Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 3 Dec 18, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

Universal Rides

Is there a list of which rides are actual roller coasters and which are Simulators?

I dont do roller coasters and going upside down, but can live with a simulator.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
If you download the Universal Orlando App there’s a ride section and it will separate into thrill/3d/simulator/kids rides so you can see what’s what. Most of Universal will be simulators, the only proper coasters they have are The Hulk, and Rip Ride Rocket which I don’t *think* goes upside down but lots of loops...I haven’t done either and I hate coasters lol, but have done all the simulators. Although I’m not sure if the Mummy is an indoor coaster or a simulator as for some reason we haven’t got round to doing that one yet 😂

Edited at 09:17 AM.
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

the only coaster that goes upside down is the hulk, rip ride rocket does a non inverting loop ... the mummy is an indoor coaster in the dark but no inversion

there are only 3 true simulators some are track rides with screens (transformers for example)
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
sheena330
Earning My Ears

The Mummy is an indoor roller coaster/dark ride - doesn’t go upside down but it is fast and has drops. Hulk does go upside down (a few times), technically Rip ride rocket doesn’t, but it might as well
sheena330 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

thanks all, anything with dips/ loops / cork screws are a no no for me.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Dec 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
pad406
VIP Dibber

pad406's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
I had this from our first visit, might give you some idea of the rides

Universal Rides
Despicable Me - Love this ride and with the regular 2+ hr lines, we're obviously not the only ones. A 4D show where the seats move along with the action, giving the illusion of being directly involved. What Shrek could be if they updated it.
Shrek - OK, it's 10 years older than Despicable me, and it shows. The concept is similar, the problem here is the seats. They make so much noise as they move, it's off-putting. Similar to It's a Bugs Life in the AK in Disney.
Rip Ride Rockit - Was disappointed with this. Firstly it was out of operation more than it was running during our stay. But it just doesn't live up to the promise. The lift up to the top and the first loop are brillaint, then it's just yawn after that. Was actually gutted when I got off as I was expecting so much more.
Transformers & Spiderman - I've put these together, as esentially they are the exact same, just played out in different scenarios. Imagine being in a ride vehicle, like Dinosaur in AK but smaller, and being immersed in scenes with fast movement and full 3D effects. Both are excellent.
Revenge of the Mummy - A really good dark, inside roller coaster. Some parts of it may be scary for younger kids.
Men in Black - Similar to Buzz lightyear but darker and the guns work better. Enjoyed it but nothing special.
Simpsons - Loved this. Ride vehicle simialr to Transformers/Spiderman but moves up/down and left/right. You're lifted to an Imax screen and off you go.
Forbidden Journey - The original HP ride and great fun. Not a coaster, but sometimes feels like one, though you never go upside down. Travel through a Quiditch match, meet some Dementors. Loved it but only got to ride it once.
Hogwarts Express - Train ride to and from Hogsmeade/King's Cross Statio. You actually sit in a real steam train carriage, but the scenes are projected onto the windows. Nicely done, but not overly exciting.
Escape from Gringotts - An indoor roller coaster with 3D effects, similar to Transformers and Spiderman. Some drops and speedy sections but no inversions. Really cool and the whole area is fab.
The Incredible Hulk - Best ride in Universal for us. Fast, multiple inversions, corkscrews etc. Seems that you spend more time upside down than right way up. We all just loved it.

Christmas 2018/New Year 2019 (19N) BC - RPR - BC
Christmas 2016/New Year 2017 (18N). SF, LA, Disneyland & SD
Christmas 2014/New Year 2015 (21N). BWI, Hard Rock, Beach Club
April 2012 (21N). New York, Beach Club
Christmas 2010/New Year 2011 (15N). Polynesian & AKL
pad406 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Dec 18, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Mole83 View Post
Is there a list of which rides are actual roller coasters and which are Simulators?

I dont do roller coasters and going upside down, but can live with a simulator.
Not including any explicitly kids' stuff:

UNIVERSAL STUDIOS
Despicable Minion Mayhem: Simulator
Shrek 4D: Show
Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit: Rollercoaster
Transformers: Simulator
Race Through New York: Simulator
Revenge of the Mummy: Rollercoaster
Fast & Furious: Simulator
Harry Potter and Escape from Gringotts: Simulator* [using rollercoaster track but not intense enough to justify being called a rollercoaster]
Men in Black: Dark ride
The Simpsons Ride: Simulator
ET Adventure: Dark ride

ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE
The Incredible Hulk: Rollercoaster
Storm Force Accelatron: Flat ride
Doctor Doom's Fearfall: Drop tower
The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man: Simulator
Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges: Water ride
Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls: Water ride
Skull Island: Reign of Kong: Simulator
Jurassic Park River Adventure: Water ride
Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey: Simulator
Flight of the Hippogriff: Rollercoaster (junior)
Poseidon's Fury: Walk-through

FYI neither of the rollercoasters at the Universal Studios invert (i.e. go upside down) and some simulators can be more intense than others, Forbidden Journey is probably the most intense of them.

Edited at 04:52 PM.
ratmanscoop is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List