Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone for your replies, but crikey there does seem a heck of a difference in time scales.
I think I'll have a look at the government website and give them a ring yo see what advice they can offer.
As an extra thing to sort, I'm currently trying to book an appointment at a driving centre as DVLA have asked for an assessment after we informed them that dad was not capable to drive. He still thinks he's a good driver but he can't even remember where he lives so hopefully he will fail the assessment and we can sell the car.
But trying to get hold of them to book him in is a nightmare. Last week, it was sorry but nobody is manning the phones due to annual leave, today it was, we are too busy phone back later, and just now it was we only man the phones Tuesday to Friday 9 til 3.30pm Might ask them for a job
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

My mother died in January 2015. I dealt with her estate myself it was reasonably simple but did involve a house. Probate was granted in the May. We lived in Essex, but instead of using the London office we used the one in Ipswich. I am sure we did this because the timescales were so much better.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I did the probate application for my Mum when she died. She had very little in the way of assets but because she had Premium Bonds it had to go to Probate. I downloaded the forms and collected all the paperwork and it was relatively simple once I started. Had to go to a court office to swear the details were true but a solicitor can do this for you.
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Saratoska
VIP Dibber

Saratoska's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

We are going through this with my mum who sadly died suddenly last September , probate is still ongoing
My neighbours dad died last February and still not finalised and his was quite straightforward

Saratoska is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Thanks again for your replies. This afternoon I emailed the probate office as there was a queue on the phone line. I was really impressed and I certainly didn't expect a reply the same day, but they replied about 10 minutes later.
They advised me which form I needed and that the current processing time is about 4-8 weeks as it is just a simple case with no property. But only time will tell how true that is.
All in all, quite impressed, so that may be a job for the weekend I think.
As for my dad and the driving issue... well he suddenly turned up at my house this afternoon (the first time he's driven in about 2 months). I think he frightened himself to death as he asked me to send the car back (he's forgotten he owns it outright, he thinks he leased it ). So thankfully no need for the driving assessment, which is great as I couldn't face the trauma of phoning them again
ansi41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Morty
Proud to wear my Ears

Dad and I kept meaning to do Mum’s after she passed away. My Dad then died suddenly before we had done Mum’s so I had to do the two at once. Thought this would be complicated but thought I would give it a go myself. The certificates came through a couple of weeks later. I didn’t have to do the declaration at a solicitors but not sure why. Whole thing was fairly straightforward once I had the right forms printed.
Morty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ansi41
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Morty View Post
Dad and I kept meaning to do Mum’s after she passed away. My Dad then died suddenly before we had done Mum’s so I had to do the two at once. Thought this would be complicated but thought I would give it a go myself. The certificates came through a couple of weeks later. I didn’t have to do the declaration at a solicitors but not sure why. Whole thing was fairly straightforward once I had the right forms printed.
Crikey that was quick, maybe it's not such a problem to just leave mums accounts alone, at least for now.
Thanks for that x