Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 18 May 19, 08:13 PM  
Link to this Post
11tallie
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Should I choose Portofino or Royal Pacific

Thank you
11tallie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We have stayed at both and love them both so generally just go with whatever the deal is we are prepared to pay. There are pros and cons but both are nice hotels. Easier to walk to parks from Royal Pacific then Portofino if you miss a boat or its busy- so that is useful. We never used any of the restaurants at RP but have eaten at PB and food has always been great. Sorry not an answer - we struggle to decide each trip too.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Gabsnoot
Imagineer

We really loved staying at both.

Royal Pacific is a bit closer to parks if you are walking but the bed we had at Portofino Bay was like sleeping on a cloud

We are staying again next year and for us it will come down to price as we are happy to stay at either.
Gabsnoot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sunshinekid
slightly serious Dibber

We spent last summer at Royal Pacific and it was lovely. Great size rooms, clean and lovely food.
I’ve not stayed at Portofino but i think we’d book that if we go back to Universal as the pool depth at Royal Pacific wasn’t great and our daughter loves swimming.
Sunshinekid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MFras23
Imagineer

MFras23's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 20
Guidebook Reviews: 15
Mobile

Portofino every time. Feels more immersive than royal Pacific and it has that touch extra luxury. We won’t stay anywhere else at universal now!
Old 18 May 19, 11:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Unexpectedpenny
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve stayed at both and I love them both! We walked back to Portofino when it was raining and I expected it to take ages from what I’d read before but it’s really not that much longer than walking to RPR. Even in the rain it’s a nice walk along the river.
The rooms are a bit bigger at PB. There’s only the 2 of us so that doesn’t matter for us but if you’re a bigger group you might like having a bit more room.
You won’t go wrong with either so I’d pick whichever theming/price you prefer!
Unexpectedpenny is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Lou1982
VIP Dibber

Lou1982's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 22
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We’ve stayed at both and loved both for different reasons. For me I think it would depend on who was in your travel party. My children liked royal Pacific better and it definitely did feel like a shorter walk from the parks, especially islands of adventure. If it was just adults I’d go for portofino I think as it does feel a bit more luxurious. We loved th opera singers on the piazza at Portofino Bay
Lou1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 12:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Maindrain
Trainee Dibber

Stayed at both as well, Portofino for me every time. I really enjoy the theming, the view over the bay is lovely, and the whole decor seems nicer to me.

Multiple trips since 1991, and EuroDisney just the once!
OK, I like Florida.
Maindrain is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 04:11 AM  
Link to this Post

We have stayed at both. We had a regular bay view room at Portofino and a suite at RPR but although we had more room at RPR due to room type, I believe that comparing regular room to regular room, Portofino will provide a lot more space.

We liked the room and large bathroom at Portofino but we had a number of service issues and found the staff unpleasant. We walked back to the hotel from the parks a couple of times, but didn’t want to walk to the park and get all hot before even starting our day. On the other hand we walked to the parks, there and back, twice a day every day from RPR.

So there is no debate for us, based primarily on location, we would only consider RPR for future trips.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 19, 06:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I've stayed at both and think PB is nicer-larger rooms, more luxurious and quieter. DD had a birthday the day we arrived so we were upgraded in terms of room size and location. Also she had treats sent to the room by reception.

Once we had a RPR room that overlooked the park-loved sitting in the room and looking out at the hulk. We had very good service, here, too.

If price were the same, PB for size.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List