Notices

Old 24 Jul 17, 08:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario and Quebec 2017: Pre-Trip Introductions

So here we are again -off to one of our favourite places - Canada!

I guess I should start with some introductions:
Me - Mel: I am a 48 year old training manager with a love of all things travel related! Thankfully my family humour me on this point!

J: my 50 year old DH. He works very hard to fund my hobby

O: our 15 year old DS who is a very lovely lad. He has a wicked sense of humour and is so nice to be around!

F: our 12 year old DD. She is an adorable girl and very loving. She is T1 diabetic - I add this because it does sometimes change how we do things but it never stops us doing anything!

The plans:
For the first time ever we are flying direct to Montreal. We are flying with Air Transat - an unknown quantity! I am currently waiting to check in as we haven't reserved our seats. To be honest as long as one of us is next to F I don't really mind!

We return 26 nights later! A day longer than usual but as they don't fly everyday we were somewhat dictated to as to length of stay!

They were a reasonable 500euros each!

Once at Montreal we will get our hire car (same place as last year!) and drive to Ottawa - a 2 hour drive.

We have booked 4 nights in an Airbnb near Byward Market. It has very good write ups! We are here for 4 nights.

Plans for Ottawa include cycle tour (not yet booked..), a visit to the Parliament and the evening light show, perhaps the aviation museum and some shopping! J has been before and doesn't remember it too fondly (a but dull) but there is plenty to keep us busy for three days.

Then we have a week booked in a cottage on a river with rapids! This is in Perth Ontario. The cottage looks lovely and is meters from the river. The river will be our main focus but I am also hopeful of meeting up with an old friend!

This is the river - the rapids are just a just further down. We have access to some canoes and have stocked up on rubber rings! Otters are apparently around too - fingers crossed!

Then comes the recent curve ball addition. O found a festival in Montreal with his favourite artiste (the weeknd). It also fell on his birthday. Now plans had already been made - so I said it wasn't really possible.

A few weeks ago - I had a change of plans. After some emails back and to to the organizers (about if the wrist bands would arrive in time) I booked as a joint 16/50 birthday present for O and J. (J did get other things! ) I asked the organizers if there was any way the tickets could be here before J's birthday. They were and I had a very excited 15 year old!

So next was accommodation. Not easy when there is a three day festival with 125000 people each day. I found an Airbnb in Laval at the end of the metro line (there is a station near the festival). While the boys are at the festival, the girls will shop.

Then we will head back the way came to western Quebec for the last 12 days at the cottage we stayed in 2 years ago. We lived it here. Lots of fishing for F (rod and net bought! ) Just lots of messing around!

The dock - we have a motor boat, a pedalo, a kayak and canoe available! Not everyone's cup of tea but we love it!

So the suitcases are packed- three between the four of us! Hopefully they will arrive with us (we don't have a good success rate but hopefully flying direct from a small airport will help!

My new travel bag! I live the colours! Not yet finished packing it though!

Now just to check in and I will feel more settled!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 24 Jul 17 9:28 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I'll follow with interest. We are just back from 2 weeks in Quebec. Fell in love with Quebec City, didn't feel the love for Montreal, though and 3 days there was too long. We also had a week at La Malbaie on the banks of the St Lawrence, and Justin Trudeau (and about 40 big burly security guards in 15 Cadillac Escalades) popped into our hotel to make an announcement about next year's G7.

We were puzzled that our French which gets us by perfectly well in France didn't cut it in Quebec. I think they understood us OK but we struggled to get what people were saying initially. Even a simple greeting at a hotel desk had us stumped. It really is a different kind of French me thinks. People were friendly though, and once they they saw our puzzled faces, they slowed down and we got by.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Hi Mel

I'm so excited for your trip, I've really loved your previous ones. 26 nights - that's amazing and your accommodation looks fab. Safe flight and I look forward to the next instalment.
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

I agree with you about Montreal - we have been twice before and whilst we have had fun I don't love it as much as the rest of Quebec!

We actually live in France so the kids are bilingual and both DH and I are fluent! And even the kids have problems at times understanding things!

Lucky you seeing Justin Trudeau - he comes across so well!

We loved being on the St Lawrence river - such an impressive body of water!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 17, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Hi Mel

I'm so excited for your trip, I've really loved your previous ones. 26 nights - that's amazing and your accommodation looks fab. Safe flight and I look forward to the next instalment.
Thanks Jackie I actually have an imposed 4 week holiday wvery year at this time (where I work closes down) so we just make the best of it! Can't complain.

Index of my trip reports
Old 24 Jul 17, 11:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

So we have checked in Moved the seats from the middle row to window row plus one in aisle in the middle row! Row 7 so good for getting off the plane!

I stress about doing this - getting all the details right! But it is done - just bag drop tomorrow! We have even pre-booked the carparking - at 40% off it was cheaper than taxis either way!

Now just the hand luggage to finish off!

Index of my trip reports
Old 24 Jul 17, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Glad you've got your seats sorted. Imposed 4 weeks off - well you just have to make the best/take advantage of that. I'm lucky that my employers will let me take 3 weeks off at a time, and for special occasions they will go up to 4, but I've only every done 4 weeks once and it was a long year waiting for the 4 weeks in Nov/Dec. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight before your flight tomorrow.

We're planning on heading back to Toronto next year, we just love the city.
Old 24 Jul 17, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Glad you've got your seats sorted. Imposed 4 weeks off - well you just have to make the best/take advantage of that. I'm lucky that my employers will let me take 3 weeks off at a time, and for special occasions they will go up to 4, but I've only every done 4 weeks once and it was a long year waiting for the 4 weeks in Nov/Dec. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight before your flight tomorrow.

We're planning on heading back to Toronto next year, we just love the city.
I have 6 weeks holiday plus I negotiated another 7 days unpaid leave when the kids were young. Now as they are older I often use these days to add on to bank holidays - I am known at work as the best holiday juggler going

Every year I say we will go elsewhere and then we end up in Quebec! I am going to Montreal in February too on a work trip - looking foward to experiencing the cold!

Index of my trip reports
Old 24 Jul 17, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Can't wait! Although, you're probably the most excited! You know I loved your last Canadian TR.

Have a fantastic time.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List