Notices

Old 3 Apr 17, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Dubai March/April 2017 LIVE - Day 4 - A Dhow Trip In Oman

The day started early - 5.30am early!

We were downstairs at 6am and picked up our breakfast bag from reception - croissants and fruit.

The mini bus arrived on time - he had one more pick up to do but not in Dubai!

We ate breakfast and watched the sun come up over the desert! Lots of camels around but never when I had the camera ready!

The other couple were picked up in Ras Al Khaimah - about 90km from Dubai! We never got to understand what the attraction was there!

With a petrol stop and then the border control (stamped out of UAE and into Oman) we eventually arrived at the boat at 9.30ish.

The boat was skippered by a Jack Sparrow lookalike. Even down to his beard.

We had to wait for the last three people - meaning there would only be 9 of us on a boat that could easily fit 30 or 40!

We looked at the catch from the next boat ...

including some tuna!

A very sweet tea was served while we waited! The three people arrived about 9.50 and we were off by 10!

The landscape was so different - rocky mountains. This area is known as the Onan Fjords! It was spectacular but so very remote!

The first highlight were the dolphins - a pod of 5 or 6 of them swimming between the boats!

We were lucky in that our skipper stayed around far longer so we had ample chance of seeing them! What wonderful creatures they are - my photos don't do them justice!

Just one more

There were odd villages dotted around. Each one had 50-100 inhabitants and their only way of getting to the shops, school, doctors etc was by boat!

It was then time to go for the first snorkel! It was mainly sea urchins and a few fish!

That's me - O walked up the hill to see what was there!

I do exist The water was incredibly salty! But at least we floated easily!

There were a few boats from different tours but it never felt busy or even touristy!

Lunch was served - the crew of 3 did an amazing job of keeping us watered (or sodaed or juiced! ).

Lunch included a spicy veg stew, tuna, rice, salad, pittas and humous! It was delicious!

The boat started up again and we hit a very green area! We went in again! How could we not!

With a bit of outside help (aka uneaten pittas!) we saw lots of fish! This was a first for three of us (I had only ever snorkelled once before in Florida with the manatees!)

Some of the fish were quite big!

A lot of jumping in was involved - my family love this and got most people involved - except me! I don't like going underwater...

We made our way back to Khasab. This is fish face rock! Very realistic!

The journey back took about an hour. J and F napped!

The drive back was just as long! Two more border controls and stamps in our passports - 4 for the day!

We got back at about 6.45pm - exhausted but having thoroughly enjoyed our day!

We were in time for canapés - asian night tonight! As lovely as usual - and saved us from having to go out again

We are all tired - not sure of our plans for tomorrow but no early get up

Edited at 06:51 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 3 Apr 17 6:43 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Bear
VIP Dibber

Oh wow, what a lovely boat trip, think i'll have to add that one on to our list for next time we go. I can swim but not a strong swimmer and don't really like getting into the sea - will it be ok for me to stay on the boat?
Disney Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

The dolphins, the fish & such stunning scenery. What a fabulous day.
Hope you enjoy your well earned lie in tomorrow 😀
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 17, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
VIP Dibber

What an interesting day! Fun, too.

I had no idea what to expect from your Oman day. The landscape, the water, the dolphins, the fish ...beautiful. I think the village fascinates me the most, though; such a different existence from ours.

Food looked good, as well.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 03:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney Bear View Post
Oh wow, what a lovely boat trip, think i'll have to add that one on to our list for next time we go. I can swim but not a strong swimmer and don't really like getting into the sea - will it be ok for me to stay on the boat?
You could certainly stay here n the boat. There were life jackets too!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
The dolphins, the fish & such stunning scenery. What a fabulous day.
Hope you enjoy your well earned lie in tomorrow 😀
Well it is 6.45am and I have been awake an hour

It was such a lovely day!

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
What an interesting day! Fun, too.

I had no idea what to expect from your Oman day. The landscape, the water, the dolphins, the fish ...beautiful. I think the village fascinates me the most, though; such a different existence from ours.

Food looked good, as well.

Living in those villages must be so different to what we are used to! Such a contrast to Dubai too!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What a great day. My lads loved boat trips like this in Turkey .. That whole jumping off the boat thing, Eesh.
How lovely to see the Dolphins like that alongside the boat.
You must have been tired, all the water and sunshine.. And early start.
But lovely to have a boat almost to yourselves... Like a private charter!
Fab day.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Apr 17, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Oh Mel, what an amazing day, the dolphins and fish photos are fantastic.
Old 4 Apr 17, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Sounds like you all had a long but wonderful day

Joan
Old 4 Apr 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
charly77
Very Serious Dibber

Wow! What a lovely day...and the dolphins AMAZING!
charly77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List