Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Aug 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile Dog locked in car

Just had a horrible experience at my local Aldi.
I was taking my trolley back after loading all my shopping into the car, and heard a god almighty noise.
At first it sounded like a gull or something screeching, and a few people were turning round to see what/ where the noise was coming from.
I noticed a guy walk over to a car and he was peering in the window. I went over to him as it was at that point I realised that the noise was coming from the car and that a dog was locked inside making an unholy racket.
The chap confirmed that there WAS a little dog in there and it was very distressed. It was 27 degrees outside and god knows how hot inside. It was inside a black dog carrier too, one of those nylon ones with mesh windows, so it couldn't even get up to the small gap that had been left cracked open in the window.
The guy said he would go into the store and ask for them to shout over the tannoy, so I waited at the car and I was talking to the dog through the window ( I know that sounds ridiculous but it did quiten down)
A few people had gathered at this point and whilst everyone was saying how disgusting it was noone seemed to be that bothered?!
I decided to go see someone in store myself, and as I went in, the chap who had said he was going to call for help, was mooching around the reduced baskets just inside the door!
I asked him if he had informed the staff, and he hadn't, he said he was just about to..then he walked off in the direction of the fruit and veg aisle!
So I went to the tills and told the cashier that there was a very distressed dog locked in a car, and could they put a word out over the tannoy.
He said no, we don't have one, so there's nothing we can do, sorry.

At this point I rang the police. The dog was quiet by now but I didn't know if that was because it had collapsed.
The person on the phone asked me if the dog was distressed because it had been left or because it was overheating?! I said that it was 27 degrees outside, it was in a black car in full sun, and I would pretty much guess it would be overheating, wouldn't you?! Her response was to tell me that she 'was sat in an office, hadn't been outside so really had no idea how warm it was so... ' ( Obviously lives in a cave, has no access to newspaper/internet/ weather forecasts for the past week that have been saying it's going to be the hottest bank holiday on record)
Anyway she took all the details and just as I was about to hang up, the owner of the car came walking over.
I told her how irresponsible she was for leaving a dog in a car in that heat, to which she started swearing at me at the top of her voice telling me to 'F### off, that he always cries when hes left, there was nothing wrong with him and she's only been a couple of minutes " I told her that SHE should be locked in the car in that heat, see how she likes it. I still had the police on the line so they heard the language she was using towards me which wasn't pleasant.She then got in the car and drove off.
The whole thing was horrible. I'm a quiet person that hates confrontation and the whole thing left me a bit shaky afterwards. My 77r old Mum, and my elder sister who has learning difficulties were sat in my car the other side of the store, oblivious to everything that had gone on, wondering why it was taking me so long to put a trolley back.
I have two rescue dogs and I won't let them out of the house in this heat never mind lock them in a car. I just hope her dog was ok.

Sorry for the long story, just needed to offload.
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Totally disgusting I’ve called the police beforehand in that situation and they smashed the car window and called the RSPCA and culprit received a hefty fine
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Scoop
Excited about Disney

Mobile

That is so cruel and gets me so mad. I would have smashed the window in and faced the consequences then let rip on the stupid owner. If you cant tell I like animals far more people. Hope you are ok though x
Scoop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
That is so cruel and gets me so mad. I would have smashed the window in and faced the consequences then let rip on the stupid owner. If you cant tell I like animals far more people. Hope you are ok though x
I have a hammer thing in the glove box, one of those things you use to smash windows if you're trapped, I was going to ask the advice of the police before I smashed the window in, then she turned up!
I'm ok, I just hope that the pooch is x
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Prospect1
VIP Dibber

As the police were still on the line I hope you gave her car registration.
Prospect1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Prospect1 View Post
As the police were still on the line I hope you gave her car registration.
I'd already given all the details, they had the reg, make and model. They also confirmed that they had heard all the verval abuse she gave me. However as she had turned up they said that they would close the case. I was hoping that they would pay her a visit but I expect they are too stretched to do that.
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by smoggy123 View Post
I'd already given all the details, they had the reg, make and model. They also confirmed that they had heard all the verval abuse she gave me. However as she had turned up they said that they would close the case. I was hoping that they would pay her a visit but I expect they are too stretched to do that.
Maybe if it happens again they will pay her a visit, poor doggy.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Lucky it was you and not me as I would have had no qualms about smashing the window and getting the dog out if she had given me any abuse. Thank God the police heard her.
Happened in Waitrose a couple of years ago & I went inside and found the manager and said if they did not get the owner of the car outside within 5 mins I would be smashing the car window while I waited for the police to come - it went out over the tanoy as urgent and the owner did go straight out to the car. I lied and said I was from the RSPCA and had taken her number and should she ever be reported again for leaving her dog she would be prosecuted then I just walked off.
I would not have hesitated to do just as I had said, albeit after I had indeed phoned the police & told them, as you did, & that I was going to do it - prosecute me & see if I care, an animals life is more important to me than not being allowed into the USA for having a record! I could not have lived with myself had I not done anything.
Well done you for doing what you did.
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Some people are so cruel, you hear things like it’s only a dog! Round this area if you smashed someone’s car window you’d get your face smashed in. I would call the police and wait there till the owners came back, poor little dog chances are they will do it again!
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lilly3580
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Disgusting behaviour, well done for standing your ground. Some people don't deserve animals, poor little animal.
Lilly3580 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List