Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Sep 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

Avis : Suv Groups ?

I have booked a group W which is listed as a Standard SUV.

How does this compare to say other SUV groups.

I keep getting a GMC arcadia so was hoping for something different this time.

Is this still suitable for 2 adults and 2 Teenagers and possibly 2 large cases and hand luggage.

I thik i have booked a smaller size to the GMC Arcadia

Thanks
Old 9 Sep 20, 11:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

I think group W is often advertised as "Ford Edge or similar". Ford edges are in the UK.
Hynudai Santa Fe would probably be a similar size and is the advertised model for Alamo standard suv's. I have found Alex Autos youtube car videos quite good in the past. Gives alot of comparison data about the similar class vehicles.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Sep 20, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dolphin9511
Very Serious Dibber

I just booked a group W with Avis through BA and the guys at BA said it was the same sort of size as a BMW X5
Dolphin9511 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 09:46 PM  
Link to this Post
ghints
Trainee Dibber

Their definitions are really confusing but I think that we have figured out there are 4 types of SUV:

1. Group L (Premium SUV) is the big stuff - Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon XL or Ford Expedition

2. Next group down is the Group S or Group Z "Full Size SUV" - Chevy Tahoe, smaller Yukons and (I think) the Ford Explorer

3. Then its the Group W "Standard SUV" - which they list as Ford Edge

4. The smallest is the Group F "Intermediate SUV" - Ford Escape

Just be careful... I have had them try to convince me that some of the smaller SUVs were in the larger classes (it seems to depend what they have on the lot at the time... )

WDW - 1980's x4, Indian Ridge 91, 99, Sarasota/Sanibel 95
Chatham Park 01, Tuscan Ridge 07, 09, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 22, 23

DLP - New York 97, 11, Newport Bay 06, 08(x2), Sequoia Lodge 09, 17, 18, 19, 22

California - 03
ghints is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Sep 20, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

Originally Posted by ghints View Post
2. Next group down is the Group S or Group Z "Full Size SUV" - Chevy Tahoe, smaller Yukons and (I think) the Ford Explorer
Group S is the standard 7 seater SUV (Explorer)
Group Z is the full size 7 seater SUV (Tahoe / Expedtion)

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
antietam
Imagineer

I think its fair to say that if you are collecting a group S suv from Avis then it should have 3 rows of seats , if not its a grade down and you should go and complain that you want the correct size that you paid for.

I know it does not work this way but you should get what you pay for and they should make sure of that rather than assuming that you wont care and just take whatever they have.

I have stood there and demanded the correct size vehicle until they have gone and got one, They were really ≈≈≈≈≈≈ off but i stood my ground and eventually got what i paid for.
I was not interested in " you can come back tomorrow and swap it" Why would i want to do that, They know you are coming and at what time, there should be no excuses for trying to palm you off with a lower group car.

To be fair Avis have been really good the last few times i have been

Edited at 11:15 AM.
antietam is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 20, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Have you booked a fly drive with BA? If so keep an eye out for any further sales on their car hire as twice we have upgraded the car before we have arrived as it was less than if we done it at time of booking.
Previously I’ve booked Group Z (Tahoe) and picked up a Suburban, Group W (Edge) and got an Explorer, although went with a Mustang as it was only the 2 of us and a Group S (Explorer) and got a VW Atlas (our Touareg)
I’ve never had an issue with Avis, usually they are more than happy to help

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List