Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Feb 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I was going to clubs until 2-3am in London from the age of 14 back in the 80’s 😳
By 16, I was working full time & out until 3am every Friday night/Saturday morning & up by 7am to go to work in a bank!
As others say, no mobile phones but different times back then.

Edited at 10:35 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Yes I know what you mean, my Dd is nearly 17 and since starting 6th form has started going to parties. I’ve dropped her and a friend at one tonight 45 minutes away in the middle of nowhere (we are in a rural area) and she’s staying the night.
Fortunately her and her friend don’t drink and I think everyone will be from school but it’s still worrying, I’m dreading her going clubbing but it’s not far off!
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:09 PM  
Link to this Post
JessBlu
Imagineer

Mobile

She will be fine, get her a glass of water and a paracetamol for when she gets in and hopes she shares hers kebab with you.

Them were the days !
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My son is off clubbing tonight . He hasn’t even got ready yet to go out! They never hit a club until after midnight and they often come home around 5am. They always make sure they share a taxi . I used to stay up but don’t now. He’s at uni and was going to move out so I would have no control over what he did so we knew we would have to let go when he decided to commute , just like our parents did with us . They are much safer now than We ever were . X
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Feb 20, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by smoggy123 View Post
Oh God I feel like such a hypocrite for writing this when I think back to when I was her age ( in fact I was clubbing at 16/17 back in the 80s) but how on earth do I cope with my daughter going out to nightclubs?!

She's off out tonight and I know I will be watching the clock til she's home. She may be 18 but she's a 5ft 2 dot and looks about 12 with no make up on, maybe 15/16 at the most when she's made up.

If I'm not worrying about her drink getting spiked I'm worrying about her getting a taxi home. She's a sensible girl but the area she's going out in isn't great ( like most town centre's now unfortunately)
She has anxiety so I am not letting her know how I feel and am playing it cool as I don't want to spoil her fun, but please someone tell me this get's easier Life was so much easier when she just wanted to curl up on the sofa with me planning a Disney trip and watching Disney vlogs
I don't think the worry ever goes away tbh; I know I still worry when my boys are out and they are both in their 20's. That said, they are sensible and I know most of their friends and they look out for each other so no one is getting taxis home on their own. I am their back up plan if they can't get a taxi home and I've been out a couple of times to pick them up, and other parents have done the same.

There isn't much else you can do - you have to let her go and become a little 'streetwise'. I was also a teenager in the 80's and starting going to clubs when I was 16 - The Mall in Stockton on Tees anyone? But here's the thing, my parents had no idea where I was because my Dad would have gone ballistic so I didn't tell them. I told them I was going to the flicks every Friday with a friend and staying at hers and, very conveniently, my friend didn't have a phone (house phone I mean ). I shudder to think if something awful had happened what it would have done to them. When I think back, there were dangers we had to be wary of, drunks, fights, even drug taking - I remember being in Annabelles in Sunderland on two occasions when it was raided for drugs - but we kept well away from anything like that and on balance the vast majority of people we met were just out to have fun and I felt safe.

I won't tell you not to worry, but if you're going to stay awake till she's home I'd settle down with a good book or a podcast to help take your mind off thinking of the worst case scenarios.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:39 AM  
Link to this Post
themeparksandy
Imagineer

I think that’s why pubs are closing as the youth now meet up at each other’s houses take bottles/cans of supermarket alcohol and listen to music to half 11/12 then get a taxi straight to a late bar with music or a club.
themeparksandy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

I feel your pain - my DD was 18 last Monday
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

I'm a child of the early sixties and being an August birthday was still only 15 on leaving school. I went on holiday to Blackpool with friends at that age and went clubbing! We walked back along the beach at 2am to our digs. No way could a bunch of 15/16 year olds stay in a B&B these days.

Even though our lot are well grown up if they are staying at ours and out for the night I always listen for them coming in. Mind the 32 and the 30 year old are becoming proper light weights and prefer the gym and an early night 😁
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Mine come and go as they please at weekends now.

stay here til 10, then round a mate's to have a few "pre" drinks, then midnight out to a club, then 5am McDonald's breakfast, home by 6... I am NOT staying up!

Tenner in the bra, tenner in the back of the phone, old shoes for clubbing, cheap hoody to go in the cloakroom - they have it all planned out.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List