Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Invisible Man
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by sunjue100 View Post
Ds check in is near cirque de soliel so if you park near there you’ll be right next to the checkin desks
Free parking as well..😎
Invisible Man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Charl_bb View Post
I would go with Virgij if they were a few hundred pounds overall more expensive as I like the experience with them however if it was £1000 more I would go with someone else
That's the crux of the argument, how much more or less are you willing to accept to travel with any given company via any different route.
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Invisible Man View Post
It’s the afternoon meals I don’t like. Sandwiches always have things on I don’t like, and I don’t like the fruit in the scones..Proper fussy me ..😂
I thought switching from sandwiches to wraps a few years ago was a brilliant move as any bread based sandwich (including the meal deals) deteriorates fast when it is able to dry out. I doubt very much whether they are actually fresher than the bread sandwiches, but the wraps feel fresher as they keep better.
Old 25 Jan 20, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
I thought switching from sandwiches to wraps a few years ago was a brilliant move as any bread based sandwich (including the meal deals) deteriorates fast when it is able to dry out. I doubt very much whether they are actually fresher than the bread sandwiches, but the wraps feel fresher as they keep better.
That is a horses for courses thing. I find a semi refrigerated wrap akin to eating a lump of cardboard that I have found at the roadside. I simply won’t/don’t eat them.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
anneeb
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
That is a horses for courses thing. I find a semi refrigerated wrap akin to eating a lump of cardboard that I have found at the roadside. I simply won’t/don’t eat them.
I have to agree with you, wraps are tasteless 'posh' cardboard.
anneeb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 20, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
lorwar66
Getting to know the DIBB

Though price has a lot to do with my choice, it’s the flight times that swing it for me, though I don’t have much choice now from Manchester!
lorwar66 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The whole lot is a horses for courses thing. I remember when we've debated indirect vs direct in the past we each expressed a preference based on our circumstances. I'm close to Manchester which means directs offer a valid time saving, whereas with a few hours drive at the start of whatever route you take, and a desire to see much more than Orlando itself, the pull of a direct flight is not actually offering you much in the way of value.

It's hard for any of us to confer the experience of several trips to someone else without tainting your advice with your own personal preferences and tastes. For years we would never have considered an airport hotel as we're only 45 mins from Manchester, it was seen as an unnecessary cost. One year we flew from Glasgow so considered it worthwhile. We now stay over at Manchester, because we loved the experience in Glasgow. We have found we can keep the cost down to a point where we now see it as worth it. We do this by early booking, bundling with parking etc. After experiencing it, we also see significant value in not leaving the house under time pressure. It's orders of magnitude less stress... but that was something nobody would have convinced me had a value until I'd tried it for myself. We were used to the way we'd always done it, get up early, leave at 6ish. It's worth paying a bit to not start the holiday with arguments over showers, have you locked this got that, who turned off such and such. etc.

One mans neither here nor there, is another mans right royal pain in the whatnots. One mans negligible saving is the difference between affordability and not for someone else. All swings and roundabouts at the end of the day !
Old 27 Jan 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
pretty_lucky
VIP Dibber

We've flown Thomas Cook, Virgin, BA and TUI (before becoming TUI). This year we'll be flying AA and BA.

OH moans whichever airline we fly with and swears we'll never use them again - the only one he seems to have remembered about from one year to the next though is VA.

Personally, I used to love Club Orlando from MAN back in the day, and Club World when it first came out. We're economy all the way now though (unless they have some freak fare when we're searching like our return flight in Feb) and have booked both indirect and airports further afield for both legs (TPA and LGW).

I was pleased to hear about people's experiences of VA Customer Service when things go wrong, and about the free seat allocation as these are all good to consider going forward.

As I'm generally in charge of the booking and organising, he never need know until he gets us all to the airport!

Also, got to agree with Thorpy about extra money being well spent on a hotel the night before flying out. If there are any arguments, they tend to be the day before the official travel day! Dinner out the night before, when you're on the way to the hotel, or once checked in, is a real stress buster too. Just wish the 9 year old could calm down when we all (me, OH, 17 yo DS as well) share a room the night before!
Old 27 Jan 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pretty_lucky View Post
We've flown Thomas Cook, Virgin, BA and TUI (before becoming TUI). This year we'll be flying AA and BA.

OH moans whichever airline we fly with and swears we'll never use them again - the only one he seems to have remembered about from one year to the next though is VA.

Personally, I used to love Club Orlando from MAN back in the day, and Club World when it first came out. We're economy all the way now though (unless they have some freak fare when we're searching like our return flight in Feb) and have booked both indirect and airports further afield for both legs (TPA and LGW).

I was pleased to hear about people's experiences of VA Customer Service when things go wrong, and about the free seat allocation as these are all good to consider going forward.

As I'm generally in charge of the booking and organising, he never need know until he gets us all to the airport!

Also, got to agree with Thorpy about extra money being well spent on a hotel the night before flying out. If there are any arguments, they tend to be the day before the official travel day! Dinner out the night before, when you're on the way to the hotel, or once checked in, is a real stress buster too. Just wish the 9 year old could calm down when we all (me, OH, 17 yo DS as well) share a room the night before!
I second this, we are only 20 mins from Manchester but last time stayed at the Radisson Blu the night before and what a difference it made, we did twighlight check in the night before and chilled out at the hotel. In the morning, no worrying about what you've forgot or rechecking the house 4 times, had a really fab leisurely breakfast at the hotel which was probably cheaper than the airport and then strolled over. Would definitely do it again.
Old 27 Jan 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

We live on the outskirts of Durham, let the train take the strain and overnight at Heald Green Premier Inn, it's a plus disembarking at HG station to walk 150 yards to the PI. Altho we don't twilight we check-in 75 mins pre push-back, least airport time possible.

It's unfortunate our many years travelling VA PE are ending with the A350 introduction/PE downgrading but we have alternatives lined up for next winter. Customer service from VA has been very good, and bar one time of very bad food/service in UC they've been smooth journey's, no major delays, the odd hour or less... c'est la vie!