Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Dec 18, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Do you know anyone who had most of their large bowel removed at an old age?

My sister-in-law has this operation last January. She never married and the only real tie she has is my DH. She had numerous hospital check ups after that and appeared to be recovering, albeit rather slowly. But then she is now 84! We even managed to have a week’s holiday at the end of May. Since then, things have just gone from bad to worse. She is still having check-ups, she has had a CT scan (she says she has discomfort in the remaining part of her large bowel) but nothing showed. She was told subsequently by the consultant that she is doing well for her age! If doing well means that she eats less and less and is now skeletal, then she is doing well. She says she can’t eat, she doesn’t fancy anything, she has “gone off” a lot of kinds of food and now never eats meat or fish, only toast and rice pudding. Everything makes her feel sick or gives her a bad bag. She eats so little, is so thin and has absolutely no energy (naturally). She reminds me of the films of people from Belsen. She has ordered a stairlift so, presumably, she wants to live!

I would love to hear from someone who has some knowledge of this sort of thing.

PS she sees a dietician and a nutrionist every week and they have given her nutritional drinks, but she doesn’t like most of them. No-one can persuade her to eat or drink. She is sooooo stubborn, I think she is waiting for a miracle to happen. I am so worried and upset as to how it is effecting our lives and those of our children and grandchildren.

Edited at 12:50 PM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

You say a "bad bag". Does she have a colostomy? Is it secure or does it leak some times? If she has not really come to terms with this perhaps a visit from the dedicated stoma nurse could help. Help allay her fears and encourage a proper diet and maybe check she is changing and sealing the stoma bag properly.
Old 18 Dec 18, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Yes, she had a colostomy many years ago. The latest op was the result of bowel cancer. It leaks sometimes and only in the night when she is in bed. The same thing happens with her older sister who also had bowel cancer but who eats a much greater variety of food.

Edited at 12:12 AM.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

I reckon she does need to see the Stoma Nurse, there are different sorts of bags and adhesives nowadays. She can also recommend diet for her.

Who does her washing, is that worrying her?

ETA

Most of the fortified drinks are revolting, the puddings are much nicer!

Edited at 02:11 PM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyPanda
Apprentice Imagineer

I could have written this almost word for word about my father. He had bowel cancer about 10 years ago and had part of his bowel removed. Since having his stoma fitted his appetite went and he's so frail now - he's only 72 but looks 90. He was hospitalised earlier this year due to malnurishment and was tube fed for 3/4 month and managed to put on almost 2 stone - i fear he's lost most of that since he was discharged in October though. He is given ensure shakes to have 3 times a day but other than that he barely eats. Sorry I can't offer any advice but offer solidarity in that I know what you're going through.
HappyPanda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel5678
slightly serious Dibber

She definitely needs to see a stoma nurse. My dad had his removed 20years ago - he will be 93 in January. His appetite is still good. He had a stairlift put in 4 years ago and has never used it he prefers using the stairs. He carried on playing tennis until his mid 80s.

Edited at 03:40 PM.
Mel5678 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

She needs to see a stoma nurse.Does she dislike eating because of the bag leaks? cause & effect stop people eating
Medication to increase her appetite ( small amount of alcohol works for some , antidepressants for others). The increased calorie drinks ie ensure aren't liked by many, has she tried different flavours/types?
Friend was told to add powdered milk to foods to raise calories ie in puddings/milkshakes etc by his dietician.
Small regular snacks and use an insulated cup to keep drinks/soups warm for longer if she is a slow eater.
If she's lonely maybe a local lunch group when eating becomes a pleasure with company rather than a chore.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Originally Posted by HappyPanda View Post
I could have written this almost word for word about my father. He had bowel cancer about 10 years ago and had part of his bowel removed. Since having his stoma fitted his appetite went and he's so frail now - he's only 72 but looks 90. He was hospitalised earlier this year due to malnurishment and was tube fed for 3/4 month and managed to put on almost 2 stone - i fear he's lost most of that since he was discharged in October though. He is given ensure shakes to have 3 times a day but other than that he barely eats. Sorry I can't offer any advice but offer solidarity in that I know what you're going through.
Thank you for your support. At 9:30 tonight, we received an urgent call and had to go racing to her house, not knowing what we were going to face. She was in such a mess, poor girl. Between the three of us we helped clean up the bathroom, her bed and herself. DH is staying the night and I have come home. She blamed the ‘vitamin tablets’ she had yesterday and today until I suggested it could be the fault of the custard donut she had eaten this morning. She is lactose intolerant! It is more difficult than dealing with a small child.
Old 19 Dec 18, 12:45 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My 92 year old mother in law has a bag . She manages very well with it but I do agree an appointment with the stoma nurse is overdue to help her manage it as she's clearly struggling.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bridget
Imagineer

Does she have any carers at all? I am not "passing the buck" as such but all of this will be a huge stress on you and your family. Yes, elderly people are sometimes like looking after a small child. It's very sad sometimes - getting old