Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 11 Jan 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Road Trip round New England in the Spring, not the Fall! Day 18 - Boston exploring and going home

Day 18 – Boston exploring and home

This was our last day. We didn’t want to go! Again it was hot, but a with clouds. We finished our packing and left the bags at the hotel, thanking them for a great stay. I would DEFINITELY stay here at The Boxer if we went to Boston again.

We walked towards Boston Common and I was keen to go on the Swan Boats! We had some coffee and pastries at Peets near Park Street Station and then headed into the Common

There were a lot of squirrels and they were very tame. There was one who was very, very pregnant and looked like a box with feet on each corner, she was so fat! I knelt down on one knee and she climbed up my leg and sat on my knee. So sweet. Will wasn’t quick enough to take a photo before she jumped off but I know other people took photos!

There was a small demonstration about bees dying out and they were asking people to hold signs for photos – so I helped them out.

Next stop was the gold-domed Massachusetts State Housel building. You were free to just explore at your own pace and it was quite busy. We were able to go into the chambers and see the Holy Mackerel and the Sacred Cod (sadly not allowed photos). It was a really interesting building and we spent a good hour here.

When we left and walked over the road and back to the Common there was a demonstration on women’t rights – all of them were dressed like The Handmaid’s Tale and looked very impressive! They were walking very slowly and serenely.

Then it was the Swan Boats! I just loved this. We only had to wait a short time and then were pedalled round on the boat by a girl who must have thighs of steel by now! Very peaceful and was lovely just to sit back, bask in the sun and watch the ducks. The boats are such a historic icon in Boston and I was so pleased we got to do them as they were shut for winter on our last visit.

We saw a few more statues decked out in Ice Hockey gear.

Being big Game of Thrones fans we’d spotted signs for an interactive exhibition and headed off down Boylston Street to find it, really without much hope as we thought we’d missed it. We had. We consoled ourselves with a Starbucks.

From here we headed off down Back Bay area to see the posh houses and then down to the Charles River. We walked along the Charles River Esplanade and watched the Alewife fish in the shallows – lots of them! We’d seen the Alewife subway stop and thought it was just names after a drunken wife but it’s actually after these fish as there are so many of them.

Now we’d been away best part of 3 weeks and I, the mosquito dish of the day, hadn’t been bitten once – despite the woods and rivers we’d been to. Until now. A ‘last chance’ signal must have gone out as they certainly made the most of my t-shirt arms along here. I was NOT happy.

Our long walk continued and we eventually finished up on Cambridge Street in the Kinsale Irish pub near the city hall. We had beers and burgers. It was nice but depression was setting in for going home.
Back to the hotel to pick up our luggage and they called us a taxi.

It was a good job we had plenty of time as bag-drop took an hour for some reason at the Norwegian desk. Onwards to security and my bag went down the chute of shame … as I suspected it would. My seal on a rock that I'd bought at Bar Harbor was inside. The box was opened and the two security guards were totally surprised by the contents! One said that he’d seen worse uses for a rock haha! I couldn’t help but laugh.

Will had a milkshake while we waited for our flight. I must say the gates are far too close to each other and there wasn’t enough room where we were for 3 flights all trying to board at once and it all got a bit chaotic. We still had our mystery priority boarding though so were soon on the plane and seated. It had actually started raining by this time, so that cheered us up a bit. The flight was good and uneventful. We both managed a couple of hours asleep.

We landed at Gatwick at 8.55am. The passport machines were having tantrums and I was dragged off to another desk. Will never saw me go so thought I’d hopped on the plane back again! Meet & Greet car worked perfectly and we drove straight to the cattery to pick up Pepper. She was very happy.

That night we went to see Rod Stewart in concert at Southampton FC stadium. It was excellent but I’m not sure I’d book up something on the day we came home again. I was glad we were seated and not standing but it did round off an amazing holiday!

So, the end of another fabulous road trip. We’d loved every minute of it and, apart from lack of bears, moose, beavers etc,. it had all worked out as it should. Hope you’ve enjoyed reading if you’ve got this far and apologies for the eternity it’s taken me to finish!

