Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Dec 19, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Anyone with recent experience of the LHR - LGW connection

I have seen flights with a 3hr 35 min connection

I presume you have to collect bags and get a transfer (which says 51 mins online)

Is it me or does this seem too tight ... What happens if you miss the MCO flight due to traffic or delayed baggage?

Any recent experiences would be great

Thanks in advance
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We did it in March we had a4 hour connection
It was tight and we had no bags private transfer and checked in on line
Printed boarding passes etc it was security at Gatwick that was the killer it took nearly 40 mins
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I did this end October, with a 6 hour time interval between the two flights - arriving at Heathrow around 5.30am and departing from Gatwick around 11.40am.

Flight landed at Heathrow right on time around 5.30am. Immigration (this was a long haul international flight) was very quick. However there was a massive delay with them getting checked bags from the plane to the belt (to the point that there were announcements apologising for that and they brought out snacks for people waiting), and I only walked out of the baggage claim area with my bags around 7.30am.

I got on an 8.10am National Express coach to Gatwick and got to Gatwick around 9.10am. Bag check fairly quick (as already had boarding passes) and security pretty fast when I went through, probably got past security around 10am or so.

So in total - it took me around 4-4.5 hours to get from plane landing at Heathrow to past security at Gatwick. Made me very glad I had 6 hours for the transfer... Admittedly most of this was due to the disaster with baggage reclaim at Heathrow though, and I've done this transfer in the past in much less time.
Old 14 Dec 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Thanks both ..the connection time does seem short...it feels like a hassle to have to transfer from one airport to another but will definitely avoid such a short connection.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by 3disneykids View Post
Thanks both ..the connection time does seem short...it feels like a hassle to have to transfer from one airport to another but will definitely avoid such a short connection.
when looking also worth putting in the multicity option and have the first leg the night before, and then stay the night at gatwick. This allows you to remove the 'fear' factor from the outward flight.

Still tends to show prices about the same, but with the overnight stop.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
when looking also worth putting in the multicity option and have the first leg the night before, and then stay the night at gatwick. This allows you to remove the 'fear' factor from the outward flight.

Still tends to show prices about the same, but with the overnight stop.
Thanks for the tip will look into that option
Old 14 Dec 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

On the way out I would only do it the night before. On the return it’s not such a disaster if you miss your final flight home. We did it with about 5 hours and didn’t have much time to spare.

We now look for indirects form Heathrow but it does mean 3 flights. But no airport change.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Dec 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
On the way out I would only do it the night before. On the return it’s not such a disaster if you miss your final flight home. We did it with about 5 hours and didn’t have much time to spare.

We now look for indirects form Heathrow but it does mean 3 flights. But no airport change.
Interesting way to put it ... I guess the effort of getting from LHR to LGW is the same as a second stop in effort... Deciding what to do is sooo difficult especially as the flights are so expensive compared to what I have paid previously for direct.
Old 14 Dec 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandraoh40
VIP Dibber

We had to do this on the return flight in October due to the TC issue. We had 4 hrs on the way home but we were about 30 mins late. On top of this our driver as about another 30 mins late , leaving us 3 hours. This ended up being loads of time. We used blackberry cars. There were 8 of us and we had 2 cars booked. One was waiting and ours was late. But we still had plenty of time.
I have to say though that if it wasn’t for the fact we really had no other choice, it’s not the way I would go again.
Sandraoh40 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Dec 19, 12:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesses 3
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I’ve done this many times with about a 3.30 stopover. We’ve never had any problem but I do usually feel quite stressed. Last time I booked priority security at Gatwick as it was only a few pounds but it wasn’t necessary really. If I do this again though I will go the night before to remove any stress
Princesses 3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List