Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 3 Jan 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Tips for tradesmen? Never heard of that!
Or tradeswomen... phew.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I think my Hubble really needs to be doing work in DIBB houses.

He does get tips but it really is only occasionally. He has a lot of regular customers and quite often brings home fresh veg from a garden, home made cakes but £200

I think before deciding £2000 is cheap for a house it depends on what work has been done and how long it has taken to do and if it included the materials. If it has only been painted cost will be at the lower end. If it has been decorated with £200 a roll wallpaper you would expect it to be more expensive. Hubbie does everything for the customer, takes pattern books and colour charts to the house, advises on materials, collects and pays for materials from the trade centre and bills at the end. You would normally be looking at an average of £175 for an 8 hour day dependent on what he is doing.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

No tip, just pay them on time. (Amazing how often payments are delayed to self employed trades people) 😳
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow, never heard of tipping a tradesman. Some charge more than others due to the quality of their work/experience etc so why would you then tip them?
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
I think my Hubble really needs to be doing work in DIBB houses.

He does get tips but it really is only occasionally. He has a lot of regular customers and quite often brings home fresh veg from a garden, home made cakes but £200

I think before deciding £2000 is cheap for a house it depends on what work has been done and how long it has taken to do and if it included the materials. If it has only been painted cost will be at the lower end. If it has been decorated with £200 a roll wallpaper you would expect it to be more expensive. Hubbie does everything for the customer, takes pattern books and colour charts to the house, advises on materials, collects and pays for materials from the trade centre and bills at the end. You would normally be looking at an average of £175 for an 8 hour day dependent on what he is doing.
My brother in law has been a self employed decorator for about 40 years and works mainly around Notting Hill, Kensington, Earls Court (properties usually worth into the millions) and he rarely gets cash tips from his wealthy customers, but does sometimes get gifts (wine, brandy, chocolates etc).

He doesn't advertise or have a website and he's happy that he's had the same customers for many years who also recommends him. I bet he would also love to work for dibbers and get £100-£200 tips
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Island mamma
slightly serious Dibber

We're nearing the end of renovating a cottage. Doing decorating ourselves but used companies for joiners and plumbers. Companies got paid promptly, DH tried to tip the actual tradesmen but all the time served guys told him to only tip the apprentices. So he gave a tip each to the apprentices and a case of beer each to the time served. Sparky is a friend of ours doing a favour. We know he won't accept a tip on top of payment but he has 5 kids so we will do something for his kids in lieu of a tip for him
Island mamma is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
maidmarian
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by MarkUK View Post
Wow, never heard of tipping a tradesman. Some charge more than others due to the quality of their work/experience etc so why would you then tip them?
I think it's bizarre
maidmarian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

IMO tips are for people who are on low wages working for the business I'm using, I wouldn't tip a business owner, they've allowed for their profit when pricing the job.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by salmim View Post
Tips for tradesmen? Never heard of that!
Neither have I. If people tip say a decorator would they also tip a car valet or mechanic? I know some tip their hairdresser but I as a student nurse worked in male urology and as the only male on the ward got the task twice a week of having to prepare all the patients for their ops which involved a very close shave. None of them ever tipped me!
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

I wouldn’t. He quoted, did the job you asked him to do and you pay him for that job at a price you previously agreed on.

Why are we surprised when people take pride in their work and do a good job? Isn’t it what should be expected.

Edited at 11:15 AM.
ely3857 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List