Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Dec 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

My poor old dog - how do you make 'that' decision

I really think the time may be approaching for our old lady, she's an 11 1/2 year old St Bernard, which is a VERY good age for the breed, but I think she's starting to suffer.

She's had arthritis for a while now and been on anti inflammatories, a few months ago she developed a tumour on her back ankle, they won't operate on it as a) she's not likely to survive the anaesthetic and b) they feel there's a high chance they'll break the tumour down and send it into her system. It doesn't seem to bother her, mostly she's pretty content.

Tuesday night though she fell down the stairs, she seemed fine afterwards, just shaken up, but mostly ok, seemed fine Wednesday morning, eating and going out fine. When we got back Wednesday night though she was in distress and couldn't stand up. My son and I made a hoist out of a blanket and got her on her feet, once up she tottered outside to do her business.

I spoke to the vet and we upped her anti-inflammatories and significantly upped her pain killers but I just feel like I'm watching her deteriorate, twice today I've had to lift her onto her back feet as she's not been able to get up, she had a little wander with me to the immediate neighbours' houses to delivery Christmas cards and was very up for it.

I can't bear to see her distressed, but it's such a tough call to make, I keep hoping she's just sore from the fall and will improve, but do wonder if I'm kidding myself.

How on earth do you make this decision!

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

It’s one of those things that only you know when she’s had enough. Our old girl was put to sleep several years ago but I remember she didn’t want to go anywhere, she didn’t want to eat (not even her favourite things) and she slept constantly - she wasn’t getting any enjoyment from life anymore and the decision was obvious (but still rubbish).

A tumble like you’ve described would take a bit of recovering from in any elderly dog (or person!) and if she’s eating and generally content, I would be inclined to see if she improves in the next few days. But you know her best.
Old 14 Dec 18, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just wanted to let you know we are thinking of you. We had the same thoughts about our Labrador who we lost in September 2017. She had arthritis and was very stiff and had a limp towards the end. We did ask ourselves how were we going to know it was the right time? In the end she suddenly was unwell with vomiting and diarrhoea and we knew that it was the right decision. We still think of her and miss her everyday. Sending you love xx
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have been in your shoes twice now. All I can say is that you will know when the time is right.

Much love to you, this is the sad side of owning a pet x

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I agree it needs to be your decision but talk to the vet again. Vets will always give you options but ask them what they would do for the best interests of the dog.

Its hard I took my mum and her 17yr old Shih Tzu this week, mum couldn't see her dog like I could but she rang me to say she had gone down hill. It had to be her decision to take her but she did need my support with it all.
Old 14 Dec 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
It's the hardest decision you have to make, and also the kindest decision too. Your old girl has given you a lifetime of love and companionship without a single thought about herself and the time is fast approaching where you have to do the same. You almost have to step outside of yourself and view her almost dispassionately (tough I know. Oh do I know) and come to the realisation that one moments suffering is one too much. Be guided by your vet, but don't be afraid to question their opinion. You know your dog better than they ever could.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I feel for you so much. There’s a ‘Quality of Life Scale’ questionnaire which might help you come to a decision. If you google the term you’ll find it on a few different websites.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kc1
Imagineer

Mobile

She’s had a nasty fall bless her I would def give her some time to recover from that and go from there! X
kc1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

It’s one of the hardest decisions you can make, but also one of the kindest. I feel Once their ‘sparkle’ goes it is time. And ideally before they lose control of their bladder and bowels as most dogs get incredibly distressed by messing in their own home and it’s a sad decline.
Much love as our pup is only two and I am already dreading this!
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 18, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kc1 View Post
She’s had a nasty fall bless her I would def give her some time to recover from that and go from there! X
Her falling down the stairs has been the result of her recent decline, I'm just as concerned about the fact that she fell as I am about the effects from it.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List