Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Dec 18, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
The Direct contracts from Disney have the same contract length as "normal" Resale, so in the case of Saratoga you are paying $40 more per point to get some savings on shopping & dining & $100 odd dollars of an AP, which is only of use if you can get at least 2 holidays out of it.
Our guide was very keen to use the "points value" technique & including the current incentives in his calculations but to put it into perspective, using the incentive on a 125 point CC contract is £17.5k versus £18.1k & on the big scheme of things I think £600 is neither here nor there
SD
That makes no sense to me, especially as these people already own direct DVC so get the benefits anyway. If I were them I would be buying resale
Old 11 Dec 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Well lets hope he's right

I was looking at the historic data of the cost of DVC back in the day, if only the points were that cheap now, at and $2-£1 too. Crazy money! We are looking at paying $163 pp at CC down from $182 and that's with the incentives. I just don't know if we will go for it as the £ has lost so much value it just doesn't seem like a sensible decision. But then again, it could be years until be see an improvement so then how long do you wait? It's a tough one!

Although the dues are increasing, surely they won't increase at the same rate as the hotel rooms? They are just sill money now.

Where is your home resort? I'm sure you said but I can't remember, although I want to say SSR?
Shooby sums it up nicely.

I'd add it's important to remember DIRECT OR RESALE YOU BUY EXACTLY THE SAME THING. EXACTLY.

The perks you don't buy, you have no contractual right to, are not supplied by the club that is DVC and are supplied by DVD (the developer) and partners as discretionary 'gifts' to market more direct timeshare.

Ken Potrock, previous head of DVC was quite open at last year's condo meeting that Moonlight Magic was supplied as a marketing exercise. I'd been making this obvious point for some time, but some people (not in here) wouldn't believe me. Epcot Lounge is the same. These are not been paid for by DVC members and Disney don't give anything away for free unless there's something in it for them (no criticism, they are a public company ).

Yes my home resort is SSR, but I bought with a very specific plan after a long period of research. I bought to stay in different resorts each time. We also like space. So I bought double the points for a 1 bed, which has worked out brilliantly but I bought the bulk at a lot less than they are now.

I wouldn't be too sure about dues not increasing at the same rate as hotel rooms going forward. They'll price hotel rooms at what the market will take. Dues have no market forces applied.

Search out my post on the compound affect of dues.

The US stock market as well as European and UK has done very poorly recently . This is after years' of rapid growth.

More 'average joe' Americans invest in stocks than people in the UK I believe, where most of ours is in pensions and invisible. Thus many middle class Americans have seen a visible hit to their wealth this past few months. Moreso those who can afford to pay for Deluxe hotels, these are generally well off people. This is what the DVC value equation competes against.

I looked yesterday and since October my own pension pot has gone down 30k.

Edited at 12:17 PM.
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Dec 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It's a bit of minefield, our own situation is that I'm in the fortunate position to be able to retire, next year, at the ripe old age of 52.We currently have enough points to go for 3 weeks every 2 years but would like this to be 3 weeks every year, so an approx. 100 point add on. Current Resale market for SSR, around the £10-£11k mark, so not including dues, holiday no.7/8 to recoup but that's also committing to flights,passes & spending money every year also! I just can't persuade myself that it makes financial sense!
Decisions,decisions…..
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List