Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 27 Mar 19, 04:03 AM  
Link to this Post
chelynnah
VIP Dibber

chelynnah's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Gold Mobility Scooter Rental Recommendation

I hope this is ok to post here. I know there are often questions about where to rent from and I just had to share my recent experience with this company who I can’t rate highly enough. I have rented from another place a couple of times with ok experiences, and one frustrating experience, this was like night and day.

I first read about them on another popular Disney forum in their DISabilties forum. Then I checked out their trip advisor reviews, and finally their Facebook page. Nothing but rave reviews. It almost sounded too good to be true. Price, quality and customer service get top marks across the board. So the following is my personal review and experience renting from Feb 20 to 2 Mar:

I’ve rented from a couple of other places in the past which were good, but had hiccups. After reading the reviews here and on a Disney forum a few months back I phoned them from England to book and got Nick who answered all my questions and told me all about them. He asked for my mobile number so he could be in touch the night before to confirm and so we could be in touch after landing. I said it would be a UK number which wasn’t a problem for me with my plan but could be a problem with cost for them. He said not at all, they text them all the time. So I gave it to him and sure enough the night before I received the confirmation text from him while still at home in the UK.

When our plane landed I had a message waiting to ask if we’d landed yet and I said we had literally landed - not even off the plane yet so unsure how security would be.

We actually flew through security, waited on our cases, and then off to the DME. We walked straight on the bus. I sent him a message to say we were on the bus but might be a bit before pulling out. He wrote back to say he would head to the hotel now and didn’t mind waiting a bit.

So there he was waiting as we walked off. I went to sort the scooter with him while DH got the luggage. It was straightforward as I have the Pride GoGo Sport, so really the Victory is just a bigger version but works the same (and I’ve used it before).

He said currently there was nothing older than 3 months old in their fleet. Their goal is to have it all turned over before 6 months. It was in excellent condition. The fan and the USB charger were excellent touches. I never did use the phone holder. Handover took just a few minutes, but he would have taken as long as I needed to feel comfortable. We agreed on a 1pm pickup on our leaving day, but told me to contact him any time 24/7 if I needed anything, and if I wanted to change the time that was fine. He assured me again that all employees have APs so can access the parks in the rare event something goes wrong, so no need to attempt to get the scooter to the front. The 24/7 contact is a HUGE plus over the other companies who close between 8 and 10pm.

The scooter was awesome. We charged every night (except 1 which I’ll expand on in a minute) and our longest day was probably from 6:30am to midnight. On that day the first green light did go dark and at the end the secon flashed a bit going up hills. That’s impressive. I had been hesitant about using the fan or the USB to charge my phone, but when I saw how long the batteries held out I didn’t hesitate to use them and never pulled out my external charger that I’d brought with.

On one night we’d only been out from about dinner time till late, and somehow forgot to plug it in that night. I panicked a bit the next morning when I realised, but we had a slightly later morning and not so long a day so we headed off and it still lasted that whole day only losing one light and flashing a little with the second. I did bring the battery pack with us most days as a precaution but never needed it. On half days, or split days I’d just leave it in the room.

On our second last day we realised our DME back to the airport was later than we thought so we texted Nick to ask if we could change our time to 2pm from 1, but assured him it wasn’t a problem if it didn’t work for him. He was fine with it, and that gave us time to take the boat over to Disney Springs for an hour on our last day. We were back about 1:30 and got a text from him about 1:40 to say he was on his way over but not to rush, he was in the area and it was easier, but he was happy to wait for us. As it happened we were pretty much ready so we met him when he arrived, chatted for a bit and told him how impressed we were. He told us some of their expansion plans for the area (not California unfortunately) and really just a lovely guy/company with an excellent product and customer service. I tipped him $20 on pickup. Totally worth it.

As long as they’re around and keep doing what they’re doing I will absolutely continue renting from them in the future. All the hype is absolutely true.

Edit to add the tip was not necessary or expected - it was totally my choice, but I felt it was worth it.
WDW several trips as a child; WDW 1993 on working vacation; DLP Sept 2003 - Newport Bay Hotel; WDW January 2007 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; DLP Sept 2008 - DLH; WDW/US/BG January 2013 - offsite HGVC Tuscany Suites; WDW/US and MVMCP Nov 2015 - offsite townhouse; DLP Sept 2016 - Hotel B&B; WDW Feb 2017 - POFQ; DLP June 2017 - SL GF; DLP Sept 2017 - NPB CC; DLP Nov 2018 - SL; WDW Feb 2019 - WDW Princess Half POFQ; DLP Sept 2019 - SL & DLH;

Edited at 04:05 AM.
chelynnah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
lorimac
Serious Dibber

Really helpful review. Thank you. I’ve been looking at the various ecv rental companies and Gold were one of my top three to consider.
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

We also had a great experience with them last year. When I originally booked with them I paid using my Revolut card and noticed that it said that I had made a purchase from a different company, but the amount was correct, so I e-mailed to ask if they were perhaps owned by someone else and what should have appeared as a reference. I got a phone call back, on my mobile, 10 minutes later to apologise and to say that they'd look into it as it all looked OK from their end. I got 2 more calls from them within 2 hours to say that it was a problem with their billing company and they'd get it corrected and then to check that it was all sorted.

Delivery and collection to an offsite, gate community, was excellent with a friendly young man who also loaded the scooter straight into the back of our SUV. We made sure to charge it every day, but didn't once have to top it up when out, unlike the scooter we rented the year before which one day only got me as far from the car park at MK to Crystal Palace before dying (but that was a WHOLE different story!).

So, another thumbs up from me - oh, and also, they were the cheapest at the time. I would rent from them again this year without hesitation, but am in the process of buying my own folding powerchair.

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List