Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 5 Mar 18, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by elmspenguin View Post
we have stayed in Millers Road on each or our 3 visits to OKW. Twice we were in block 18 and we think this a great block, 2 minutes to the bus stop and quiet pool/laundry, it is a 5 minute walk to HH.

Last year we stayed on the right hand side of block 20 in the studio on the 2nd floor and agree about the bus noise all day but it honestly didn't bother us and never affected our sleep but i can see it being a problem if you are light sleepers. The herd of elephants in the 1 bed next door annoyed us more.

A tip we use to keep the light from coming through the peep hole or any old key hole that is no longer in use is to stick plasters over them, works every time.

Also if you stay on millers road and are able to, get off the bus at peninsular road and walk back to your block when coming back from the parks it is quicker than going round on the bus.
18 Millers is one of the best locations on site. 20 not so, I called it the runt of the Miller Road litter, but I’m glad the noise didn’t bother you. It would have driven me nuts but I’m very sensitive to road noises and Mrs YT is even worse.
Old 6 Mar 18, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yep you got a very bad room there. Those air con banks are also a pain, a high floor will normally mitigate those, if you get put near one.
Where roughly in the resort was this I’m trying to work it out.
I know it was crappy! I'm not normally someone who complains but it was such a rubbish location and the room was really run down too. Plus there was things broken like the front door chain thing didn't work and the balcony door was loose, my three year old fathomed that out in about 2 seconds flat. Then there was a huge electricity block at the side of the tv that was hanging off the wall with loads of wires coming out. We ended up blocking loads of bits off with suitcases, it was daft. Think it's been refurbed now though. We were on the top floor it was on peninsular road and then it had a road that curved off it round the back and that was the bus route. So peninsular road is the one you can see with the buses, I took them from sat on the bed and the road that you can see behind the air vent things is a different road curved off that. I've looked on a map and I can only guess it was Miller road but it looks like there's a big patch of green between block 29 and that road but there wasn't much at all in reality. I wish I could remember the room! I rarely comment on OKW rooms but as you started this thread I just wanted to add to avoid this location.

Edited at 12:05 AM.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

I worked it out, you were in 29 which is the last one on Peninsular before Turtle Pond. You were in the left side of that block, front elevation, which is very near Peninsular Road. Another room to avoid, particularly with the poor outlook at the back and air con bank right outside.
Thanks for the info.
If anyone else has rooms to avoid please post them here to help others.
I have to to stress most rooms are OK to good and it’s a lovely resort, but there are some much poorer room locations if bus noise bothers as per my original post and this example.
Sorry just saw this yes I think you're right. The buses went past the block and round the back of it. I totally agree with you as we went for a stroll the next morning and there was some gorgeous locations like the ones by the golf courses or set back away from the road. We'd of loved that!
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh heck! This doesn't instill confidence in our choice for our first on-site stay. Our only option with the online check-in was South Point Road. Does anybody know if this is an okay location, please?

Ps: If this thread is still active on my return I promise to contribute as to how our room location was!

Edited at 12:35 AM.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 01:34 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Itsabunthing View Post
Oh heck! This doesn't instill confidence in our choice for our first on-site stay. Our only option with the online check-in was South Point Road. Does anybody know if this is an okay location, please?

Ps: If this thread is still active on my return I promise to contribute as to how our room location was!
53, 54, 55 and 56 are on South Point. Whilst South Point is far from hospitality house, it is a really nice quiet location for the majority of rooms. It has its own small pool and is next to the walking path to Saratoga and Disney Springs. Just walk onto the golf course past the pool on the path and turn left. I’d really like to stay on South Point personally. The rooms, depending on when you are going, are not likely to be refurbed for a while there though.
I’ve always had rooms in good nick, no issues, last time I was there was summer 2016 and the room was nice, but they were ready for a refurb. Resort is gorgeous, I love it there.

Edited at 07:40 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 01:37 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
I know it was crappy! I'm not normally someone who complains but it was such a rubbish location and the room was really run down too. Plus there was things broken like the front door chain thing didn't work and the balcony door was loose, my three year old fathomed that out in about 2 seconds flat. Then there was a huge electricity block at the side of the tv that was hanging off the wall with loads of wires coming out. We ended up blocking loads of bits off with suitcases, it was daft. Think it's been refurbed now though. We were on the top floor it was on peninsular road and then it had a road that curved off it round the back and that was the bus route. So peninsular road is the one you can see with the buses, I took them from sat on the bed and the road that you can see behind the air vent things is a different road curved off that. I've looked on a map and I can only guess it was Miller road but it looks like there's a big patch of green between block 29 and that road but there wasn't much at all in reality. I wish I could remember the room! I rarely comment on OKW rooms but as you started this thread I just wanted to add to avoid this location.
Wow you got unlucky, I’ve never had a room in bad shape like that, but I’ve heard the odd one exists.
The refurb is underway so hopefully reports like yours will be a thing of the past. However refurb won’t be finished I don’t think until 2019 despite Disney claiming summer 2018 but I could be wrong. There’s a lot to refurb and they originally said it would take 2 years.
Old 6 Mar 18, 01:58 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

Wow you got unlucky, I’ve never had a room in bad shape like that, but I’ve heard the odd one exists.
The refurb is underway so hopefully reports like yours will be a thing of the past. However refurb won’t be finished I don’t think until 2019 despite Disney claiming summer 2018 but I could be wrong. There’s a lot to refurb and they originally said it would take 2 years.
Yes and I think you know looking back now that it might have been due to the situation. We were displaced due to Irma and the only room disney had was this studio in OKW. When we are there they had all the carpets and decor out in the room next to ours so I'm guessing that block was earmarked or down for a refurbishment. I do wonder if that studio wasn't to be used but opened more up due to people needing rooms after Irma. When I called to complain the lady at the desk agreed that it wasn't one of the better rooms.

I totally agree the vast majority of the resort was lovely and think we just got really unlucky with the room. Luckily they moved us though so I can't fault disney. Defo one for your list though based on location.
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
Old 6 Mar 18, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Itsabunthing
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks Yorkshire (I'm also from there). You've reassured me somewhat. Don't mind being away from hospitality house and happy with non-refurb room as long as it's quiet. Will be nice to walk to Disney Springs in the evenings.
Itsabunthing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 07:35 AM  
Link to this Post
lardypops
Apprentice Imagineer

lardypops's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by alkel2730 View Post
Nope, neither. Our room was a dreadful location as the road wrapped round it so the buses could be heard at all sides. There was glass lampshades above the bed and they rattled every time buses passed which was from early to late which made it worse especially at night. Like I say I don't know OKW very well as that was our first stay, but those of you who do might know from these views: This is the front:

And the back one way:

And the other way:
That looks a lot like the room we were allocated when we stayed, I complained and was moved the next day to block 18 which was perfect for us
lardypops is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Mar 18, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Itsabunthing View Post
Thanks Yorkshire (I'm also from there). You've reassured me somewhat. Don't mind being away from hospitality house and happy with non-refurb room as long as it's quiet. Will be nice to walk to Disney Springs in the evenings.
Unfortunately it's quite far, about a mile or so, and can't be used in the dark either. It's great for a run / walk in the day though and won't be ridiculously hot when you are there either. I'd plan at least 1 walk down it to Disney Springs. Me and Mrs YT went running down it last time.