Notices

Old 17 Aug 17, 02:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Ontario and Quebec 2017: Day 23 - A Boat Trip and Tubing

We actually had an agenda today - hiring a pontoon and tubing!

J and I were up at 7am and whilst he got the last things together, I made the picnic!

The kids got up, breakfast wad eaten and the car packed - you'd had thought we were going for a week!

We drove over to Blue Sea - they hadn't got our message but it wasn't a problem

The cost for the day was C$260 plus petrol - apparently most people use 10-15 litres ...

Off we went!

You can just make out Mont Morrisette (the right hand hill! ) - the first look out-tower we went up!

Blue Sea Lake is about 10km long - it has lots of inhabited islands - and some very nice properties!

Then it was time for the real event - tubing!

O went first - he loved it. The boat got up to about 27km/h. He would have happily gone faster!

Then it was F's turn - she did not like it! The problem was that as soon as you hit 10km/h the tube goes under a bit until you get to about 15km/h when it starts to skim the water.

F freaked when it went under so asked to slow down - so she never really hot above 5km/h!

J also had a go but fell off (down to the dodgy driving apparently )

We decided to find calm waters to have lunch - it was pretty cold on the water! I had donated my fleece to F and wore a thicker rash vest!

Lunch was sandwiches, crisps and oat cookies. Water for the kids, Starbucks' cold coffees for the adults!

We surprising passed a small church - what a nice location!

And a very posh boat house! Bigger than some houses! I love the blue roof - blue or bright red roofs are popular in Quebec!

I was also fascinated that the leave line on the trees next to the water were all the same level. I guess that is the highest water line?

Yes - that is me!

After everyone had another go (even F who was very brave - way out of her comfort zone! ) they were all surprised that I volunteered! As it may have been hinted at , I am not the most confident in water!

I was out about 30 minutes - and we even got up to 30km/h! I do surprise myself sometimes It was a bit disconcerting when the tube went underwater but as soon as the boat sped up it was fun!

O was very adventurous - he knelt up and most of the time was just balancing like that! He danced, he sang and was generally very happy!

We saw this boat - with a tractor and a skip full of gravel! It must have been going to one of the islands for a building project!

The afternoon continued with O,J and F all tubing again (F still didn't get over her fear of speed ) but they all had fun!

We eventually hot back yo dock at 6pm - 7 1/2 hours and 78km after we had left.

They refilled the tank - we had used 54 litres - the owner thought it was funny that we had managed to do so much in a day! I think most people just potter around! We just wanted to get the most out of it for us all - and we certainly did that!

I drove back - the boys unloaded the car whilst I made dinner - pasta and garlic bread again! Using up what is to hand

A nice sunset again - not as spectacular as yesterday but not bad

Considering we were sitting on a boat most of the day we are all shattered. Three of us are already in bed and the last one is about to go

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 03:11 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 17 Aug 17 3:11 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 17, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

What a fab day, looks like you all had lots of fun out on the boat, and you were so brave - don't think I'd have done that.
Old 17 Aug 17, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
What a fantastic day and well done for having a go on the tube

Joan
Old 17 Aug 17, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Yay...I bet your feeling very proud of yourself, I can't believe it-get back to your other cottage and do the rapids in the ring🙂 What a fantastic day, you really got your money's worth out of the boat.
OB1LukeLucas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 02:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
What a fab day, looks like you all had lots of fun out on the boat, and you were so brave - don't think I'd have done that.
Thank you - I think I amazed my three that I actually did it

Originally Posted by mick View Post
What a fantastic day and well done for having a go on the tube

Joan
It was a lovely day - we all enjoyed it!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
Yay...I bet your feeling very proud of yourself, I can't believe it-get back to your other cottage and do the rapids in the ring🙂 What a fantastic day, you really got your money's worth out of the boat.
I think the problem with the rapids was the fact that if I did it, it would be without J. So that would make me responsible for the kids! Does that make sense! Here I was just responsible for myself!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 17, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Lots of fun there .. Long day on the water but great way to see some interesting places .
You are brave doing the tubing, would scare the pants off me !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 17, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
LuvPluto
Proud to wear my Ears

Lovely day on the lake. Looks like great fun. Well done on doing the tubing.
LuvPluto is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 17, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Lots of fun there .. Long day on the water but great way to see some interesting places .
You are brave doing the tubing, would scare the pants off me !
It was sch a lovely day and the tubing was such a bonus. The kids have wanted to have a go since forever!

It actually wasn't so scary once you got going - and the water was quite warm!

Originally Posted by LuvPluto View Post
Lovely day on the lake. Looks like great fun. Well done on doing the tubing.
Thank you I enjoyed it a lot!

Index of my trip reports
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
The tubing looks great fun. I'm glad the weather stayed good for you Mel so that you could keep to your plans.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List