Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Dec 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
debenhams gone into liquidation

I know some members work for them my thoughts are with you and all those that will lose there jobs all so top shop ect
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Another sad day for Retail.

One wonders who will be next sadly.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

So sad. With over 12,000 people employed by Debenhams and with the Acradia group also going into administration, thats over 25,000 people who will be out of work.

Merry Christmas, eh...
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
I know some members work for them my thoughts are with you and all those that will lose there jobs all so top shop ect
This is devistating for many, none of these shops are ones I have been to for many, many years so honestly I cant say i will miss them personally but it is awful news for the high street.

Sadly from what I read this is down to poor senior management not adapting with the times though I could be wrong.

Another awful part is the possible big hole in the pension fund. Businesses should never be allowed to dip into other peoples money, this does not belong to the buisness it belongs to the current and future pensioners. There should be laws against this and the fat cats should go to prison and have their assets stripped to fill the gap.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Very sad for those staff affected. On the occasion I went to my Local Debenhams in Uxbridge it was a big store and usually had more staff than customers and I even commented to my wife that it must be running at a loss.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Loobylou_82
Imagineer

Gutted. Love Debenhams. Where is it all going to end ? So sorry for the staff, it's all a mess.
Loobylou_82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Loosing your job is bad enough but at Christmas it adds another dimension of miserableness

As for Debenhams and the Arcadia group they have been in serious trouble for years now as others have said. To be honest they needed to move forward online sooner and were not seen as relevant by younger shoppers.
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Another sad day for Retail.

One wonders who will be next sadly.
JL, M&S (non food) and Next are the ones I wouldn’t be surprised go. JL are even closing (for good) part of their flagship store on Oxford Street and converting some floors into office space to rent (yeah who will want to rent office space right now in Oxford Street ? But a friend of mine is working on the project so I wish him well)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loobylou_82 View Post
Gutted. Love Debenhams. Where is it all going to end ? So sorry for the staff, it's all a mess.
I used to love their Springle restaurant - but I guess last time I went into one was in the late 1980’s
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Dec 20, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Sue
Imagineer

Sue's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 17
This is tragic for all their employees but we cannot say that it hasn’t been telegraphed for some time. I seem to remember several news stories about it being in trouble and long before this virus.
I have never really shopped there as it always seemed a bit “staid” and outdated.
Let’s face it, the days of the department store - apart from one or two icons - Harrods and Selfridges perhaps, are over.

”Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts” - Richard Feynman. Theoretical Physicist

7th Magical Trip - August /September 2008. FOOD & TRIP REPORTS

Route 66 and all that TRIP REPORTS
Sue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List