Notices

Old 26 Jul 17, 02:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario and Quebec 2017: Day 1 - Travel Day

It was a leisurely start to the day as the flight didn't leave until midday and we only live 20 minutes from the airport.

Breakfast was a fridge clear out - beans on toast for F, french toast for O, omelette for J and just toast for me!

By 9 am all was ready and we left via the post office to post the necessary paperwork to add O to my car insurance as he passed his accompanied driving course yesterday

We had our passports checked before check in - they asked if we had the ETA but seemed to have no visible way of verifying it!

After check in we went through security and passport control and before we knew it we were boarding with an on time take off!

The flight was fine - busy as expected!

Food was minimal - we took snacks which helped. There were no seatback screen but an app which seemed to work well. I read.

A second snack was bought round an hour before landing - a pizza type thing which the kids liked!

We landed 15 minutes early. We walked upto the immigration officer and were through 2 minutes later. The bags took a while but they did all come

We had to take a shuttle bus to the car hire place but were in the car within 15 minutes. We have a blue Santa Fe - a few scratches and bumps - which we had to get added to the damage list!

By 3.45 we were en route for Ottawa!

After a few false turns (thanks to the gps being slow to tell us when to turn) we were soon on the right road for Ottawa. Whilst it was busy in Montreal the traffic soon went down to a trickle!

Two hours later we were at our destination

The owner was there to meet us. The apartment is lovely- clean, spacious and very well located!

We went out very soon after to find some dinner. We are a 10 minute walk from Byward Market - a bustling market and restaurant area!

For ease we chose The King Eddy - a diner.

J and I had a veggie burger, F grilled cheese and O had fish and chips. J also had a beer.

It filled a hole

The bill came to C$68 plus tip.

Next stop was a much anticipated visit to Chapters - a book shop that also had an American Girl Doll concessionary. F had bern waiting for this for months!

The staff were lovely! No purchases made (yet ) and we will be back!

We walked back to the apartment and have found the PJs and tooth brushes! The kids are now in bed having done remarkably well - it is almost 9.30pm - 3.30am in France!

I am next! It gas been a long day but we have got here in one piece!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 02:25 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 26 Jul 17 2:25 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 02:29 AM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A very smooth travel day. Have a fab holiday Mel.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

A good travel day. Glad all your luggage arrived
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Lovely travel day looking forward to reading more.
My youngest is American girl mad ... watches far too many you tube videos about them lol
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

All caught up on your last trip can't wait till I get my sunset photo fix! Your travel day went well and your apartment looks nice, I predict you will be parted with some money very soon! Hope you all have a great time...I'm excited to have a new morning update hope you eventually get a lie in!
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A good travel day - I love those long Canadian roads where there's so much less traffic. Glad all your luggage arrived with you. The accommodation looks lovely from the outside.
Old 26 Jul 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A very smooth travel day. Have a fab holiday Mel.
It was really nice to travel direct!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
A good travel day. Glad all your luggage arrived
I am always happy that the luggage arrives - as it seems to be a strong possibilty with us that it doesn't! At least travelling direct does reduce that risk I think!

Originally Posted by Megandllsmum View Post
Lovely travel day looking forward to reading more.
My youngest is American girl mad ... watches far too many you tube videos about them lol
I will PM you my DD's channel - she has 7 dolls all ebay! She wven maks all their clothes! Quite astonishing!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
All caught up on your last trip can't wait till I get my sunset photo fix! Your travel day went well and your apartment looks nice, I predict you will be parted with some money very soon! Hope you all have a great time...I'm excited to have a new morning update hope you eventually get a lie in!
Ahh - the lie in! I woke up at 5am! Actually not bad all things considered! As J slept in F's room (she came down a little out of sorts and asvthere are two big twins in there he volunteered to sleep in there (the double is our room is about 40cm less than at home so I think he had a good night's sleep opinion on changing rooms ) I have been productive though!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A good travel day - I love those long Canadian roads where there's so much less traffic. Glad all your luggage arrived with you. The accommodation looks lovely from the outside.
We hit gold with the accomodation- I looked for ages as I ideally wanted three beds and parking near Byward Market. This is perfect. It is spotlessly clean although a little dated but not in a bad way! And less than a hotel room! The owner even left us coffee, bagels, fruit, cream cheese, juice - fab service!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good travel day let the holiday begin

Joan
Old 26 Jul 17, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Hi Mel

Sounds like a very smooth travel day. Maybe not luxurious on the plane, but quick immigration and all luggage present and correct is worth it, isn't it? (Pizza snacks, too )

I love the large Canadian bookstores. Have you been to any (or all!) of the Indigo stores in Toronto? They encourage you to relax and enjoy the stores, as well as buy.

Is there a careful strategy for American Girl shopping? One which involves many visits and much relishing of the experience. (That display is a little Stepford scary, though!)

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside

Edited at 01:04 AM. Reason: Space bar issues!
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List