Notices

Old 12 Jan 15, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
mutley
Apprentice Imagineer

We are flying in and out of Atlanta in Aug this year, driving in a big circle taking in Chattanooga, Smokie Mountains, Huntsville, Nashville, Memphis, down the Mississippi Delta, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, along the Gulf coast and back to Atlanta. This is a very rough plan and all we've booked so far is the flights. We have been to Atlanta before and I would highly recommend the Aquarium opposite world of Coca Cola. Try Googling The-Deep-South.com, they will send out free booklets with loads of info.
Old 12 Jan 15, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mutley View Post
We are flying in and out of Atlanta in Aug this year, driving in a big circle taking in Chattanooga, Smokie Mountains, Huntsville, Nashville, Memphis, down the Mississippi Delta, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, along the Gulf coast and back to Atlanta. This is a very rough plan and all we've booked so far is the flights. We have been to Atlanta before and I would highly recommend the Aquarium opposite world of Coca Cola. Try Googling The-Deep-South.com, they will send out free booklets with loads of info.
That website doesn't seem to exist... Might it be deep-south-usa/ ?
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Loving the sound of all your road trips.
We did the Blue Ridge Mtns, Richmond with Charlotte and Carrowinds for the DS etc on our way to the beach in Nags Head where we stayed with our friends in a beach house- it was awful well kept secret, shhh

We have also done the Boston and New England area years ago as well as the UTah and A rio a areas.

All your trips sound fab and the Deep South and Gone with the Wind Country is somewhere we want to do in a few years when DS doesn't want to go with us anymore. However when we retire we really want a long Coast to Coast as well.

Will watch all your routes and tips with interest- agree non Florida Road trips should be on here as a separate forum!

Edited at 11:08 PM.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 15, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

Originally Posted by *source* View Post
Hey Heather - I think it's a fab plan to have a road trips forum!

6 weeks is a great length of time - we only have 4 but are managing 10 states. We flew to NY - took a train to Pennsylvania - stayed in Amish country for a few days (AMAZING! ) and drove down through Washington and Charleston and Savannah to St Augustine and ended up in Florida for one of our trips. I think you will have a fantastic time. Are you going to do a trippie? X

PS - I once frequented the Grogg Shop in your hometown to buy my welsh DH a Grogg! I committed the sin of breaking one though over Christmas when I moved the bookcase they were on and one of the poor dudes now has broken legs!
Oh dear not a broken Grogg!

I have a Bill Beaumont (bought for my ex husband many years ago) who seems to have 'split' in the middle but I think he can be repaired with a drop of super glue!
Old 12 Jan 15, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Heather1957
Imagineer

I don't think I will do a trippie but I may well keep notes and a few records of accommodation/ miles/weather etc as someone may find the info useful.

I know we have been guessing a few of our driving distances although helped by Google maps and while I have done some research on the internet and trip advisor I tend to trust people more on here than other places.
Old 18 Jan 15, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Update

Hi All,

Sorry I haven't posted in a while but unfortunately my lovely Mam passed away and while it was expected and she had a good life (85 years young) but it's just not the same without your Mam.

Anyway the only updates that I have is that I have booked all the hotels in my original post. I know about the renovations and the bad reviews for the Chatanooga Hotel so hopefully it will have improved by the time I get there but I booked a non refundable room so going to make the best of it

Most of the original plan remains the same but in Atlanta I am considering doing the Walking Dead Tour we are huge fans of the programme and they also visit the some of the hunger games sites so it might be a good option.

Of all the places we are going to visit I am most exicted for Gatlingburg but I'm sure the rest will be equably as enjoyable.

We are considering booking our car hire with Sixt (off site at Charlotte) as they are giving a great deal €450 for a Rav 4 for 2 weeks. The cheapest alternative at the airport is 540 with the Meeting Place but we have not booked yet. We like to pay in advance and book and pay for something each month.

I agree that a road trip forum would be great as I just love the trip reports on this site and all the helpful advice. This forum showcased the beauties of the Smokie Mountains , Gatlinburg and Dollywood as an alternative to Disney for our family. Hopefully more will post their plans and ideas as it may lead to others booking something different like me.

Happy Planning
Old 6 Apr 15, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

Booking Commenced

Hi,

The planning is well under way and I have booked the following:-

Car hire went with rentalcars.com in the end onsite at Charlotte Airport €540 for a full size.

Gatlinburg - Dollywood and Splash County tickets
Chatanooga - Rock City Lookout Mountain
Atlanta - World of Coke (we are going to vist Lennox Mall on day of arrival)
Savannah - Olgethorpe Hop on hop off. Got a great deal by emailing and asking for a discount code.
Charleston - I was unable to book Boone Plantation as an overseas visitor so will pay on the day.
Myrtel Beach - plan is for beach and shopping so advance booking not required.

In total once converted all the above (excluding car) cost €665.

I have a full itinerary planned that has been tweaked and tweaked so I'm ready to go! Unfortunately I have to wait until May 30th.

Old 7 Apr 15, 01:05 AM  
Link to this Post

If you're still planning on doing the Walking Dead tour, can recommend Atlanta MovieTours, found them by accident, they're across the street from my oldest daughters loft, but we've done three tours with them now and all have been great. Smoke-ring restaurant (just down the block from them) is excellent.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 15, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Irelandmaryd

Originally Posted by Ilivehereorland View Post
If you're still planning on doing the Walking Dead tour, can recommend Atlanta MovieTours, found them by accident, they're across the street from my oldest daughters loft, but we've done three tours with them now and all have been great. Smoke-ring restaurant (just down the block from them) is excellent.
Thank you for the recommendation but not sure if we will be able to fit it in. When I showed the itinerary to the girls they were distraught that there was only two shopping days at the end so we compromised and are going shopping at Lennox Mall in Atlanta instead of a tour. Wish I had more time its so hard to choose. Maybe I will have to visit again.

Both my hubby and I love the walking dead and would have really enjoyed the tour but happy teenagers happy parents.
Old 29 Apr 15, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
*source*
Imagineer

Sorry to hear about your mum. We are just back from our trip - we had a blast and I have a wee recommendation for your girls... There are outlets in Commerce (just north of Atlanta if you have time )
*source* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List