Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Jan 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
I guess it varies around the country; we've been advised a few times by different charity shops (when they were open) that they weren't accepting any donations.

When DH showed them a few samples of what we were offering (eg, barely worn high-end shoes (that hurt him!) in the original box, they relented and said they'd take those and any other similar items we had!
Th ones near me are all closed and haven’t taken donations since last summer. When I moved I had to skip loads - some suits I had brought and only worn once (and were designer) and unworn shoes all went into a skip. No other option - my shed is full of stuff for charity but will get skipped next month when I have another skip arriving for old stuff. Boxes and boxes of old CDs, some signed by the artists - no one wants so will get skipped . Its so sad but COVID has closed down the charity avenue here
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
Th ones near me are all closed and haven’t taken donations since last summer. When I moved I had to skip loads - some suits I had brought and only worn once (and were designer) and unworn shoes all went into a skip. No other option - my shed is full of stuff for charity but will get skipped next month when I have another skip arriving for old stuff. Boxes and boxes of old CDs, some signed by the artists - no one wants so will get skipped . Its so sad but COVID has closed down the charity avenue here
True; we gave quite a few bags to charity shops in the Summer once they opened; now all closed again so a few more bags in our box room awaiting their re-opening.

Everything good gets bagged for charity; everything that looks worn or tired gets put in the clothes recycling bins (usually Salvation Army) in the car parks of the likes of Sainsburys, Tesco etc.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mad cat woman
I want to go now!

My husband still has and wears the shoes he wore on our wedding day 36 years ago.
mad cat woman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
I've still got clothes from Marks & Spencer that has the St Michael labels on them! I can't part with them as I would love to fit into them again one day.
Old 13 Jan 21, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bessie
Apprentice Imagineer

we had new fitted wardrobes in our bedroom last year & I was ruthless & got rid of most of my clothes & some of my partner's... there was some old stuff amonst it all, sports tops from our visits to Florida in the late 90's The idea was to replace some of the clothing, but lockdown & the closure of non-essential shops happened & with the on-going pandemic I haven't bought anything new for quite some time.
Star Island & Westgate Lakes 2 wks Sept 98, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 99, Blue Tree Resort 3 wks Sept 00, Blue Tree Resort & AMI 3 wks Sept 01, DLP Aug 02, Venetian Bay Villages 2 wks Aug 08, Bella Piazza 2 wks Aug 11 Windsor Hills 3 wks Aug 12, Windsor Hills 2 wks Oct 15 Paradise Palms 2 wks June 2017
Bessie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 21, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scooby99 View Post
True; we gave quite a few bags to charity shops in the Summer once they opened; now all closed again so a few more bags in our box room awaiting their re-opening.

Everything good gets bagged for charity; everything that looks worn or tired gets put in the clothes recycling bins (usually Salvation Army) in the car parks of the likes of Sainsburys, Tesco etc.
We tried to send some of ds's things to charity shops in the summer but gave up in the end as they had all brought in so many additional restrictions due to the virus - you had to call to see if they had space to store the items and in the end gave up and it is back in the loft. However, we need to clear the loft and fear it is going to end up at the local recycling centre.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mqt
Apprentice Imagineer

I’ve got 3 bin bags of warm clothes ready to take to our local homeless charity who are desperate for them. Anyone who wants to get rid of anything could ask locally if there’s any similar needed.
Mqt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 08:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Last lockdown, I noticed they British Heart Foundation were taking donations by post, even when the shops were closed. This meant that they could keep collecting.
It was via collectplus
bhf.uk/shop/donating...your-donations
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Guys if everyone would at least recycle it would be a great help. Recent figures showed 90 % of micro waste in the Arctic is of plastics from polyester type clothing. These are in turn eaten by sea life and low and behold eaten by us. Polyester products from petrochemicals are among the most damaging environmentally.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Guys if everyone would at least recycle it would be a great help. Recent figures showed 90 % of micro waste in the Arctic is of plastics from polyester type clothing. These are in turn eaten by sea life and low and behold eaten by us. Polyester products from petrochemicals are among the most damaging environmentally.
Not if you’re not eating the stomach, guts and intestines you’re not. Anything at the top of the food chain is just going to poop it out. However, please recycle. Good for the environment and helps keep others in clothing that it can otherwise be difficult to afford.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List