Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 28 Jan 11, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Whisky In A Va
Getting Excited

Eastern Cruise May - What to do?

So we are under 100 days to my first ever Cruise and we cannot wait.
Travelling will be myself (38), wife, dd (8), ds (3) and the in laws.

This weekend we are looking are deciding on what we need to book when the bookings are available.

We have studied this long and hard, but the more I look the more we can't decide. So if you have been on this cruise what would you favourite tips be for what to do while on the cruise at port?

We are really keen on doing snorkelling (just me, daughter (8) and father in law) but can'r decide which trip. Then the wife is keen on doing some shopping.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Neil
2012 Florida. 2014 Florida. 2016 Florida.
Whisky In A Va is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 11, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Personally for a first cruise, I would not plan to do too much off the boat - just relax and enjoy the ship.

If you do have some 'must do' trips, then you will often find its cheaper to book these independently of the cruise ship...after all, most cruise ships don't actually run their own excursions - they are just taking a handling fee for organising you to go on existing ones available in the ports (though you do get the security of the ship waiting for you should you be late back for unexpected reasons !).

We did the Seahorse Snorkel trip on Castaway Cay and was not at all impressed with it.
For a start, even on CC, it is not a Disney operated excursion (ie not run by Disney personnel), and tbh it could be described more accurately as " a trip in a boat to a reef and back ! " ..than what its fancy romantic title implied !
And though its a catermeran go are taken in, they don't sail to the reef so it might as well be any old speed boat !
The snorkelling was distinctly unimpressive - did not see anything very interesting, and the waters were hardly teaming with different fish... quite boring stuff really unless you haven't ever snorkelled at all before ? I thought it was a little too deep really where they took us.

The rapport of the operators was appauling - just get you in the water, and then out of it asap... no proper instruction, no information about what you might see - the crew hardly spoke to us more than they had to.
We did wonder if it was because they knew we would not be carrying cash on CC, so knew there was little prospect of a tip.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:15 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 11, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella1
Imagineer

Bella1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Which ports are you visiting?
Bella1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 11, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Whisky In A Va
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Bella1 View Post
Which ports are you visiting?
St Marteen, St Thomas and Castaway.
Whisky In A Va is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 11, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Whisky In A Va
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by jdybnsn View Post
Personally for a first cruise, I would not plan to do too much off the boat - just relax and enjoy the ship.

If you do have some 'must do' trips, then you will often find its cheaper to book these independently of the cruise ship...after all, most cruise ships don't actually run their own excursions - they are just taking a handling fee for organising you to go on existing ones available in the ports (though you do get the security of the ship waiting for you should you be late back for unexpected reasons !).

We did the Seahorse Snorkel trip on Castaway Cay and was not at all impressed with it.
For a start, even on CC, it is not a Disney operated excursion (ie not run by Disney personnel), and tbh it could be described more accurately as " a trip in a boat to a reef and back ! " ..than what its fancy romantic title implied !
And though its a catermeran go are taken in, they don't sail to the reef so it might as well be any old speed boat !
The snorkelling was distinctly unimpressive - did not see anything very interesting, and the waters were hardly teaming with different fish... quite boring stuff really unless you haven't ever snorkelled at all before ? I thought it was a little too deep really where they took us.

The rapport of the operators was appauling - just get you in the water, and then out of it asap... no proper instruction, no information about what you might see - the crew hardly spoke to us more than they had to.
We did wonder if it was because they knew we would not be carrying cash on CC, so knew there was little prospect of a tip.
Thanks for this. I agree and as we have 10 days running around the parks before the cruise we will be having plenty of relax time on the cruise. But I was thinking that we have 2 days at sea before any port calls, so may feel like getting off ship for a couple of hours... What I don't want to do, is get home and people say, did you not do this, that and other and think I have missed something. Thanks for the reply.
Old 28 Jan 11, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Unfortunately, on our Eastern cruise, we missed St Marteen - we were going to visit the beach where the planes come in really low so that you can almost touch them! Our cruise last Feb., sadly was victim to the ship getting stuck for an extra day at CC the cruise before... so consequently we only had 6 days instead of 7 .

If you are looking to do snorkelling its a shame your smallest is so wee, as this excursion was fantastic for the kids and adults on St Thomas !

stthomascruiseexcursions/...Snorkeling.htm

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 01:39 PM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 11, 02:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Whisky In A Va
Getting Excited

My youngest at 3 would not be going, but my daughter 8 would want to. Do you think she is to young for this excursion as it looks great.
Old 28 Jan 11, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Whisky In A Va View Post
My youngest at 3 would not be going, but my daughter 8 would want to. Do you think she is to young for this excursion as it looks great.
My DD was 8 last year (and small for her age) - kids ride with you, not on their own jet ski... she absolutely LOVED IT !

Its run from a small hotel on the island so you can get to use their pool, restaurant & changing facilities while you are there...the kids enjoyed the use of a "proper" pool afterwards, particularly as the ones on the ship are really just big bath tubs and get crowded.

The excursion was great fun - a great way to experience jetskis (much better than just going round in circles, as they say on their website ! ), a great way to see a bit more of the island, since its a 20 min journey to the hotel, and also the snorkelling was 100 x better than CC. We went along with a US family who recommended the excursion on our cruise meet on "the other" (U.S.) forum.
Not sure what the minimum age is -obviously it was fine for DD... and the jet skiing they will let you set your own pace and I thought they were very good at giving all the safety advice etc.(ie. we felt very confident in them).

Edited at 04:59 PM.
Old 28 Jan 11, 04:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread