Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 May 19, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I think it can be difficult for some very old people whose formative years were just after WW2 where they, or their parents had fought for the freedom of their country.
They now see their country has many different nationalities who have “ moved in “ since then, and find it difficult to accept, especially if they had lost loved ones during that conflict. I’m not saying it’s right, but you can see why they say such things.
It’s the way they were brought up that possibly makes them what they are nowadays.
Me? I love all the cultural integration we have nowadays, but can understand how some of these real oldies feel.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
laurac1988
Imagineer

I'm terrible, because I'd just be like "suit yourself then".
laurac1988 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

I work in a hospital, and if we hear a patient being like this we challenge it and record it in the notes. In the case of racist abuse, a patient can be yellow carded or even red carded (means they cannot come to the hospital unless in the direst emergency).

Having said that, demented patients generally get a bit of a free pass - however mild dementia will not be an excuse.
Old 27 May 19, 06:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by returnplanning View Post
I
Having said that, demented patients generally get a bit of a free pass - however mild dementia will not be an excuse.
How do staff make the call whether ‘mild dementia’ has triggered such behaviour? I’m not having a go, just curious.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I work in a Hospital and have frequent interaction with the elderly patients. Being in the Hospital Security team, I frequently get called to aggression displayed within the eldercare wards by those patients. We also interact with others on the wards as we seek to reassure them whilst dealing with the ‘job in hand’, often remaining beyond closure of the incident that we have responded to.

Within our hospital are a considerable number of Afro Caribbean, African and Asian Carers, Nurses and Doctors. Some of the comments made are dismissive, unpleasant and downright racist in nature. We also see numerous instances of Misogyny.

The generally accepted viewpoint of staff is that the time has passed when these people can be reasonably educated as to the hurt and anguish that such unpleasantness than cause. They come from a different, earlier generation where the likes of Jim Davidson, Bernard Manning and others were lauded for what would now be called totally unacceptable remarks. The staff are in my opinion, hardened to this, bear no grudge and simply remain professional. Some people simply know no better , were taught no different and in any case, have barely left Cornwall during their lives, having therefore seen few people of Ethnic Diversity, yet alone had to interact with them.

It was similar in my former career as a Police Officer (until retirement) , I was called some simply revolting things as a result of having simply been called by others to incidents of those unpleasant halfwits own making. I frequently dealt with ill educated, drunk, drugged, dullards and Martians, simply remaining professional and dealing with the job in hand.
An incredibly professional and tolerant attitude from your colleagues, suffering abuse whilst caring for the abuser.

It is sad to believe that such attitudes are so embedded that nothing can change them.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

I work with older adults as a MH nurse and we get this all... the... time! Most of the staff are actually used to it and take it very well, but really they shouldn’t have to. I tend to have a quiet word with the patient and just say it’s not acceptable and the staff are working hard to help them. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn’t. I always apologise to the staff member and make sure they are okay too.
Princess Ariel is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
londondisney
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

I've worked in care for over 30 years with adults with learning disabilities and have been called lots of things I wouldn't care to repeat, lol. Sadly not always by the clients, who may not know any better, but by their parents too. As others have said, you just have to be professional at all times and remember that you will go home at the end of your shift.
Old 27 May 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I've noticed this generational racism a lot recently. My FIL wouldn't say he was racist but quite openly uses the word '≈≈≈≈' which most of us know is unacceptable. My mum is not racist but has very narrow views about certain things. She is also very judgemental about gays. I think a lot of it is just down to ignorance rather than deliberate racism.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I never get into racism based arguments because you will never win against someone with such narrow minded views. I have a lot of Muslim friends due to the area where we live so I can get quite defensive but generally keep quiet as it's not worth it.
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

How is the Muslim lady, does she know, I really hope she is alright? Elderly people don't suddenly become racists they've always been like that and with age they lose their inhibitions a bit and say stuff without a thought or care.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List