Notices

Old 4 Aug 17, 02:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario And Quebec 2017: Day 10 - Perth and a Long Rapids Run

I slept from 10pm until 7 am - a lot of sleep for me.

Everyone sorted out their own breakfasts (I have them well trained ) Mine was a maple bagel

We had a new visitor to the river - Mrs Duck and her ducklings!

As it was cloudy, we decided to head into Perth.

How to describe Perth...

It has a population of about 6,000. One of the main Ontarian trunk roads runs through the outskirts but there is a thriving town centre - lots of shops (craft, clothes, books being the main ones) together with lots of restaurants (high end to pubs to diners) and cafes (trendy coffee shop to old fashioned ones).

The biggest thing we noticed was the demographics - the population is very much over 60 - indeed it seems that the town markets itself as a great place to retire! It is actually mice to see a thriving older population enjoying life!

F and I went to the fabric shop where she chose 4 fabrics to buy for dolls clothes! The lady cutting the fabric also gave her some offcuts as after F explained she made dolls' clothes!

After we picked up the boys at one of the cafes, we went for a second visit to Canadian Tire as J wanted to look at the tools! Thankfully nothing was purchased

Back at the cabin I made tortilla pizzas followed by the rest of the apple pie! The others need the energy for the afternoon activity!

Yes - more rafting. After much scouting and map research, J decided it was viable to do the second part of the rapids run.

They all wore life jackets. The plan was yo do the first part from the cabin to the usual end point and then continue to a pre-arranged meet up point about 8km down the river in about 2 hours. J even drew a map of all the reference points which he said was most useful.

I tidied up and started sorting out the packing cubes as we move on on Saturday morning.

I drove down to the meet up point arriving about 1h45. The river is called the Mississippi but we have come to the conclusion that it isn't related to the US state!

I faffed around taking photos but eventually the call if nature became too strong (tmi? ) and I had to whizz back to the cabin.

Of course, by the time I had got back they were there and I was annoyed (at myself) for missing the photo opportunities!

That will be remedied tomorrow as they want to do it again - and F will take the waterproof camera too!

Back at the cabin we had a simple tea of beans on toast! Then off for our usual desert!

Oreo blizzard for me!

When we got back the kids retired to their room and J and I watched a bit of American football before heading to bed!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 02:54 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 4 Aug 17 2:54 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

Perth sounds like the ideal place to retire, wishful thinking!
Old 4 Aug 17, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Another great day, Perth sounds intriguing !
All caught up, hurrah. Looking forward to next day's adventures
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

I think I would be a bit reluctant to go in the ring down the river too but I'd be tempted to do the short run having watched all the fun for the past few days...then again maybe not after my near death experience in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon-I exaggerate greatly by the way but it felt like that in my moment of panic I look forward to your next move, are you back to the same cabin as last year?
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 02:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
Perth sounds like the ideal place to retire, wishful thinking!
It is so lovely to see such a happy retired population - it seems so very sociable!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Another great day, Perth sounds intriguing !
All caught up, hurrah. Looking forward to next day's adventures
You did well

Perth definitely is intriguing! It really is a lively town considering its remoteness!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
I think I would be a bit reluctant to go in the ring down the river too but I'd be tempted to do the short run having watched all the fun for the past few days...then again maybe not after my near death experience in the lazy river at Typhoon Lagoon-I exaggerate greatly by the way but it felt like that in my moment of panic I look forward to your next move, are you back to the same cabin as last year?
I haven't done the rings - a bit of a scardy cat! It is a shame that we needed a driver

Tomorrow is Montreal for a festival and then on Monday we are back to a cottage we stayed in 2 years ago! We loved it there - I just hope it meets up to our memories!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 03:36 AM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

Perth sounds like a nice place. One thing I found a bit strange when I came here was the amount of really older people driving...I am no spring chicken Maybe because we have no bus service to speak of here in town so people drive everywhere.
Lovely day and another new adventure tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing with you.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day, your family are enjoying messing about on the river

Joan
Old 6 Aug 17, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Perth sounds lovely. Glad they enjoyed the rapids run.
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
Perth sounds like a nice place. One thing I found a bit strange when I came here was the amount of really older people driving...I am no spring chicken Maybe because we have no bus service to speak of here in town so people drive everywhere.
Lovely day and another new adventure tomorrow. Looking forward to sharing with you.
I didn't think of the driving but you are right! Driving is easy over here (well except in the big cities! )

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day, your family are enjoying messing about on the river

Joan
You know us - give us water and we will have fun

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Perth sounds lovely. Glad they enjoyed the rapids run.
Perth grew on me! It was such a lively little town!

Index of my trip reports