Notices

Old 1 Jan 18, 05:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 9 San Diego - Shopping and Beach

Whilst I was awake at 5.30am, the others didn't wake up until about 7am! We had our usual breakfast! Creatures of habit!

F asked if we could go shopping - Fashion Valley Mall seemed the closest!

It took about 15 minutes to drive there. We arrived at 10am - which is when they opened!

We seemed to have arrived at the posh end - all those shops that we have zero interest in

The kids did well - F found 3 hoodies in Pink and Hollister, two track pants and a pair of jeans. O found three t-shirts in Hollister.

Me - as usual - nothing. I am such a bad shopper!

We weren't that impressed with the mall! But we are picky

We headed back to Pacific Beach to eat - Chipostle was the restaurant of choice. Three of us had veggie burritos. They were delicious but difficult to eat!

F had a cheese quesadilla but she didn't like it so got some tortilla chips and guacamole. Total cost was about $30.

We headed then to an ice cream shop - they did flights of ice cream cones which seemed fun! But we had sundaes. I had a Christmas mint oreo ice cream one. It was lovely but filling!

As the Goodwill shop was next door we went in. You often see Goodwill stores selling American Girl dolls on eBay.

To F's amazement they had a retired AG horse - Picasso. For the princely sum of $6. We bought it!

We have since looked online and they go on eBay for about $80-300 Goodness knows how we will get it home though!

We then headed down to the beach. It was a lot busier today in PB - lots of sports bars were full with American Football being the crowd puller. And,of course, it was new Year's Eve!

The fish went down onto the beach to body board and I went on the pier.

There are actually cottages on the pier - the inhabitants can even drive their cars to outside their cottage - though goodness knows how you turn the car around! Cool place to stay though!

There were Christmas wreaths all long the sides of the pier. All advertising something

There were quite a lot of people fishing at the end of the pier. Not sure they were catching anything or just getting away from their other halfs!

The three body boarders surfed until about 5pm. The kids are loving this! It was such the right decision to book somewhere near the beach. J likes the beach as he feels it is safe in terms of undercurrents!

They were pretty much the last ones in the water as usual!

Back at the apartment showers were had.

Dinner was scrambled egg on toast (we live such s highlife )

We then headed out to Starbucks for a hot chocolate followed by a visit to CVS where we got hair colour spray, face masks, half price chocolate for J's office (my lot hate American chocolate do I don't bother ) and some oil for J's beard!

Back in, Harry Potter is on and I can't see us making midnight!

Happy New Year!

Edited at 06:16 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 06:13 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 1 Jan 18 5:13 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 10:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day

Happy New Year to you all. 🎉 🎉

Joan
Old 1 Jan 18, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Happy New Year. I love all the wreaths along the pier-very festive! I hope F gets Picasso home, your good packers so I'm sure you'll find the right bag, ha ha.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Happy New Year - another fab day - and a truly bargainous pony purchase there !
The pier looks so pretty with the little houses and the wreaths - really unusual
More time at the beach - they really are fish !
I am not a veggie but I could eat that burrito right now - it looks bursting with deliciousness !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 18, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Happy New Year. Thanks for posting trip.
Old 2 Jan 18, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A very happy New Year to you and your lovely family. The Pier is so festive looking.
Old 7 Jan 18, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Happy New Year to you all !

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day

Happy New Year to you all. 🎉 🎉

Joan
I think all the days were good ones - much better than being in work

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Happy New Year. I love all the wreaths along the pier-very festive! I hope F gets Picasso home, your good packers so I'm sure you'll find the right bag, ha ha.
Picasso got home in one piece! Very handy that extra bag

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Happy New Year - another fab day - and a truly bargainous pony purchase there !
The pier looks so pretty with the little houses and the wreaths - really unusual
More time at the beach - they really are fish !
I am not a veggie but I could eat that burrito right now - it looks bursting with deliciousness !
We loved the burritos - though their bowls were also yummy!

The beach was such a hit that we have re-evaluated a little the New England trip!

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Happy New Year. Thanks for posting trip.
And thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A very happy New Year to you and your lovely family. The Pier is so festive looking.
The pier was lovely! I loved the fact you could stay in a cottage on there - I imagine it gets booked up very quicky!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
Loving the cottages on the pier - it would be such a unique place to stay.

I don’t blame you for having scrambled egg on toast for dinner. I get fed up of eating out on holiday and often crave something simple, so staying somewhere with cooking facilities allows me that option if I so wish. I thought I was the only one, so it’s nice to see that I’m not.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
Loving the cottages on the pier - it would be such a unique place to stay.

I don’t blame you for having scrambled egg on toast for dinner. I get fed up of eating out on holiday and often crave something simple, so staying somewhere with cooking facilities allows me that option if I so wish. I thought I was the only one, so it’s nice to see that I’m not.
It would - I think they are only bookable direct! I imagine it isn’t easy to get one!

We cannot manage eating out three times a day! I don't mind cooking simple things! Plus I like visiting the supermarkets

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg