Notices

Old 2 Aug 17, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 8 - A Long Raft And Shopping

Another reasonable lie in - until 7.30am! It is becoming a habit!

The plan today was for the three rafters to raft down the river from Lake Dalhousie. I would taxi them there and then be back at the cabin to greet them!

The rings were so big that only one could get in the boot. The others we strapped to the roof which made for quite a bit of noise!

The lake was as lovely in the morning as it was at sunset last night!

It even had its own flock of Canadian geese!

F had forgotten her water shoes which caused some distress but we convinced her she would be okay. Everyone had rash vests as double protection from both the sun and the mosquitos!

And off they went. The river was slow moving but J had thought to bring a paddle which was a big help!

I then drove to Balderson Cheese Shop - a deli type shop. The Balderston cheese is quite famous in the area.

The shop was ok - it is also famed for its ice cream but I was disappointed to see it was just Nestle's! The cafe was nice - I had a maple butter tart which was lovely. I also bought an apple and cinnamon pie to bake at the cabin!

I got back - the internet which had stopped working this morning was still not working. I tried rebooting the router which no success!

So I read, took photos (frogs and flowers!) and had a good 10 minutes of talking to the resident squirrel. Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with my for the last part!

Still no sign of them after 3hours!

Then after three and a half hours they turned up! It had been a long and slow journey! The kids had enjoyed it - J a little less!

I made a late pasta lunch which was wolfed down!

Ee decided on a trip to the nearest Walmart - at least this one had fresh fruit and veggies unlike the one in Levis near Quebec City

We got some pens, post its, and some quinoa bars we liked!

Then into Tommy's for an iced coffee and an attempt to download some films! I also sent an email to the cabin owner re the internet.

F and I nipped also to Dollarama where we got some Aloe Vera as the legs had caught the sun.

Back at Tim's the owner had replied saying that there was a problem with the service provider and yo try to reboot both the router and the modem. Thankfully this did work!

The two American Girl dolls had cone with us too - both in outfits made by F!

After a dinner of veggie burgers and salad we drove out to a forest to see the lie of the land for a possible walk tomorrow. Looks good!

We also saw three deer and a fox! I love seeing all thus wildlife!

Back home, one last shot of the river at dusk before settling in for the night!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 2 Aug 17 3:00 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Glad you managed another lie in. Wow, that was some river trip. Bet they all slept well. Hope you enjoy the walk today
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A bit of an epic journey down the river for the other 3 and some quiet time for you and your new friend the squirrel. The wildlife photos are great as are your morning and dusk ones. A great day.
Old 2 Aug 17, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Fabulous trip for them coming down the river and a good bit of time for you to relax and read. Beautiful photos.
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 17, 09:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That sounds like a good trip on the river

Joan
Old 2 Aug 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Glad you managed another lie in. Wow, that was some river trip. Bet they all slept well. Hope you enjoy the walk today
We all slept well - even me who didn't do it

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A bit of an epic journey down the river for the other 3 and some quiet time for you and your new friend the squirrel. The wildlife photos are great as are your morning and dusk ones. A great day.
I have a new camera so am enjoying experimenting! There are literally hundreds of frogs so they are easy to find and photograph. Hoping the squirrel cooperates again at some point!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Fabulous trip for them coming down the river and a good bit of time for you to relax and read. Beautiful photos.
Thank you! I think the rapids will be on the agenda this afternoon!

Originally Posted by mick View Post
That sounds like a good trip on the river

Joan
It was a long trip A bit faster would have been appreciated by the paddler

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Sounds like a long trip for the rafters but good fun. Nice to check out more places in the area too. Thanks heavens internet fixed as well ..
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 01:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Sounds like a long trip for the rafters but good fun. Nice to check out more places in the area too. Thanks heavens internet fixed as well ..
The internet has been problematic all week - not good with teens as you know

The area is really nice - though probably the scenery isn't as spectacular as some areas we have been to!

Index of my trip reports
Old 5 Aug 17, 03:24 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Another good day. Shame about the internet. Some lovely pictures.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List