Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 13 Dec 18, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
wozza
Apprentice Imagineer

Christmas shop well for less - TV tonight...dibbers

I do enjoy this show but especially tonight as the couple were trying to cut back in order to take the kids to Florida. Fantastic family who foster, so much admiration for them.

Two sons with various health needs and clear to see how much they adored being in Florida.

I just hope they Dibb so they can also get the best out of their trip!
wozza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I wondered if they were dibbers too. Lovely family but almost £600 for a child’s polo shirt ( did I actually hear that right? ) £100 for a box of Christmas crackers ! They spent more on one Christmas than I spent taking 4 of us to Orlando for 3 weeks !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I wondered if they were dibbers too. Lovely family but almost £600 for a child’s polo shirt ( did I actually hear that right? ) £100 for a box of Christmas crackers ! They spent more on one Christmas than I spent taking 4 of us to Orlando for 3 weeks !
it was 2 x $355 (one for older each boy)

Their house was beautiful though!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
it was 2 x $355 (one for older each boy)

Their house was beautiful though!
Ah only £355-bargain !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Juliemack
waiting impatiently...!

Juliemack's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
I enjoyed this episode, we kept spotting baubles that we had on our tree too got a bit choked up a few times with their obvious love and dedication to their boys.
Juliemack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

£355 for a polo shirt? Wow!
OH might buy himself stuff sometimes that I think is a total waste of money but at least he’s an adult who won’t grow out of whatever he buys!

Presumably it was pretty easy for this family to make cutbacks then?
It’s more interesting I think when it’s your average Joe who can’t make huge savings but will still manage to be a bit more thrifty.

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I did find this episode a bit silly.

They'd already bought all their Christmas decorations and presents, so suggesting cheaper alternatives now wasn't going to help. Maybe it might help sometime in the future when they come to buy some new decorations to replace these but not for the next few years?! It's not like that other programme with Greg Wallace and the other bloke - Eat Well for Less? - where they look at changes to their weekly shop.

Anyway, the people on the programme were clearly in a different "class" of folk than myself. They were lovely people but the cost of the things they bought was waaay above anything I would consider buying ($355 for a kids polo shirt! £3500 on baubles). If they could spend that much on Christmas then they should have no problem affording a holiday to Disney. Just halving the number of those wreaths they had around the house would pay for one of our trips.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I did find this episode a bit silly.

They'd already bought all their Christmas decorations and presents, so suggesting cheaper alternatives now wasn't going to help. Maybe it might help sometime in the future when they come to buy some new decorations to replace these but not for the next few years?! It's not like that other programme with Greg Wallace and the other bloke - Eat Well for Less? - where they look at changes to their weekly shop.

Anyway, the people on the programme were clearly in a different "class" of folk than myself. They were lovely people but the cost of the things they bought was waaay above anything I would consider buying ($355 for a kids polo shirt! £3500 on baubles). If they could spend that much on Christmas then they should have no problem affording a holiday to Disney. Just halving the number of those wreaths they had around the house would pay for one of our trips.
I also found it confusing, that they already had paid out on those lovely tree decs, so why suggest they get cheaper ones, they hadn't suggested they sell their own decs on ebay. Can understand about telling them to go cheaper with the boys shirts and their own presents, toothbrush etc. Thought it was funny about the hand wash and cream.

But one thing that did come over was the dedication to the boys and the love that is in their family, brought a tear to my eye.

Lesley and Melvin
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:40 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

What a lovely caring couple. To take on those boys with such complex needs was amazing of them.
I agree and said the same last night that I never get why they say they could save money by swapping things they've already bought!
Also why would they want to swap their lovely warm dressing gowns for those horrible thin things! They could at least found cheap fluffy ones! Mind you didn't they say they had paid £800 for those?! That is madness!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Melvin Pearce View Post
But one thing that did come over was the dedication to the boys and the love that is in their family, brought a tear to my eye.
Oh, yes. I certainly agree about that.

I do think these sort of programmes almost feel like glorified adverts. And this episode felt like it was more aimed at people watching the show, not at the people appearing on the show.

Also, I can't believe that they think the amount they spend on Christmas decorations and the like is 'normal' or average. Surely they realise there are (significantly!) cheaper alternatives and don't need two women off the telly to tell them that?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List