Now for Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest……………………….

Index here - https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...8#post13903548

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023

Edited at 03:25 PM.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jan 20, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
KayLouise
Very Serious Dibber

What a brilliant holiday in such a beautiful part of the world. Thank you for sharing! 😊
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
smithlane
VIP Dibber

I've really enjoyed reading your report Anji, you've given me loads of ideas for when we do something similar in a few years. Just got to get rid of the pesky kids first
Looking forward to reading about your next adventure. My parents are doing something similar this September, starting in Vancouver, ferry to Seattle, train to Portland then overnight train to San Francisco. I've sent Mum your last report from when you went before as there's loads of great info for her to read. Have a great time

IG - alicialanesmith
smithlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by smithlane View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your report Anji, you've given me loads of ideas for when we do something similar in a few years. Just got to get rid of the pesky kids first
Looking forward to reading about your next adventure. My parents are doing something similar this September, starting in Vancouver, ferry to Seattle, train to Portland then overnight train to San Francisco. I've sent Mum your last report from when you went before as there's loads of great info for her to read. Have a great time
Thanks and glad you enjoyed reading! Really looking forward to going back to Seattle and Portland but super-excited for the rest of the trip. We may run into Prince Harry on Vancouver Island now!
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 01:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Great end to a really good vacation. we really liked Boston.

We saw Rod at Plymouth a couple of years back and thought that he was excellent.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:51 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Great end to a really good vacation. we really liked Boston.

We saw Rod at Plymouth a couple of years back and thought that he was excellent.
He was really good - he did have to take a couple of turns on a stool for a rest though to sing! We're lucky as we can walk to the stadium if the weather is good or get the bus

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 16 Jan 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Great last day - you fit loads in! I always feel a bit funny on the last day - i want the latest flight possible to enjoy every minute, but then I also feel kind of fed up all day and like i'm waiting for the flight even if I am out exploring! There is no way I could do a concert on the day I arrive home though - you are braver than me! Off to find the next trip now Thanks for sharing!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 12:55 AM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
Great last day - you fit loads in! I always feel a bit funny on the last day - i want the latest flight possible to enjoy every minute, but then I also feel kind of fed up all day and like i'm waiting for the flight even if I am out exploring! There is no way I could do a concert on the day I arrive home though - you are braver than me! Off to find the next trip now Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure! Are you going to do a report too? Where in the Keys are you going? Love the Keys (see my other report!)

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022
Old 17 Jan 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
My pleasure! Are you going to do a report too? Where in the Keys are you going? Love the Keys (see my other report!)
I just had a quick look through the Keys section of that report - looks amazing (not the flight, omg...). We have less time than you - we are staying one night in Homestead after our flight to Miami, then 2 nights in Key West, 1 in Marathon and 1 in Kay Largo, before driving up to Disney. We are planning to go meet the dolphins at the dolphin research centre, go to the turtle hospital, find some Key deer, take a seaplane to Dry Tortugas and go snorkelling in the reef (I am scared of flying so this may be an experience...), visit Hemmingway's house, see the giant fish at Robbie's, and see a lot of sunrises and sunsets! I am very excited, it is my double digit day today

I don't think I will do a New England report - too much of a huge time commitment for me... I may do a summary of best bits with some pictures though if it is wanted!
Wismgari is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I just had a quick look through the Keys section of that report - looks amazing (not the flight, omg...). We have less time than you - we are staying one night in Homestead after our flight to Miami, then 2 nights in Key West, 1 in Marathon and 1 in Kay Largo, before driving up to Disney. We are planning to go meet the dolphins at the dolphin research centre, go to the turtle hospital, find some Key deer, take a seaplane to Dry Tortugas and go snorkelling in the reef (I am scared of flying so this may be an experience...), visit Hemmingway's house, see the giant fish at Robbie's, and see a lot of sunrises and sunsets! I am very excited, it is my double digit day today

I don't think I will do a New England report - too much of a huge time commitment for me... I may do a summary of best bits with some pictures though if it is wanted!
I'd love to go to the Dry Tortugas! Next time Happy DD day

Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
Florida Road Trip 2022