Notices

Old 10 Aug 13, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Salou for halloween. October 2013.

Hi there. Booked our flights yesterday, so I’m starting my pre trip report. I did a trip report for last years holiday, but only from memory, so this year im being organised, taking notes and food photos.
I ll introduce us first...

First up, is myself, Julie, and getting closer to the big 40. Am known to change my name to Sapphire after a few drinks and am up for singing on karoke.
Im a qualified chef, now working as a cook manager at a school. Used to like big rides, but a wuss nowadays.

Oh, matt. Late 30s. Also qualified chef, now a manager at a restaurant. Loves the rides, but has a phobia of snakes.

Dd, Jessica, just turned 12. Mostly still a lovely girl, but has the odd pre teen strop. And, like most children her age loves you tube, she can watch videos of other people playing minecraft for ages. What is that about?!
She enjoys school and had a great first year in high school. Shes a purple belt in karate, honest, loves water rides but wont go near upside down rides.

Hopefully some friends will be joining us, but they havent booked the flights yet, so I’ll add them in the trip report if they make it.

We ve been to salou twice now, the first time in August for a week, where we visited portaventura and the water park there.
Had a lovely time but it was very busy.
Last year we went in October half term and had a blast so thats why we have booked again.

I have been keeping an eye on ryan air flights for a while now, and they have slowly been coming down, from £250 per person, to £256 for all of us. They will probably come down abit more but I was happy with that price and it was a nice surprise after getting through to the payment to find ryan air have got rid of the £6 per person each way charge if you pay by a normal credit/debit card.
I know ryan air get a lot of bad press, but we have used them a fair bit and never had any problem. They always land on time and the only slight inconvenience is not getting allocated seats (unless you pay extra)Ive always been seated with the people im travelling with.
So, we fly from stanstead at 6am ish, mon 28th oct, into reus, and return fri 1st nov at 9pm so nearly 5 whole days there.
We re staying at the calypso hotel in salou, the same hotel we stayed at last years. I havent read the recent reviews but they were pretty terrible before we went last year. I did consider changing last year, but we said as long as its clean, other things I can cope with. So we went slightly nervous but we thought the hotel was great, entertainment every evening including halloween themed things, 2 large swimming pools, ok they were freezing, but Jess was hardcore and didnt mind. Sometimes I do wonder what these people reviewing expect for the money they ve paid.
I wouldnt want to stay there for longer than a week but for us, it was a perfect base for portaventura and we had a lovely time there. (the bus system is brilliant)
Its costing £250 for all of us, all inclusive. Great value for us, as Matt and I like a drink. (San Miguel on tap, sangria, cocktails and local spirits included) it includes ice cream tubs all day, and all day/night food is available. Jess had the hot chocolate after her swim as well.
We ll get theme park tickets, 2 consecutive days at £150 for all of us.
Other bits are airport parking, maybe a hotel the night before, we ll change up about €150, I think that's what we spent last year. And can get more out there if needed.
The airport is really close to the resort, so can get a bus or taxi cheap enough.

It should be under £1000 for the whole thing.
So thats it for now really.

Edited at 01:06 PM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 13, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MissVincent
Imagineer

I enjoyed your trip report last year and looking forward to reading this one
MissVincent is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MissVincent View Post
I enjoyed your trip report last year and looking forward to reading this one
thanks, hopefully this years will be more informative. ive just looked at the recent reviews of the hotel, and they are all fantastic!
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Fab! We go in just over three weeks. Is it still warm in October, never been that late.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Popsickle View Post
Fab! We go in just over three weeks. Is it still warm in October, never been that late.
It was still warm. I'd say like a summers day here(not the heat wave days )
Too cold for me to brave the swimming pools thou. Did have a paddle in the sea last year. We were pretty cold after going on all the water rides, but we found lockers that are only €1, and on our second day got changed after a soaking.
Have a great holiday.
Old 11 Aug 13, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by roxie2001 View Post
It was still warm. I'd say like a summers day here(not the heat wave days )
Too cold for me to brave the swimming pools thou. Did have a paddle in the sea last year. We were pretty cold after going on all the water rides, but we found lockers that are only €1, and on our second day got changed after a soaking.
Have a great holiday.
Thanks, that sounds good as when we've been in Sept before it's got a bit windy and nippy hence us going early Sept, maybe just been unlucky. After you saying about the €1 lockers I went on their website and found the locations. I've just got my map out to plan our days there! It only seems like yesterday it was five weeks away

May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Popsickle View Post
Thanks, that sounds good as when we've been in Sept before it's got a bit windy and nippy hence us going early Sept, maybe just been unlucky. After you saying about the €1 lockers I went on their website and found the locations. I've just got my map out to plan our days there! It only seems like yesterday it was five weeks away
The lockers are great value, it's €1 every time you open it, but we fitted all our change of clothes, and drinks/sandwiches in one. We rented near the log flume. So we did the rapids, then the one with the big drop, a couple of times each, and were soaked. We headed towards the log flume, but decided against it. (We went on the previous day)
It was so nice to get changed into dry clothes, have a snack and wander around the rest of the park. The previous day we had left the water rides till last, and sat on the bus home wet. Not nice.
Are you staying at the portaventura hotel?
Old 11 Aug 13, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
ooo I'm joining this, I'm hoping to go in september but I'm a bit nervous of what to expect, loved your last report

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 13, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Hannikins View Post
ooo I'm joining this, I'm hoping to go in september but I'm a bit nervous of what to expect, loved your last report
Have you STILL not booked yet?

May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
Old 11 Aug 13, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Are the €1 lockers only for a short period of time and do you know if you have to use them to go on Furios Baco or can we take our bag on the ride? Checking out the you tube vid later to see whether to go on it... or not.

May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022