Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Aug 20, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Car hire, sat nav

Hi everyone

We’re coming over in August 2022, we love the ability to pick a car with Alamo but have a couple of questions

Why is sat nav chargeable? Are the cars really base spec? Or do they just remove the sd card from the unit which would seem really petty?
We’re looking at a pick up such as the f150 or suv such as the Tahoe

Also I don’t have a credit card, I don’t want a credit card either. Can I easily rent without one? I will be 38 at the time so not a young driver etc

Happy to pay by debit card obviously

Also I seem to remember years ago reading about being stung for extra insurances etc, is this still the case?

Thanks
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
julie b
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mikeandrach View Post
Hi everyone

We’re coming over in August 2022, we love the ability to pick a car with Alamo but have a couple of questions

Why is sat nav chargeable? Are the cars really base spec? Or do they just remove the sd card from the unit which would seem really petty?
We’re looking at a pick up such as the f150 or suv such as the Tahoe

Also I don’t have a credit card, I don’t want a credit card either. Can I easily rent without one? I will be 38 at the time so not a young driver etc

Happy to pay by debit card obviously

Also I seem to remember years ago reading about being stung for extra insurances etc, is this still the case?

Thanks
Use discount Florida car hire... Andy will help you and also has sat navs... recommend on this site...
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DFCH-Andy
DIBB Advertiser
- DIBB Advertiser -

The sat navs in US vehicles tend to be subscription based. Some may have a free trial from the manufacturer, some may be a lower spec so don't have one or you may strike lucky and find a vehicle that has one built in and working.

As you're going with Alamo, you can just walk the line and check them until you come across a vehicle that has it working.

As for the insurances, providing you book with a reputable company, the required insurances are included however if you visit the rental desk, the sales staff will be looking to earn commission so vitally important to check before you sign... But as you're going with Alamo, avoid that hassle, check in online and go straight to the garage so avoid the sales staff (subject to location).

www.discountfloridacarhire.co.uk
DFCH-Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 20, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi Mikeandrach

First of all welcome to the DIBB - you'll find us regular contributors to the car sub-forum a helpful bunch.

Only a few bits to add really.

I can genuinely recommend Andy at DFCH. We've used him about 6 times in the last 3 years. Would have been seven but we had to move our April booking to November and it was a 5 minute job with Andy to change. Fingers crossed we make that one.

We always use a credit card except once about 2 years ago and I gave them my debit card in error. No problem at all apart from the fuel bill and Sunpass hitting my bank quicker than via a CC

Can also recommend doing on line check in with Alamo. Avoid the terminal desk completely, go straight to the garage and pick your own car.

Mick
Old 23 Aug 20, 10:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mikeandrach
Getting Excited

Thanks everyone for the replies.

We have a while to wait yet but appreciate the help a lot.

We’ve found and booked a villa, still have to wait a long time for flights tho! Happy to extend our stay with a few days at teh coast at the end too so at the moment don’t even knwo how long our holiday will be! Villa booked for 18 nights, depending on flight prices etc we’ll potentially add a up to another week at the coast to relax
Mikeandrach is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

Just use your smartphone if you have ones for a satnav.

You can get free apps that allow you to download the maps and do everything without the need for data, or use the likes of Waze for real time directions if you have data.

Many of the cars now have Android Auto or Apple Carplay so you can display the navigation on the screen in in the car. Just take a cheap phone mount in case it doesn't have either option.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
adz_jh
Proud to wear my Ears

On the sat nav front, you probably won't even need one, everything their is so well signed and easy to get to etc, but as others have said, use your phone apps if possible also check your phone contract as some allow data to be used free just as it would at home, 3 and ee for example do on certain plans
adz_jh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 06:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I don’t faff about it anymore. I just book with Discount Florida carhire and rent the SatNav from Andy for about twenty quid (basically the cost of recorded delivery between him and me to send and return the thing). He price matches if prices for the hire drops and is a pleasure to deal with.
I disagree with “you won’t need one” but we tend to do a lot more in Florida than just villa to parks.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 20, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
I don’t faff about it anymore. I just book with Discount Florida carhire and rent the SatNav from Andy for about twenty quid (basically the cost of recorded delivery between him and me to send and return the thing). He price matches if prices for the hire drops and is a pleasure to deal with.
I disagree with “you won’t need one” but we tend to do a lot more in Florida than just villa to parks.
As you say you might need one when venturing on the back roads home from AMI via Zolfo Springs and Frostproof to avoid the Interstate but for those few occasions Joan has "Here we go" on her mobile. Doesn't use data if you download Florida maps first.

But again can't praise Andy highly enough as I may have mentioned a few times on here.

Mick
Old 25 Aug 20, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
As you say you might need one when venturing on the back roads home from AMI via Zolfo Springs and Frostproof to avoid the Interstate but for those few occasions Joan has "Here we go" on her mobile. Doesn't use data if you download Florida maps first.

But again can't praise Andy highly enough as I may have mentioned a few times on here.

Mick
I'm just plain nosey Mick, do you actually do that?