Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Krakow Sept 2019 - Travel/day 1

3 nights in Krakow
Pre Travel/ Travel day September 2019
We travelled up on the Thursday after work and decided to stop in the Britannia airport hotel, now this place is not the best to be honest it is pretty shabby buts its cheap and clean and it does the job and you can just grab an uber to the airport for around £7 or there is a shuttle provided by the hotel which I think was roughly the same price as an uber 

We went for tea at the airport pub and both had some sort of burger which was ok not the best to be honest, ordered our favourite beer ( Moretti) and we sat and plane watched for a little while before deciding to head to an asda for some room snacks.

We got in bed ready for our early flight and weirdly a documentary about WW2 and Auswitch was on the TV so we watched that.

Up at the crack of dawn for our 06:25 flight to Frankfurt unfortunately we couldn’t get direct flights at a reasonable price which is strange for Krakow but we didn’t mind the change , we love seeing new airports. Flight was great with Lufthansa we got a little snack and a drink which is great for such a short flight. Landed in Frankfurt at around 9am and pretty much straight to the gate for our next flight to Krakow, flight was non eventful again a little snack and a drink and we were there by 12.

We had decided to get the train into Krakow central as our air BNB was just down the road from the main train station ( Glowny) , this was super easy really well signposted from the airport and super cheap I think from memory it was around 9 zloty each ( just under £2) it took around 20 minutes, trains were really nice and clean and before long we were arriving.
We got a bit lost in the train station as it is so big it doubles as a shopping centre so can be a bit confusing, but we eventually found the right exit and put our air BNB in 5 minute walk later and we were arriving at out little flat.
First impressions were great this place was so cheap it literally cost us around £80 for 3 nights it was a lovely flat with its own private entrance, little balcony really modern décor and lots of little nice touches around the place. It was immaculately clean, We were really impressed. Location was about 20 mins from main square but 5 mins from main train station which is what we wanted.

We dropped our bags off and were straight out off exploring, the weather was lovely and it was a really nice walk to the main square. We reached the square and wow we were impressed the buildings were beautiful. We had alook at St Marys Basilica really impressive we wanted to get tickets to climb to the top but they were sold out for the day.

The buildings here were so beautiful

We found a little market just off the square and watched some traditional singing which was lovely. There was lots of little food and craft stalls here very similar to xmas markets and we grabbed one of the spiny potatoes to try which were lovely.

We just generally mooched around taking in the sites and getting our bearings. We decided we wanted dumplings at this point and there was a place highly recommended to us called Przystanek Pierogarnia, which was about 20 mins walk away. It was worth the walk they were lovely, we had the bacon and onion dumplings I loved them I’m not sure Darren was very keen but he is quite a fussy eater anyway. It’s the most random little place down a back street but it was filled with locals so to me that’s a good sign

We walked back to the main square and decided to grab a drink in one of the bars, these bars are more expensive than the little local ones or any off the square for that matter but it still really wasn’t expensive around 30 zloty for two beers and the view was worth the extra, not sure how I felt about the horses we didn’t ride them, they looked beautiful but I’d heard some bad things about the way they were treated.

We had a dinner reservation for moo moo steak and burger so we headed there next this was just off the square and we really really enjoyed this meal

It was getting late by now so we decided to take a slow wander back through the square taking some pictures. The cloth market looked beautiful all lit up at night

We cut back through shopping centre as it was a bit chilly in the evenings and I’d packed clothes that weren’t the warmest. I picked up a little pink jumper really cheap which you will see me wearing for most of this trip ha ha. We also were amazed to see a bath and body works although it was expensive compared to the states, we still had a little mooch around though.

We picked up a couple of beers from a little local shop near to our apartment that was dirt cheap if I remember rightly it was about 4 zloty for a huge bottle of Tyskie beer ( out new favourite) we ended the day sat on our little balcony enjoying a beer or two, lovely.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tracy99
Imagineer

I will enjoy reading your trip report & picking up some tips along the way,for places to eat & grind,as we have our first visit coming up in April.
Love the look of your airbnb & what a great price.
We definitely prefer them over hotels.I’m hoping ours will be easy to find.
Look forward to reading more.
Tracy x
Old 12 Feb 20, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Originally Posted by tracy99 View Post
I will enjoy reading your trip report & picking up some tips along the way,for places to eat & grind,as we have our first visit coming up in April.
Love the look of your airbnb & what a great price.
We definitely prefer them over hotels.I’m hoping ours will be easy to find.
Look forward to reading more.
Tracy x
You will love it, the food is amazing and so cheap too, its one of the most beautiful cities I ve been too.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Jules32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Our son and his fiancée are off to Krakow in May so I’m enjoying reading your report too. He has also booked an Airbnb. We are always looking for new places to explore so we may end up adding Krakow to our ever-growing list
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
myvot
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My husband would love Moo moo steak and burger. Was it expensive? I've never been to Krakow but would love to visit this year if possible
myvot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MANATEE33
Excited about Disney

Thanks for your trip report, am reading with interest as off to Krakow to celebrate my 50th Birthday in 2 weeks...can't wait !
MANATEE33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Our son and his fiancée are off to Krakow in May so I’m enjoying reading your report too. He has also booked an Airbnb. We are always looking for new places to explore so we may end up adding Krakow to our ever-growing list
Honestly it was fantastic so glad we went, we loved it
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Originally Posted by myvot View Post
My husband would love Moo moo steak and burger. Was it expensive? I've never been to Krakow but would love to visit this year if possible
No not at all , none of Krakow is expensive at all, I think we paid around 100 zloty ( £20) for 2 burgers ( one large) and truffle fries, 2 beers. Steaks started at around 45 zloty this was the most expensive meal we ate whilst we were there. the quality of the food was amazing we didn't have one bad meal at all in Krakow.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Jules32
slightly serious Dibber

Jules32's Reviews
Originally Posted by MANATEE33 View Post
Thanks for your trip report, am reading with interest as off to Krakow to celebrate my 50th Birthday in 2 weeks...can't wait !
You will love it have a fab time, should have day 2 up by the end of today.
Cabana bay 2024
DCA OCT 23
Old 13 Feb 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Going later in the year. Thanks for sharing. Great Pics.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List