Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Jan 21, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

If the food thing is an issue - will draw up places around there we had meals at in the area.

I think I overstated how much Japanese food we ate up above, while it was a good lot we are fans of a gourmet burger and fries and had a few of them.

One food thing in Japan, food portions are usually smaller than in UK / US - and never did I finish a meal and not feel it had filled me enough
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Food wont be an issue. There are lots of small places to eat and just about everywhere have plastic mock ups of food outside. Menus have pictures to point to. However, you will struggle if you have allergies, whilst japan is not totally alien to the idea of allergies it is hard to get the chefs tk substitute or change dishes (for example 'without cheese'.this is dependent on the establishment (OH hates cheese but isnt allergic, im not keen on eggs).

We ate well and ate at street vendors, food halls, small cafes, back street cafes, restaurants and take aways. We disnt eat raw fish once, there is almoat always a vegetarian option but it will be tofu heavy. There are always macdonalds options or ready meals in convenience stores (a great source of picnic foods).

As for japanese, learn some! This seems a bit odd to say but i learnt enough tourist japanese to ask for items, ask for tickets, directions etc i used lingodeer for about 8 months with roughly 10 mins a day. Im lacking on nouns which i looked up when necessary. I cannot read japanese at all and didnt need to. At no point were we completely stuck, be polite, bow, appologise for being foreign and people will take their time and be patient. This is by far the reason we love japan.

Unfortunately i believe the mario kart street gokart has been ≈≈≈≈ down by Nintendo. A pity, it looked really good fun.

Edit forgive spellings. Typing on small screen in moving car

Edited at 12:42 PM.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List