbaloo
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Our fly drive LGW-TPA 3 weeks from the end of June, with Large SUV for 3A and 1 teen is £2200 and villa is £1500 so to me is much better value 👌🏼

Edited at 04:07 PM.
mydogbaloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Nov 18, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Wooden Top View Post
To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if BA dropped this route at some point. They already fly into Miami often so I can't see how this route will remain viable. It clearly didn't for Norwegian. At least with Miami you have more chance of capturing business passengers (I know it's only 30 mins away but still).
I agree. As I mentioned it has been widely stated that BA only started that route to compete directly with Norwegian. If Norwegian stop going there then there would be absolutely no requirement for BA to keep flying there.
Old 2 Dec 18, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
Flying 11th June from Manchester.three weeks. 2 adults. 2 kid (3&4)
Your price is not a bad price some would say it is not a good price compared to some good DIY flight deals they can grab.

Your flights are with virgin which many on here swear by and would not fly any other airline.
I have used them and also others and find they compare no better or no worse than others

But you have extra such as sat nav and 2 car seats on your booking they can add a few hundred pound.

Alamo is a company that many use for car hire I have used them many times with no problems

Can not comment on your hotel a s we have always stayed in Villas as we prefer to have more room.

We have done both DIY and package and always get qoutes for both before we book.

For us DIY is best as we get to pick the home we stay in where as if we book a package most tend to be AOA so you do not know where your staying.

Your hot breakfast will more than likely be buffet style

Our price for 4 adults 15 nights this year is £807.50
4 bed villa on High Grove
Standard SUV from Avis
Flights with BA Manchester to Miami via London Heathrow.
We do not mind going indirect or driving from Miami as we have done it before
We are happy with the price we have paid, we know where the villa is and what it is like and that is our main reason for booking DIY not just the price factor.

If you are Happy with what you have booked and for the price you have paid then it does not matter what other think, you will always have some one who says you paid too much or you could of got this for that ect.

Its all about timing how you book what you are willing to do and what you want that determines if you can do it cheaper.

You find people with children just want to fly direct as it is quicker and easier for them.

Just enjoy your holiday
Old 2 Dec 18, 01:27 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Welshjim22 View Post
Separate is more often cheaper if just booking flights and car. Because your flight price is normally inflated to cover car and then the top up insurance on flydrive is almost as much as separate insured car. Accommodation adds another area they can get more money out of you or another area they can cut costs and pass on savings. It's just better to check both.
I think this would all depend on who you book your flight and car with, yes there are some fly drive that give you the smallest car for your party minus insurance so you then have to pay to upgrade the car and also pay the insurance but you can also book your car and flight together and pay a little extra to upgrade the car

£1991 flight with small car Car type: Group A - Ford Fiesta or similar
Small: Economy
£2092 flight and Large standard SUV Car type: Group W - Ford Edge or similar
So £101 to upgrade the car

Inclusive car rental
Includes Unlimited mileage, Customer Facility Fee, State Surcharge, Tire & Battery Fee, Veh. License Fee, Third Party Liability (TPL), Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)

So we did not have our prices inflated by the car and our flight prices were not inflated to cover the car as we got them before adding a car.

But I do understand what you mean because if we booked with a different airline it would be as you describe.
Old 2 Dec 18, 01:42 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Wooden Top View Post
Booking cheap flights over the last 20 odd years has taught me that these prices are completely random and will appear at random times. You just got to book at a price you are happy with.
Totally agree with this we watched flight prices from September 2017 when we last went and decided we are going back September 2019 until last week when we booked.
They were at a price that we were all happy with so we went ahead and booked
They were up and down at random and they even changed 3 times in one day.
When we booked last week end they dropped on Saturday and stayed that way Sunday but went back up Monday.
Even when people say there is a sale on I found the prices were only put up in the weeks running up to the sale.

I think it all comes down to supply.
Old 6 Dec 18, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
talicarr
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Fancealot View Post
I personally prefer to do it as a package, yes you can get some deals by doing it DIY, but for me i prefer to have all bases covered and 1 point of call if anything goes wrong.

My 2019 visit there's me and DW going as a package, sister, brother in law and parents doing DIY, we're staying in AKL with DDP and same tickets, so when flights are available and they've booked car hire etc we'll see if there is much of a difference in price. Another thing is i like to pay off the holiday bit by bit and we've paid over half of the holiday whereas the other 4 have only paid deposits on the hotel so far
Our holiday is going to be sooo much cheaper than yours
talicarr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So someone commented yesterday (not on here) that they think I spent too much for my package deal.

It was £3958.
This is virgin flights direct in June , with the v room.
Enclave suites studio room which is on I drive and includes hot breakfast.
Car hire-intermediate suv with the full Alamo insurance as it includes sat nav and two car seats.
For three weeks.
For 3 weeks I think it's fine

Our trip on 7th June for 2 weeks 3A 1C is
GLA-LGW-MCO
£2195 Flight and Hotel
£600 Car Hire
£650 to upgrade from studio to 2 bed with terrace

Other than that, Should so you there!
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We tend to book DIY but for 3 weeks flying direct I think that seems a decent price for flight,accommodation and car. Nowadays it’s the ticket prices that bump up the price.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Dec 18, 03:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
It was £3958.
I think that's an excellent price for direct flights from Manchester in June for 4 people, plus hotel for 3 weeks (with breakfast included), plus full car hire. That's cheaper than I've ever found!

I've often found packages to be cheaper than DIY, as long as the package is acceptable. DIY does provide a lot more flexibility (which obviously has it's benefits) but it's not necessarily cheaper - assuming you compare like-for-like.

What's most important is whether you are happy with the price. If you are, then go for it and ignore what others think. There will always be someone out there who can get a better deal.

Hope you have a great holiday!

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List