Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 25 Jan 11, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Shortcake View Post
Would you let me know what RC say
Hi Shortcake,

I received a reply this morning, as follows:
Dear Miss X

Many thanks for your email.

I'm afraid we are unable to accept FairFX cards onboard our ships. We are
able to accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, U.S Dollars Travellers
Cheques and Cash as forms of payment onboard.

Regards

Info UK Email Team
Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises & Azamara Club Cruises
Bit confusing as it says unable to accept FairFX but able to accept Mastercard. Technically FairFX is a Mastercard?

I just don't want to risk it not going through on the last day of the cruise so looks like I'll be incurring charges on my Nationwide or going down the cash route!
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Hal
Gloria sic transit mundi.

Hal's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 17
Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Question - how do RC know if its a prepaid card or not?
The technical reason is the first 4 or 6 digits of the PAN number (the 16-digit number on the front of the card) will identify it as a prepaid Mastercard rather than a Credit Card, irrespective of whatever signs or symbols or emblems are on the card.

Owner at Marriott Marbella Beach, Cypress Harbour, & Harbour Lake; and DVC OKW & BLT.

There are only two ways to live your life.
One is as though nothing is a miracle.
The other is as though everything is a miracle.
Hal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Hal View Post
The technical reason is the first 4 or 6 digits of the PAN number (the 16-digit number on the front of the card) will identify it as a prepaid Mastercard rather than a Credit Card, irrespective of whatever signs or symbols or emblems are on the card.
I guessed that might be the case but the foregoing doesn't answer WHY they don't take them. I think they ought to address the question that was asked instead of making corporate statements. It would put me off going with them. I guess they're panicking that you might run up a bill that comes to more than the funds you would have on the card. Easy way around that is set a limit on your room card. I hate big companies that come up with statements but never back up why certain decisions have been made.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Hi

Do they accept fairfx cards on the disney ships then?
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

I guessed that might be the case but the foregoing doesn't answer WHY they don't take them. I think they ought to address the question that was asked instead of making corporate statements. It would put me off going with them. I guess they're panicking that you might run up a bill that comes to more than the funds you would have on the card. Easy way around that is set a limit on your room card. I hate big companies that come up with statements but never back up why certain decisions have been made.
To be honest, I don't think (and didn't expect) them to know what a FairFX card actually is, but I even included a link to the FairFX website for them.

Can anyone answer me this... These are the t's and c's of my Nationwide Flex Account, stating commision charge for non-sterling transactions is 2%. Does this mean if I spent £500 (obviously in dollar equivalent) on it I'll be charged £10 in fees?

Stupid question, I know! I'm just not very good with this kind of thing.
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by scottishgirl87 View Post
To be honest, I don't think (and didn't expect) them to know what a FairFX card actually is, but I even included a link to the FairFX website for them.

Can anyone answer me this... These are the t's and c's of my Nationwide Flex Account, stating commision charge for non-sterling transactions is 2%. Does this mean if I spent £500 (obviously in dollar equivalent) on it I'll be charged £10 in fees?

Stupid question, I know! I'm just not very good with this kind of thing.
Spot on I'm afraid. It's outrageous given that any conversion charges are weighted in their favour too.(Bank rate or not).
Old 25 Jan 11, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Spot on I'm afraid. It's outrageous given that any conversion charges are weighted in their favour too.(Bank rate or not).
Thanks Geoff! I'm quite happy with that, well as happy as I can be at a charge as it used to be free! My only problem now is how much to put in that account for our onboard expenses (I don't generally use the account anymore), lol, at least with the FairFX if push came to shove I could pay for some internet time onboard and add more to it from my bank account. With my Nationwide it'd have to be a bank transfer which would take a few days!

Anyway, rambling, thank you very much for all your help
Old 26 Jan 11, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Sorry me, again. Thought I would update and say that 2 people have replied to me over on Cruise Critic saying that they've successfully used both a CaxtonFX and a FairFX for their onboard accounts on RCI!
Old 27 Jan 11, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

My Dad used FairFX on RCI in 2007 and on Princess and Celebrity last year, even though they state they dont take prepaid debit cards. I'm guessing they blocked out so much each day. He wasnt keen to get the card - I talked him into it - but now he uses it for all his US cruises and land holidays.

I saw your question on Cruisecritic yesterday and nearly answered there but there were already quite a few conflicting answers.
Old 27 Jan 11, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread