Notices

Old 27 Dec 16, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

A Fairytale in New York Christmas 2016 - Day 5 Highline, 9/11 Memorial and Shopping

The day started off as usual - showers, breakfast (the nice lady in the breakfast area keeps me back the cinnamon bagels ) and we were ready by about 9am.

First destination was the Highline - unfortunately no website or map had updated itself to say there was a new subway station 200m away. So we got off at 34th St and walked a far few blocks past Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens. The plus side to this was that we saw an Aeropostale shop that was closing down. Mainly ladies so F got 4 t-shirts with 80% off!

There is a lot of development in this area. The tracks below will soon be covered by a building.

Whilst the weather was grey, it was dry and it was interesting to see where the once railway line had gone.

DH and I enjoyed reading about the creation of the park.

The buildings were different than in other parts - it seemed quieter and more spacious.

Loved the car stacking concept - though we couldn't work out how you got the cars in and out (especially if you were in a rush! )

The walk took is about an hour - the kids were not so impressed but the adults like it so a 50% success rate.

We went into Chelsea market - a bit too busy. It seemed to have changed since I was last here 20 months ago.

Loved the halva cakes!

We decided to have an early lunch as the kids were peckish.

I had found a diner online that looked like it would fit the bill.

J had mac'n'cheese, O fish and chips, F a veggie burger and me a veggie chilli. It came to $65 including tip.

We hoped on the subway down to the One World Tower area. There are lots of ticket touts here.

We went to the Memorial Gardens - F found this quite difficult. She knows all about 9/11 but at 12 years ild found it a difficult concept to imagine why someone would do that.

We then went into the new Westfield shopping mall. Structurally it is very impressive inside and out.

Personally, the shops were a bit too high and and it wasn't the easiest place to navigate.

We visited Century 21 - F got slippers and J some shoes. You really have to be prepared here to rummage.

After we went to a Whole Foods - salmon, rice, salads and a veggie curry were acquired to have for dinner!

We then braved Times Square - it was heaving. We went onto the Uniqlo store but it was tiny. I don't think we will be going back at night again.

We got the subway back - no success in our favourite subway game of find the rat!

Back at the hotel we soon crashed.

Numbers of the day:
23,399 steps (over 18km)
5 subway rides.

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 27 Dec 16 12:01 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 16, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another good day

Joan
Old 28 Dec 16, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Interesting parking concept, did you workout how they parked yet, or got out? Another really interesting day.
Old 28 Dec 16, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another good day

Joan
Thanks joan

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Interesting parking concept, did you workout how they parked yet, or got out? Another really interesting day.
We have seen a few of them but still none the wiser

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 16, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
I love the Highline, but can understand why children don't get it.

I hadn't heard about the Westfield mall. It looks very swish.

Really don't like Times Square - I enjoy looking at it from a distance at night, but can't bear being in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's just far too busy for me.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Dec 16, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We were amazed too the first time we saw the stackable parking . Love the Highline & Chelsea Market, shame Times Square was so busy.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Find the rat! Ha ha! Great game.
Seems odd to have a westfields in New york, didnt even know that had happened. Love a rummage at century 21. The memorial wasnt built when we last went, but we went into the little church nearby which was very humbling.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
I love the Highline, but can understand why children don't get it.

I hadn't heard about the Westfield mall. It looks very swish.

Really don't like Times Square - I enjoy looking at it from a distance at night, but can't bear being in the middle of the hustle and bustle. It's just far too busy for me.
I think was Mall has only recently opened!

O commented tgat the Highline looked a lot better in summer when he saw some other photos!

Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
We were amazed too the first time we saw the stackable parking . Love the Highline & Chelsea Market, shame Times Square was so busy.
I think it is pretty always busy at Christmas!

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Find the rat! Ha ha! Great game.
Seems odd to have a westfields in New york, didnt even know that had happened. Love a rummage at century 21. The memorial wasnt built when we last went, but we went into the little church nearby which was very humbling.
Love a rat game

I think you can find some great things in C21 if you are in the mood!

Index of my trip reports
Old 28 Oct 18, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Looking forward to highline.
Memorial garden is a must for me to visit but undecided on how to handle the conversation with my 11 year old😓
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List