Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 17 Jan 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
From Facebook:

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
After using the Virgin bag drop once and realising that for me it was a waste of time as I’m not a DS shopper whilst I’m excited about the Brightline service in general , the MCO DS leg won’t really change how we do things (Lyft) although flying into MCO and hopping on the train to Vero sounds like a great option.
We used it a couple of times and then preferred Uber . I think for the home market it could be a more attractive option of returning to the airport and are planning a Disney only trip . Depending on cost to the consumer .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Apparently, the train line from Orlando to Tampa, which passes through and stops at Disney Springs, won’t open until 2025.

Mears has apparently said that they are looking into continuing to provide bus transportation between MCO and the Disney hotels. This will be a paid service though.
Mears have always provided transportation to the hotels where you pay?

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
AliceCooper9
Apprentice Imagineer

magical express petition

there always a petition

change/p/walt-disney...redirect=false
AliceCooper9 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Mears have always provided transportation to the hotels where you pay?
Have they provided paid shared coach transportation to the Disney hotels in the past? Are you sure?

Why, when they provide free transportation to the Disney hotels? (Mears is contracted to run the Magical Express buses on Disney's behalf)

Why would anyone choose to pay to get a shared coach transfer to their Disney hotel when there exists a frequent dedicated service that does the same thing for free?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Yes they have. In 2010 we booked with Virgin Holidays and our booking included coach transfers. They were provided by Mears. They stopped at several Disney resorts before ours. They were a plain coach with no Disney branding but otherwise identical.

For the return journey they picked us up at DTD (as it was then). They didn’t send a big enough minibus so we had to wait till they sent a coach. It was awful (not least because we had to use a taxi to get to DTD with luggage). Service was not good.

We didn’t know we could have cancelled the coach transfer, got a refund and used ME for free.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Have they provided paid shared coach transportation to the Disney hotels in the past? Are you sure?

Why, when they provide free transportation to the Disney hotels? (Mears is contracted to run the Magical Express buses on Disney's behalf)

Why would anyone choose to pay to get a shared coach transfer to their Disney hotel when there exists a frequent dedicated service that does the same thing for free?
Because they are unaware of it I guess? I had no idea it was free for all tbh and assumed it was only if you booked direct with Disney as opposed to booking the hotel via Expedia for example.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 04:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Yes they have. In 2010 we booked with Virgin Holidays and our booking included coach transfers. They were provided by Mears. They stopped at several Disney resorts before ours. They were a plain coach with no Disney branding but otherwise identical.

For the return journey they picked us up at DTD (as it was then). They didn’t send a big enough minibus so we had to wait till they sent a coach. It was awful (not least because we had to use a taxi to get to DTD with luggage). Service was not good.

We didn’t know we could have cancelled the coach transfer, got a refund and used ME for free.
Ah ok. Thanks. I guess if people were unaware that the free ME service existed then they'd pay for a shared transfer to the Disney hotels.

(BTW, just for info, some of the ME buses were plain without any Disney branding. We went on one once)

Anyway, as Mears are paid by Disney to provide the ME transport, this will be a loss to them. Hence, why I think they are considering providing an equivalent service, but this would be a paid service (of course!).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:31 PM.
Old 18 Jan 21, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

why do people think there will be a replacement rail service in 2021.
I know something was mentioned in various news outlets but no definitive dates.
if you take into account the logistics of getting a new rail network setup, just acquiring the land to lay track on will take years.
look how long it has taken to do the sunrail project in Orlando and it is still nowhere near finished.
I am guessing that a project of this size will be 5 year+ if all goes well
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by grommitt View Post
why do people think there will be a replacement rail service in 2021.
I know something was mentioned in various news outlets but no definitive dates.
if you take into account the logistics of getting a new rail network setup, just acquiring the land to lay track on will take years.
look how long it has taken to do the sunrail project in Orlando and it is still nowhere near finished.
I am guessing that a project of this size will be 5 year+ if all goes well
It's already been mentioned that it's estimated the Orlando to Tampa line (which will pass through, and stop at, Disney Springs) will open in 2025.

I think some people had read that the West Palm Beach to Orlando extension was due to open in 2022 and incorrectly assumed this applied to the trainline from MCO to Disney Springs. Or something?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~