Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 Sep 19, 03:00 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Forget Brexit, Fireman Sam is not wanted!

Lovely story on the BBC.

Lincolnshire Fire Brigade have a problem recruiting female members and feel it is because Fireman Sam is not a diverse enough mascot.

They say that there is research that states children form ideas of their chosen career at four or five and having Sam as their mascot is discouraging girls from dreaming of being a firefighter.

Surely you must read this article and think, they need to get a grip.

My three loved Fireman Sam, they all had firefighter costumes and all had visits to the fire station. All loved it when the fire engine was brought to nursery and school for visits.

My girls preferred Sam because they both wanted to drive Jupiter. My son, Penny because she drove the rescue boat. And all loved Naughty Norman Price.

So, the important question of the day, is Fireman Sam still relevant?(the answer should be yes)
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
2littleboys
Imagineer

2littleboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Saw this on the Breakfast news this morning and couldn’t believe what I was seeing!

The world has gone mad! I despair for the world I’m bringing my children up in!
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I agree, saw this earlier... completely ridiculous... i'm guessing the new mascot will have no gender, just to be fully inclusive!

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

From the BBC website :

Chief fire officer Les Britzman said Fireman Sam would be replaced with fire extinguisher-shaped mascots called Freddy, Filbert and Penelope.

! ?!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:12 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Can you imagine how many children's ambition will be fire extinguisher?
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KevinCosmos
Getting Excited

I fully support inclusivity and agree that it should've been renamed "Firefighter Sam", but this is just taking political correctness to a whole new level IMO.
KevinCosmos is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Utterly bonkers! I am all for the term Firefighter but surely parents/guardians have a role in teaching children that all genders or non gender persons can have any career they choose.

When I was little I loved button moon but never did I think... oh I can't go to the moon becouse I am not a spoon.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Utterly bonkers! I am all for the term Firefighter but surely parents/guardians have a role in teaching children that all genders or non gender persons can have any career they choose.

When I was little I loved button moon but never did I think... oh I can't go to the moon becouse I am not a spoon.
That made me laugh!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

loved button moon... we're off to button moon..

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 19, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
That made me laugh!
DH said the other night I would make a fab MP 😉
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List