Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Sep 13, 06:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

Space Moutain or Rock and Roller Coaster

Went to DLP last weekend and road both. OK so the music wasn't playing on RRC but I found it to be less intense than Space Mountain. What do you think?
Which is more intense Space Mountain or Rock and Roller Coaster?

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 07:16 AM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
For me SM has the edge over RnRC... not only for the intensity of the ride, but the theming too. RnRC is waaay faster than SM, but its over so quickly that SM wins

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 07:18 AM  
Link to this Post
carpetman0569
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Although both enjoyable, RRC for me.
carpetman0569 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

I like RRC far more. It's a pity the music wasn't playing for you as that is a pretty major element of the ride.

I don't really like Sm as it literally makes my head rattle and bang in the seat and I'm sure that can't be good for me!
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Princess Alison View Post
I like RRC far more. It's a pity the music wasn't playing for you as that is a pretty major element of the ride.

I don't really like Sm as it literally makes my head rattle and bang in the seat and I'm sure that can't be good for me!
I find SM uncomfortable too...we usually just ride it once and even then I dread it and need to sit somewhere quiet for a while after to recover!
RRC I love! The theming is fab but no music must have a real impact on the enjoyment of the ride!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
If the question is purely about intensity then on paper RnRR should win

It pulls a top speed around 57mph and max 5Gs

However...

Space Mountain at DLP is unique. It's track layout has never been repeated and it's angled cable launch is special.

It features one more inversion than RnRR, is 20ft taller and got me SM will always be the better of the 2, even though I love RnRR.

If you're having head bashing issues on SM, a few things to note...

I watch loads if people riding SM holding on to the two handles of the overhead as if their life depends on it.

If you do, you'll tense up and your neck & head will feel the strain.

Instead - relax! Put your hands on your knees, keep your head back and just run with the ride. Much comfier. We also try and get the forward pair of each car in the train to give us more leg room.

Also...

Try riding later in the day, rather than first thing.

It's an old coaster trick. They run better and quicker later through the day as they warm up. The grease in the bearings loosens and the nylon wheels are a little more "spongey"

Old 25 Sep 13, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post

I prefer RnRC, James I have tried every trick in the book with SM2 but I always come off with a headache. I think it is the ergonomics of the seat design, if your head is just at the wrong bit of the seat back then it gets you, probably something to do with resonant frequencies, doesn't seem to affect taller or shorter people the same when I've tried a poll on it. Though I accept it's more connected to body length than overall height but that's hard to ascertain without getting personal. Looks like Lottie will be tall enough for SM2 in December, she's finally having a growth spurt and grown 3cm since we were in Blackpool in June, but Iain will be taking her on it, not me.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

They're both great rides, but I don't actually like riding SM. It just makes me feel sick. If I do ride it, I have to close my eyes when going through the space tunnel, as I feel so queasy.

I didn't ride it once last month, hubby and eldest son rode it numerous times though. It's hubby's favourite ride.

RnR is great for me due to the music as much as the ride itself. Was a bit hit and miss last month though, sometimes the music was on, others it wasnt. It's a strange ride without the music.

The last time I rode RnR last month, I came off feeling extremely sick. The two men sitting in front of us had bad BO issues, so you can imagine with the speed, the smell was hitting us hard. Still feel sick thinking about it, couldn't wait to get outside for some fresh air!

One of the rides I find most uncomfortable is Indiana Jones. Great ride, but both me and my son get very bruised shoulders after riding, they could do with making the restraint bar a bit more comfy.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JMGPannal
Excited about Disney

Regards the head banging it's an unfortunate element of most rides made by Vekoma in the past unfortunately. They don't age very well.

There was talk about new trains to relieve the issue but apparently it's a cost issue and won't be happening any time soon.

Shame really, I like SM but it does slightly take the edge off it!
DLR - Apr '22
DCL - Jul '21 (Magic), Jul ‘23 (Wish) & Nov ‘23 (Fantasy)
JMGPannal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Sep 13, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
JamelUK
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by JMGPannal View Post
Regards the head banging it's an unfortunate element of most rides made by Vekoma in the past unfortunately. They don't age very well.
Agreed! Which is why I'm suprised that RRnR (also a Vekoma) is riding so well!

Vekoma's usual track style involves the track ends just being butted together...

_____| |_____

Whereas other coaster types use a better "keying" method to prevent the tracks from warping out of alignment after time.

Couple that with Vekoma's coaster trains which generally have very little, if any damping, and they have somewhat of a reputation amongst the coaster fraternity.

They got better.

Expedition Everest over in Orlando is a Vekoma, and that seems to do okay.