Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 18, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Newspaper Article - Permission

I have been notified this morning that there is an article in my local newspaper this morning about me and it seems it has been submitted by my ex-employer.

I worked for a charity for 3 years and left over 2 months ago, but today they have put my photo and an article in about me leaving the organisation, can they do this without my permission?

I have no idea why they have done this, as the relationship soured quite quickly after I left as they haven't been honest or fair and I have been seeking advice from ACAS!
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Is the article factual? Although it you may not be pleased about it, if it’s factual I can’t see that they have done anything wrong. Interesting to see why they did it though. Had there been a dispute and is this their way of letting clients/associates know you are no longer there?
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Think you need to wait and see what the article says and if the organisation is quoted as having some sort of go at you for leaving or the reason you left.

It might be harmless and is a thank you for the 3 years of work.

Best wait and see what it says before doing anything about it. If you are unhappy with the article contact the newspaper who may be happy to give you space to put over your point of view.
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
It's the photo I'd be worried about more than the write up (if it's factual and just says thanks for your time with them).

I wouldn't ever want my photo in the paper personally, no matter what I'd done or not done. We did a local article recently for the charity I volunteered for but I can't remember for the life of me what they said about the photo I sent in of another volunteer.

I think it was along the lines of they ask the person submitting the photo if they had permission to use the photo. That in turn gave the paper permission to use it.

I do remember having to stop them printing the street name of the volunteer though and had to fight them quite strenuously about it.

Edited at 12:30 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Schedule 2 Part 5 of the Data Protection Act does allow for the publication of your personal data by journalists if it is in the public interest.

I would ask the paper what they think the public interest is for publishing a story about you leaving, especially if not under a cloud etc. I can't think their case if very strong

Speak to the ICO as well

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post

I do not think newspapers get permission of everybody they write articles about or post pictures of. So long as it factual they are ok.

It does sound a bit disturbing though. I would not be happy. Who notified you?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
The journalistic (as a special case) exemption under GDPR /DPA 2018 does allow for publication without consent as long as the Public Interest can be demonstrated in line with a couple of codes of practice (3 or 4 from memory) which are listed in the act.

The escape of a violent prisoner - yes in the public interest
The embezzlement of thousands by someone posing as a charity worker - yes in the public interest
Someone leave charity after 3 years - unless to celebrate really good work (then why not contact you and as you?) - is that in the Public Interest? I am not sure and I work in Data Protection every day

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews

This is the article here... bizarre to wait so long after I’ve left but it does wish me well.

They never showed appreciation whilst I was still there though and the worst of it is it states I handed in my notice but misses out the fact I was told by the management there was no more funding for my role so I decided to leave to focus on my business then within a week the managers friend was in my job!

Edited at 12:51 PM.
2littleboys is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
I think it’s a really nice article, you should be pleased!
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

No help on the op’s original question, but as a Scots ex pat I loved the phrase ‘well kent’ !

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List