Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Dec 18, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
toffiness
Very Serious Dibber

toffiness's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Iceland in March

We are visiting Iceland in March, realise it will be freezing! We have been advised to hire a car, has anyone drove there? Is it easy to do in the snow/ice?

Also we are visiting the Blue Lagoon, do they ever do deals anywhere? And are the kids better wearing arm bands or not?

Tia
toffiness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We went in May so I can't personally help with the winter side of things but check out Iceland tripadvisor forums as there is loads of info on there and a big thread on winter driving and how you shouldn't even attempt it if you aren't used to driving in icy conditions.

For Blue Lagoon, I never saw any deals (I signed up to their email but deals were only ever on products not visits) and it usually sells out well in advance so I guess they don't need to discount it. The prices vary throughout the day and we went in the evening when it was a bit cheaper. And kids were free so that halved the price for us!

How old are your kids? I think under 8s have to wear armbands. I'm sure the website FAQs will tell you. My daughter was 8 1/2 and is very tall for her age and she didn't wear them but she was grilled on when her birthday was. It's mostly only about 1m deep but there are some deeper bits.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
toffiness
Very Serious Dibber

toffiness's Reviews
Mobile

Thank you. Kids are 6 and 4 so would prefer them to wear bands if they are allowed anyway! Great will look at TripAdvisor thank you.
toffiness is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
It was the end of March when we visited Iceland and we had no problems with the driving. Whilst we were there there was still some snow on the land, but the roads were clear. We found their roads to be very good, mainly long straight roads with amazing views. Once we ended up using one of the cinder roads (not sure what they are meant to be called) and I just drove VERY carefully, much to the annoyance of the lorry behind me 😂
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 18, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
toffiness
Very Serious Dibber

toffiness's Reviews
Mobile

What side of the road do they even drive on? 😳😂
Old 2 Dec 18, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toffiness View Post
What side of the road do they even drive on? 😳😂
They drive on the right 😀
Jaybeez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Glee Fan
Imagineer

Mobile

We visited last February and it was cold! We didn’t drive as didn’t feel confident in the ice and snow, so just did organised tours. As for the Blue Lagoon, it’s so popular I don’t think they need to have offers. I signed up to their website and tend to get offers on skincare through but not for entry.

We absolutely adored our visit and will definitely go back but be prepared, everything is very pricey and expensive!
Glee Fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
P&S
Imagineer

We went at the end of March this year and for the first 2 days it was absolutely freezing and very windy, there was some snow on the ground but we had blue skies and no snow at all.

We did tours using mini buses and on our 2nd day the whole of the southern area of the island was closed to traffic, not because of snow or ice but the wind! The drivers of our mini buses, all born and bred in Iceland did say the wind can be the biggest problem for drivers.

We loved Iceland and will return but it is very expensive

The beauty of the island is breathtaking in places and the scenery is unlike anywhere I have ever seen.

Enjoy
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:06 PM  
Link to this Post
toffiness
Very Serious Dibber

toffiness's Reviews
Mobile

Thank you! What is expensive? Like food and stuff? Trying to get organised and manage expectations. Also will book everything we can at this end before we go!
Old 5 Dec 18, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ Quinney
Trying for More Ears

Weather can change from one extreme to the other in a mater of minutes but as long as you are prepared with plenty of layers and have waterproofs, hat & gloves with you then it's all good. The majority of touristy areas are all on decent roads and driving is like uk A & B type. We found eating and drinking out quite expensive so just used the supermarkets and bought wisely.

The scenery is so extreme and spectacular it really does make quite an impact. Few things not to miss:-

Gullfoss Waterfall - Huuuuge waterfall
Kerid - Volcanic crater
Strokkur Spouts - Geysir going off every 5 mins or so
Seljalandsfoss Waterfall - The one you can wall behind
Jokulsarlon Glacier / Diamond Beach - See massive icebergs breaking off the glacier and drifting out to sea and being washed up onto the black ash beach
Blue Lagoon - Geothermal spa

Once you've been going back is a must :-)

Edited at 11:58 PM.
AJ Quinney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List