Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Dec 18, 12:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Alamo Check-in - Skip the Counter and payment questions

Hi everyone, I've read through the useful sticky guide on Alamo STC but our rental is 41 days - has anyone had any success skipping the counter with rentals more than 30 days (as per the terms) or should I not even bother?
If it's the latter, what's the best way to do it fast, use the kiosks?

Secondly, we've booked direct with Alamo, so we don't pay anything until we get there. I want to pay the actual booking with my zero fee Starling Card, but have a credit card I'd put on for deposit, tolls etc. Is that okay, how does this work if you haven't paid in advance?
TIA
Simon
Old 5 Dec 18, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Simon.

You are correct namely rentals over 30 days don't qualify for skip the counter.

In order for a reservation to be eligible for "Skip the Counter," it must meet these requirements:

• Reservation must be at a rental location that offers “Skip the Counter” Check a location for eligibility.

Reservation must not exceed 30 days.

• Reservation must made at least 24 hours in advance.

• Reservation cannot include certain add-ons that need to be added to vehicle (i.e. mobility devices, etc.).

• Reservation cannot be prepaid or direct billed to a 3rd party (i.e. Voucher, Business Account, etc.).

• Renter must use a major credit card to secure rental (debit cards do not qualify).

• The name on the reservation must match the name on the credit card.

• Additional local deposit requirements may apply.

However, I would still do online check in and get the barcode hopefully and head for the garage. If you can't get the barcode then you will have to use the kiosks or the desk.

I may be wrong but I dont think you can pay for the rental with one card and lodge a second one for tolls etc.

Am I right in saying though that you dont get billed for the car until the return time? If so the Starling card would be the way to go and lodge that one on leaving the garage.
However I'm not sure on a pay later reservation if they will allow you to use that type of Debit card.

Not much help here am I

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 08:23 AM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

they will take a swipe of the CC at the barrier, and that card will be on file for tolls and violations and all things paid for locally (fuel, booster seat, satnav, whatever)

Now you could technically go back to the desk at the end of your rental and pay for the rental with another CC/D C(just allow for a lot of extra time at the airport if you have a plane to catch ... because you'll have to stand in line and wait forever if the rep at the desk needs a manager ...)

BUT, on the CC they'll swipe at time of pickup, they will hold the total value of your rental +20%
(they don't hold anything for prepaid rentals, but they will at least authorise the "estimated charges" line + 20%, so in the case of a py later rental, that's the total amount of the rental)

so, what it means, is that you need to have at least twice the amount of the rental available (on the card used to pick up the car, and on the card you'll use to pay at the end of the rental)

also bear in mind that, even if you can pay at the desk with another card at the end of the rental, there is still the possibility that they double charge you (in case the transaction goes through automatically on card #1 even though you paid on card #2)

and then, there is the risk they don't accept the debit card as a guarantee
they do accept Debit cards for prepaid rentals (with proof or return air ticket ... it's in their policies but they never asked ... ) but I don't know if they will relased a car on a pay later & Debit.

as far as I'm concerned that's too much faff.
I understand the concept of no strings attached, and a rental you don't prepay, but I'd still go the prepay way, when you can cancel for free up to one week prior.

now, I hope someone will be able to help with definitive answers and first hand experience

Edited at 09:48 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
wycombedad
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks guys. To clarify we do pay when we pick it up. I just want that payment to be on my Starling card or it'll cost me a lot in fees.
Who'd have thought booking direct with Alamo would be so complicated... Others must have done this, it's just a booking via Alamo Brits.
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
Thanks guys. To clarify we do pay when we pick it up. I just want that payment to be on my Starling card or it'll cost me a lot in fees.
Who'd have thought booking direct with Alamo would be so complicated... Others must have done this, it's just a booking via Alamo Brits.
I think 99% of us on here pay in advance. I always do, so much easier.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by wycombedad View Post
Thanks guys. To clarify we do pay when we pick it up.
as Mr Tom noted, you don't pay when you pick up

you leave a CC swipe, and the payment will only be processed when you return the car, along with the extras. And that same card is used for guarantee

if you want the rental to be paid for on another card than the one left for guarantee/tolls and so on, you need to go back to the desk when you return the car

the only way to do what you describe is to leave the no fee card, for everything, straight at pick up time
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

If you want to do skip the counter then cover your 41 days with 2 vehicle bookings back to back and sort it out at the gate.