Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 1 Dec 18, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Kevybaby
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Need some honest advice :)

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to this so be nice We are a family of 4, 2 daughters who will be 13 and 10 when we make our first trip to Orlando in june 2019. I have booked 2 weeks universal tickets with an overnight stay in a universal hotel for a couple of days with fast passes. I have also booked discovery cove with sea world and busch gardens and was planning an overnight stay in Clearwater when visiting Busch gardens. My huge dilemma is, is it ok to give Disney a miss? We did Euro Disney a couple of years ago and did all the character dining etc. Will I regret it though and is there a relatively cheap way of doing magic kingdom for a day? Thanks in advance
Kevybaby is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Welcome
Assuming you are going for 2 weeks, I would say what you have booked is fine. Its so expensive now (especially Universal tkts compare to 3 years ago ( I think they have doubled) . I personally think now its better to get value from the tkts you buy. Having said all that, I have been alot of times. It would be difficult to not do Disney at all unless you were intending to go back. If you want to watch the Mk fireworks, go the the Polynesian Hotel beach where you can grab a dole whip & watch for free and its lovely.

EDIt... Cheap & Disney can't be said in the same sentence
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!

Edited at 06:40 PM.
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Disdaydream
Excited about Disney

Disdaydream's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Hi, it's really hard to say if you will regret not visiting Disney World as every family is different, there is plenty to see in Orlando without going to Disney but it is in a totally different league to Disneyland Paris.

Why not go onto YouTube and get a feel for what the Disney World parks offer, Tim Tracker does excellent informative vlogs. Also Magic Kingdom for us is our least favourite Disney park, we much prefer Animal Kingdom, so it might be worth researching a bit to see what your family would enjoy the most.

As for cheap Disney tickets, Disney is never cheap but you could buy a one day ticket from orlandoattractions I did a quick search on a random date in June and adult day tickets are about £107 each.

Hope this helps
Disdaydream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I can't imagine going to Orlando and not doing Disney. In fact, I think my last trip was going to Orlando and ONLY doing Disney.

I think it's important to realise that WDW is in a completely different league to all the other Disney resorts in the world. It's huge, and if I'm not mistaken covers an area larger than the size of San Francisco. It took me more than 20 minutes once to get from Magic Kingdom back to my on-site WDW hotel at 3am (no traffic).

Within that huge area, there are 4 full theme parks, 2 water parks, and 1 shopping/dining district. (Plus some minor diversions like mini golf). Something like 20-30 resort hotels. Each park is fully themed. MK is your standard Disney castle park. Epcot and Animal Kingdom are unlike any other Disney park elsewhere. DHS is somewhat similar to WDS in Paris (but still different). Each water park is themed. And Disney Springs is huge with lots to do (and buy and eat) there. Then within each theme park there are rides, character meets, areas to just hang out in and explore.

I'll also say that when I go to DLP I focus mainly on the rides there - there is a bit less atmospheric stuff going on there. At WDW I slow down, chill out, and take in all the atmospheric stuff. I can go to MK or Epcot, not do a ride at all, and still have fun enjoying the parades, fireworks, wandering around the country pavilions in Epcot, playing the sorcerers of the magic kingdom game in MK, watching the Dapper Dans... It's a completely different feel to being in DLP.

Sorry this ended up being a bit long... but what I'm basically trying to say is that WDW is a completely different beast to DLP, and I wouldn't try to predict what WDW is like based on a previous visit to DLP. I know that on my first visit to WDW as an adult I was completely overwhelmed and shocked at how huge it was (and this was after having visited DL Anaheim, having an annual pass to DLP, and DL Hong Kong in the few years just before). And while I wouldn't keep going back to even DL Anaheim year after year after year, I find myself drawn to go back to WDW year after year because there's just so much to see and do there.

Like others have said here - hard to find really cheap Disney tickets! But if you want to get a feel for WDW without going into the theme parks, you could:
- Explore Disney Springs
- Explore the WDW resort hotels and the Boardwalk area. This could include booking a meal at one of the restaurants here
- Try out the water parks (admission is much cheaper than to the regular parks, but it's also a different experience to be fair).
Old 1 Dec 18, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

We often do non Disney trips to Orlando so perfectly doable, but for a first trip, I don't think I could even contemplate not doing Disney.

You do have so much planned though, the only solution is to go back again in a couple of years and do Disney only

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It depends how much you love Disney and all that goes with it as well as what you enjoy doing.

I did a bit of Disney and a bit of universal in September but when I go next month I am doing universal only so that I can do it justice, plus I have an annual pass.

I think the cost for a family to do a bit of everything is ridiculous so perhaps just stick to what you are planning and next time you go you could Disney justice.

Have a look at undercover tourist for 1 day tickets if you need to get a fix but then you may get drawn in to spending more
Old 1 Dec 18, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I can’t say you will regret it - after all, you haven’t been before, so you don’t know what you are missing.

However, I would agree with other posters, that WDW is in an altogether different league to DLP. I couldn’t imagine going to Orlando and not visiting WDW if I had never been before, but then I am a massive Disney Parks fan, and so my mileage may well vary from yours.

One thing I can be certain of is that you will have an awesome trip even without Disney - I would probably just regret it as on all of the highways, Disney (and indeed universal), are very good at promoting all of their Parks on the billboards everywhere, so you will at least get glimpses of the types of things you are missing whilst you are there.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Mobile

This is a Disney forum, it's always going to be heavily biased towards all things Disney. I think your plans sound perfect, you'll have a fantastic time without the pressure to of trying to do too much. It will be fantastic.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 18, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
lottiesmum0
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
We often do non Disney trips to Orlando so perfectly doable, but for a first trip, I don't think I could even contemplate not doing Disney.

You do have so much planned though, the only solution is to go back again in a couple of years and do Disney only
I agree- we usually do either Disney or universal. However if I was going for the first time I would be doing disney. It’s not comparable (in my opinion) to Disneyland Paris
Old 1 Dec 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

If you all like Harry Potter & roller coasters I think you'll have a fab time. With a bit if shopping and maybe a trip to Disney Spring I think you'll have a pretty busy trip and may end up just trying to squeeze Disney in.

For hubby and I we didn't really enjoy Universal even though we are big Harry Potter fans. Hubby doesn't like roller coasters so Busch Gardens would be a waste if time.

Time wise we found WDW & Universal a bit too much to do in 2 weeks and needed a bit of down time. When I was in my 20 we did it all & then some but alas I'm getting old

If you can, I'd say plan a 2nd trip to do WDW & do it well (that is what we're doing next year).

Oh yes & don't forget Kennedy Space Centre - it is awesome!