Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Dec 18, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Not a cyclist but we were on a motorway in Cyprus last week, we hit a major storm, it would have done Florida proud, even the locals were pulling onto the hard shoulder. You really couldn't see more than a few feet and a car sailed past at great speed and no lights. It must have been reported as further a long it had been pulled over by the police. Yes, people are stupid.
Old 10 Dec 18, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
More than stupid , totally reckless
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
As I live in a University City there are cyclists everywhere, plus numerous Boris Bikes.

On the whole most are ok and show respect and are well illuminated. As usual it's a minority who give all cyclists a bad name.

I have very strong feelings though that all cyclists should have Insurance. They scrape down the sides of cars, cost the NHS money and in the case of Charlie Alliston kill somebody.

They have a right to ride but who picks up the compensation claims?

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 09:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

Mobile

Happens all the time where I live. Dark clothes no lights and most are cycling on the pavement cos it’s safer (who for). That’s what gets me is they have no respect for anyone else. I’m sure this must be a minority but where I live it seems to be every cyclist well apart from the Sunday cycle club.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYALI
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Mobile

Sadly many years ago a work colleague was killed on her way home in exactly the same circumstances all dressed in black no lights on in the dark was hit by an articulated lorry. And in the local paper this week a few miles up the road a male cyclist again all in black no lights on hit and killed by an elderly driver who says he's so traumatised he will never drive again.
Our local cycle shop has on more than one occasion run huge promotions coming up to the darker nights offering deals on lighting reflective clothing and cycle helmets but the message doesn't seem to get through to some sadly
DISNEYALI is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We get a lot of pavement cyclists where I live. I also see lots of cycists with no lights etc. I know there are responsible cyclists but a large proportion are not.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

It's not just cyclists but pedestrians too. I almost hit someone dressed all in black walking on an unlit road and in the road. This was on a bend so hidden.
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
As I live in a University City there are cyclists everywhere, plus numerous Boris Bikes.

On the whole most are ok and show respect and are well illuminated. As usual it's a minority who give all cyclists a bad name.

I have very strong feelings though that all cyclists should have Insurance. They scrape down the sides of cars, cost the NHS money and in the case of Charlie Alliston kill somebody.

They have a right to ride but who picks up the compensation claims?
Agreed Tom! Cyclists may have cover under any household policies they hold which would cover them for public liability. However, it is not mandatory nor do they have a duty to disclose such cover. With the increase in cyclists on the roads it is probably tonenthat tjos was adddressed but I can’t see it happening!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes.
Happens all the time here too. 4 on my 10 minute drive to work at 6 this morning and that’s a lower amount than usual.
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 18, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Puddle5
Apprentice Imagineer

Puddle5's Reviews
Yes! A large majority of the population! But feel must stick up for cyclists a bit as DH cycles to work most days. He has two lights front and rear, reflective clothing, etc but for some car drivers he may as well be invisible. He is at the age where he is a responsible cyclist, not on footpaths etc but I do worry as each week he seems to come home with a new story about some idiot in a car/lorry/van. The worst part of his whole journey however is near his works where he has to get off his bike to cross a busy A road at pedestrian traffic lights. The number of people who drive through these lights on red is ridiculous. Cameras really need to be installed.

So yes anyone riding a bike in the dark without lights and reflective clothing is definitely an idiot but there are idiots in all walks of life.
Puddle5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List