Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 May 19, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Racism is offensive and should be challenged. I’d refuse to work with her if she insisted on doing it in front me me. Not sure age has anything to do with it. My grandma and grandad died 20 and 30 years ago and lived in The same very small completely white town their whole lives. They wouldn’t have tolerated hearing racist language without challenging it then. Your colleague certainly isn’t paid to tolerate that.

Your original post said the resident doesn’t have dementia. So the duty of care comments confuse me. She’s an adult making choices. Duty of care doesn’t mean hearing abuse from someone with a choice is a requirement.

Edited at 10:10 PM.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Will the manager react to this report to ensure this elderly lady is receiving due care and being monitored to confirm she is eating properly ?
Your primary concern, and that of management must be to look after 'residents'.
Your post, and some replies in this thread are extremely concerning.
Hopefully you can assure us her care is in safe hands.
Why is my post concerning? I mentioned that she’s missed 1 meal and you think that care is not being given properly?

I can’t be held responsible for the replies
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
It is a balance between staff and patients, an employer has a duty of care to staff as well.
Yes a balance is essential.
The original post, and many comments make no reference to any concern the elderly lady is eating properly.
I'm sure that is not the case and is not a deliberate representation of the situation.
There is so much evidence of elderly people, and other vulnerable groups being neglected or mistreated when in residential care homes, and other care circumstances, that highlighting any concerns are now essential.
BBC Panorama is investigating this tonight.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

I think when dealing with people that are elderly and being racist ,if its mildly racist i would try to ignore however from some the language is extreme and unless the person is confused i would no longer assist them ...
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
*jovi_girl*
Imagineer

Mobile

Yes a balance is essential.
The original post, and many comments make no reference to any concern the elderly lady is eating properly.
I'm sure that is not the case and is not a deliberate representation of the situation.
There is so much evidence of elderly people, and other vulnerable groups being neglected or mistreated when in residential care homes, and other care circumstances, that highlighting any concerns are now essential.
BBC Panorama is investigating this tonight.
My resident is certainly not neglected and my level of care and that of the Muslim lady did not change on the basis of those comments.
The other carer was a youngish girl and when I mentioned what had been said she just laughed it off.

I might not be the nicest person in the world but I go above and beyond for my residents.
Just tonight I stayed an extra 90 mins because one of them is dying and has no family and I didn’t want to leave him. I held his hand, stroked his head, sang a hymn to him because I know he is religious and used to go to church. He was alive when I left him but might not be by morning but I’ve accepted that. We were very good friends and every day I told him I loved him because he has no one else to tell him that and everyone deserves to hear that they’re loved.
I would do anything for my residents and in no way neglect them in the slightest.
*jovi_girl* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
I think when dealing with people that are elderly and being racist ,if its mildly racist i would try to ignore however from some the language is extreme and unless the person is confused i would no longer assist them ...
Mildly racist

?
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Will the manager react to this report to ensure this elderly lady is receiving due care and being monitored to confirm she is eating properly ?
Your primary concern, and that of management must be to look after 'residents'.
Your post, and some replies in this thread are extremely concerning.
Hopefully you can assure us her care is in safe hands.
Actually, the management also have a duty of care to their employees, not to expose them to racist abuse in their job. A duty of care to your residents does not give them carte blanche to abuse staff.

A report has been made, they know that she has not eaten one meal. Unless they deliberately make sure that the Muslim lady serves her every meal, thern this is the patient's choice
Old 27 May 19, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

Originally Posted by missy E View Post
My Dad has Dementia & is now in a care home. Sadly at times he can be aggressive/shouty and has been known to throw insults about, occasionally racial towards staff he has taken a dislike to for no apparent reason.
My Dad in his life before his illness was never racist. His late partner of 20 years had grown up mixed race children who he treated as family, and still does.
He is not the man he was & fortunately the staff understand its the condition, not the man talking.

Yes but even in mild dementia depending on the part of the brain affected, can cause such behavior.

They can't help it, like severe dementia patients. They are ill and must be treated as such.
Dementia is dementia regardless if it's severe or mild.
You can't excuse one and not the other.

With respect, dementia does not automatically give a free pass. People with cognitive impairment can be found criminally liable, or responsible in other ways.
Old 27 May 19, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Dementia is not a lifestyle choice, it’s a dreadful disease that requires understanding and professional care. Compassion seems to be in short supply in this thread.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 19, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
honeybun1989
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Dementia is not a lifestyle choice, it’s a dreadful disease that requires understanding and professional care. Compassion seems to be in short supply in this thread.
I agree! My mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia less than 2 weeks ago and it’s upsetting reading some of the responses!
honeybun1989 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List